Andre Roubo Spring Pole Lathe

discussion of the niceties of turning on a bow, bungee or pole lathe.

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

Andre Roubo Spring Pole Lathe

Postby Bob Jones » Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:43 am

Hello! This is my first post here. My name is Bob and I live in the USA (in the south). I've been reading through these boards for a few weeks now and learning a lot! I thought I would "give something back" and post a link to some information that I think readers here will find helpful. Yes, it is my blog and no, it is not for self promotion. With the help of a couple of other woodworkers I was able to acquire an Andre Roubo text describing the spring pole lathe of his day and the tools used with it. I used google translate to translate it to English (I don't read French), and I spend several hours cleaning up the wording. I am currently planning to build my first lathe using his descriptions (not reproduction, just using the general ideas). Here is a link to the translated and original texts. I hope someone here finds it useful.

http://thechristiantoolcabinet.wordpres ... -by-roubo/

Another post that I'm really proud of is linked below. It is an "interview" I had with a man named Warren Mickley. He's an American (like me) who has decades of experience as a professional woodturner using spring pole lathes. I've learned a lot from email exchanges with him.

http://thechristiantoolcabinet.wordpres ... use-today/

I'm enjoying this forum. Tons of great information here!
that you also aspire to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business, and to work with your own hands, as we commanded you...
1 Thessalonians 4:11

my blog - thechristiantoolcabinet.wordpress.com
Bob Jones

Re: Andre Roubo Spring Pole Lathe

Postby SeanHellman » Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:28 pm

Thanks for posting this, some interesting info here. This is certainly a shop lathe and involves a fair bit of construction. Do post your build up here, I am sure we would all love to see how you get on.
"Scarcely anything is original- it`s very hard to be totally inventive, so I am not terribly interested in originality. Vitality is all I care about" Clive James
Green wood courses, tools, demonstrations.
http://www.seanhellman.com/woodwork/
SeanHellman
Regular

Postby Bob Jones » Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:47 am

Thanks Sean. Yeah, this is definately not a portable model. I really like my Roubo style bench for flat work, so I figured I would give his lathe a go, too. Time will tell what works best. I'll post more as I have it.
that you also aspire to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business, and to work with your own hands, as we commanded you...
1 Thessalonians 4:11

my blog - thechristiantoolcabinet.wordpress.com
Bob Jones

Postby jrccaim » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:04 am

Anything by Roubo is worth doing. The Roubo workbench is a jewel and many people have done approximations of it. See the net. . As Sean remarked the lathe is a fair bit of construction. It is a massive lathe and not easy to transport. I personally love mass. When you apply a tool to the work some of the force goes into cutting. The rest goes into deforming or tipping the lathe Roughly the ratio of mass of work divided by mass of lathe is the deformation (or tipping) of the lathe. So an infinitely massive lathe would not deform at all. Nonsense, of course, because the centers themselves will spring a bit. But for bodger work the Roubo lathe is more than enough. I would still advise you to use the heaviest wood you can find for the frame. And, of course, if you turn small work and do not apply a severe cut, then almost anything will do, even a portable lathe.
jrccaim
Regular

Return to Polelathe turning