Finally got a chance to turn something

discussion of the niceties of turning on a bow, bungee or pole lathe.

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

Finally got a chance to turn something

Postby Darrell » Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:52 am

I like using the pole lathe, but Life has a habit of getting in the way when I try and do any woodworking stuff. I brought my lathe to the SBFG event last weekend (large International Scout Camp with a war of 1812 re-enactment theme, see http://www.sbfg.ca for details) but the weather did not cooperate. At all. The whole of Saturday it rained, from 1 AM till 8 PM. All the available shelter space was for people, no room for a lathe.

This weekend the weather is perfect! And I have a pile of still-green-but-not-for-long stock to use up. It's some kind of maple. probably what they call a Norway maple around here. I had split and shaved it to roughly round before last weekend's camp. And dragged it a couple hundred kilometers in the vain hope that I could put on my puffy shirt and breeches at camp and play Bodger.

So this morning I set up the lathe in the front yard. The better to frighten the neighbours, eh? I planned on making a pair of tea tables or candle stands. Or, I guess they could be beer or cider tables too, depending on your tastes. My daughter too the pictures with my cell phone, sorry about the poor quality.

Partway through the first table column I was stung by a yellow jacket wasp. Owch! I took some antihistamines and waited for a bit, no reaction beyond a sore finger, so back to work I went. A bit more careful to watch out for those d*mned wasps. I finished the parts for one table before lunch, and went back out in the afternoon to make up the second set. The day warmed up but the tree kept me shaded in the afternoon. A few neighbours stopped to chat and watch me work. Nobody wanted to give it a go, but they seemed quite interested and impressed. The kids all thought it was a catapult. "There's one in every neighbourhood. In mine, I'm him."

I took the pieces to the shop this evening and bored the holes and assembled the tables. They ended up 26 inches high. The tops are 12 inches in diameter, the width of the scrap pine I had at hand. Now all I need to do is slather on a couple coats of shellac. I am so very much out of practice, that these awful shapes were all I could coax out of the stock.

One for my wife, one for a friend. And there are enough bits left to make a couple of stools.

Darrell
Wood Hoarder, Blade Sharpener, and Occasional Tool User
Darrell
Regular

Re: Finally got a chance to turn something

Postby Robin Fawcett » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:30 am

Interesting post Darrell...
I like the turning on the one on the left best but think it could do with getting slimmer toward the top. How do you mount the table top to the column?
http://www.facebook.com/GreenWoodwork?ref=tn_tnmn[url=http://www.treewright.co.uk/]
Green woodwork courses, treen, demonstrations & talks http://www.treewright.co.uk[/url]
Robin Fawcett
Site Admin

Postby gavin » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:43 pm

And how did you align the holes for the legs?
I struggle with such compound alignment problems, so I bought Paul Hayden's cunning boring machine and have only just got it set up in a chassis. He'd demonstrated this at BB2013. Pix here.
Gavin Phillips

- teacher, demonstrator & supporter of greenwoodworking & human-powered turning
- Supplier of Fun & Confidence

info@shed-therapy.com
http://www.shed-therapy.com
gavin
Regular

Postby Darrell » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:50 pm

Hi Robin,

Yes, my turnings are woefully inadequate, but I console myself that this was practice, and I will get better. I might put the things back on the lathe if I get a nice day next weekend, sharpen my tools, and then sharpen my skills.

The table top has a support block screwed to it, and the block has a 1 inch diameter hole bored through it. The column has a 1 inch diameter tenon turned on the end to fit the block. Some glue would complete the assembly, but it's all just jammed together for now. As I said, I may take another shot at the turning.

Gavin, the holes were bored with a brace and bit. I held the work in a vise and used a bevel gauge to set the angle. I think it's about 12 degrees. I used a set of dividers to step off the locations of the holes. Set dividers to approx size, step around the column 6 times, adjust the dividers until the six steps meet back at the same point. Then you drill at every second point. Marking them before starting to drill is a really good idea too. DAMHIKT.

Darrell
Wood Hoarder, Blade Sharpener, and Occasional Tool User
Darrell
Regular

Return to Polelathe turning