Mini pole lathe. Is it possible, will it work?

discussion of the niceties of turning on a bow, bungee or pole lathe.

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

Mini pole lathe. Is it possible, will it work?

Postby Wiffa1 » Tue May 24, 2016 8:14 pm

My pole lathe spinning days have been over for a while due to arthritis in my knee. I have now adapted my shave horse to be a carving vice and tine cutter horse but I am wondering if I can modify further to create some kind of treadle lathe. It would need to be simple to build reasonably light, and obviously can come to pieces. I would only use it to make coat pegs, dibbers, buttons etc. I figure it would not strain my joint too much as I could sit and use my good left leg instead of using it to balance and would make a different novelty factor at the events I cover. I have looked at the bow lathe but I think the scrunched up position would not agree with my spine (falling to bits me)
I am wondering if there are plans of a previous build you may know of or possibly you can see a flaw in my plan. I figure if an 8 inch wooden automata man can make a pole lathe work as we saw at the Bodgers ball maybe I can work a tiny version too!

Thanks for your time
Wiffa1
Regular

Re: Mini pole lathe. Is it possible, will it work?

Postby SeanHellman » Tue May 24, 2016 9:00 pm

Go for it Heather, of course its possible. Not sure how its to be done and I have not got the time to put thought into it at the moment. I would suggest lots of drawings to explore ideas and maybe then a cheap mock up but working version from cheap wood. This will soon tell you how and what need stop be changed in order for it to work perfectly. I also often just sit or lay down and visualise in my minds eye what it could look like. I find this design process to be great fun. I look forward to seeing your ideas and will also be happy to advise if you get stuck.
"Scarcely anything is original- it`s very hard to be totally inventive, so I am not terribly interested in originality. Vitality is all I care about" Clive James
Green wood courses, tools, demonstrations.
http://www.seanhellman.com/woodwork/
SeanHellman
Regular

Re: Mini pole lathe. Is it possible, will it work?

Postby Davie Crockett » Wed May 25, 2016 3:03 pm

Hi Heather, Jane Mickleborough made a treadle type lathe from an old sewing machine base which she took to BB2015: https://www.facebook.com/JaneSpoons/photos/a.620996954602415.1073741870.520759317959513/620997304602380/?type=3&theater You can still find foot engines which are a little heavier than the wheel on a sewing machine. both are designed to be operated from sitting position and won't stress your knees too much.
foot engine.jpg
Foot Engines
foot engine.jpg (52.38 KiB) Viewed 3364 times
AKA Dave Munday
Davie Crockett
Regular

Return to Polelathe turning