outdoor lathes

discussion of the niceties of turning on a bow, bungee or pole lathe.

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

outdoor lathes

Postby robgorrell » Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:03 pm

Hi all. I have noticed in the images that a lot of you have your lathes either outdoors or under a shed roof, mostly exposed to the weather. Do you cover them when not in use? I am getting ready to start a third attempt for a pole lathe and am considering installing it outdoors to save space in my indoor shop.

Thanks,

Rob
robgorrell
Regular

Re: outdoor lathes

Postby gavin » Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:47 pm

robgorrell wrote:Hi all. I have noticed in the images that a lot of you have your lathes either outdoors or under a shed roof, mostly exposed to the weather. Do you cover them when not in use? I am getting ready to start a third attempt for a pole lathe and am considering installing it outdoors to save space in my indoor shop.

Thanks,

Rob

I'd bring your poppet heads and your treadle in from the weather. The iron work ( centres and screw-fixings) will rust otherwise. The bed and support you could make of rot-resistant timber e.g. oak, or preserved softwood.

I would not cover them with a tarp. That will soon blow off or chafe and end up with holes.

You could have a fold-down lathe e.g. Mike Abbott's Pole lathe 2000. When I had one, I really did not put it up and down much. Far more convenient to have one set up and ready to drop your poppet heads in. You should get at least one season from it.
Gavin Phillips

- teacher, demonstrator & supporter of greenwoodworking & human-powered turning
- Supplier of Fun & Confidence

info@shed-therapy.com
http://www.shed-therapy.com
gavin
Regular

Return to Polelathe turning