Pole Lathe

discussion of the niceties of turning on a bow, bungee or pole lathe.

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

Re: Pole Lathe

Postby adrapper » Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:50 pm

Hi all,

I now have most of my Pole Lathe finished... well at least well started... still some cleaning up pencil lines etc to go.

I thought I would give you all an update.

I have a two bed easy dismantle pole lathe that is a combination of several lathes that each had a bit I liked and other elements that I did not.

It is a fully wood only lathe, except for the... ummm... metal bits in the poppets and a nut and bolt in the tredal as a pivot point... oh and the bungee and cord.

The arms for the bungee can be left off if is it being used with a pole, but gives the convenience of inside or compact floor area use.

I still have not finalized my design for the tool rest. Most people seem to have it at about the same hight as the poppet centers but I have not decided how to make it adjustable for turning small items and largeish bowls.

I have made it around seven foot long so it can do chair legs etc, but think maybe a smaller one would have been a better starter lathe.

I made it from beach.... I was hoping to use oak, but I could not afford that at this time.

Some of the beach was VERY hard to work, and I might have been better with soft wood as a starter.

Images attached.

Lathe dismantled

Andrew Drapppers Lathe 02.jpeg
Andrew Drapppers Lathe 02.jpeg (197.05 KiB) Viewed 3723 times

Lathe five minutes later

Andrew Drappers Lathe 01.jpg
Andrew Drappers Lathe 01.jpg (191.61 KiB) Viewed 3723 times
adrapper

Postby SeanHellman » Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:58 pm

Great lathe,I like the way you have done the bed with tenons into the leg post and the wedge holding in the bungee posts.
"Scarcely anything is original- it`s very hard to be totally inventive, so I am not terribly interested in originality. Vitality is all I care about" Clive James
Green wood courses, tools, demonstrations.
http://www.seanhellman.com/woodwork/
SeanHellman
Regular

Postby adrapper » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:13 am

Thanks Sean,

Yesy the long tenons seam to work well. quite stable when being out up too as there is a lot of movement before a leg comes out. The only thing that it has meant is that if I am not using the bungee posts I need two little fake bungee posts to keep the joint tight, (or bigger wedges), and that is more to lose. I am thinking of tying each bit, wedge etc to its main part with a short string so nothing can get lost, but that might be a little messy. alternatively I could use a nice bag for all the little bits.

Have a great day.
adrapper

Postby jrccaim » Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:32 am

Original question: two beds or one? I suppose that by "bed" the originator meant "rails." Also known as "ways." Well, the criterion is rigidity. Single bed with a slot is just as good as two -- if the single bed is thick enough in relation to it's length. Since I found that cuting a slot is a royal pain in the, erm, gluteus maximus, I have opted for double ways and made the poppets to fit. Brilliant idea to cut slot with chainsaw, but be warned, this is a plunge cut and quite dangerous. See the many chainsaw posts on this board.

Sorry for the long absence from bodgers. Been difficult. More later.
jrccaim
Regular

Previous

Return to Polelathe turning