why is there so little chair making discussion?

Discuss new ways of doing things, old ways adapted to new contexts.

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

why is there so little chair making discussion?

Postby Donald Todd » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:57 pm

As a fairly long term contributor to the Bodger's Gazette I get the impression that the Web site is very focussed on bowl turning and has a good number of active contributors. Why so few contribute to the gazette is peculiar, as it has a much smaller readership. The great thing about the web site is that you do get responses to what you put in, even though they may not be welcome or useful, and of course it's fast. I would like to see a more active forum on chair making, which seems strangely absent.

On a lighter note: Bodger's Gazette; a publication all to himself!
He even had a Ball all to himself this year.
It's been like this for years. No wonder the Web site is so popular.
Donald Todd
Regular

Location: Kilspindie, Carse of Gowrie, Scotland (halfway between Perth and Dundee)

Re: This BB to supersede or influence Bodgers' Gazette?

Postby Andy Coates » Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:19 am

I've wondered why it isn't Bodgers' ...glad I'm not alone.

We have the same problem with Revolutions, the newsletter of the AWGB. We pay £50 per page for contributions and still struggle. I know many other association journals have a similar problem, and can only put it down to the different levels of enthusiasm.
Andy Coates
Regular

Postby Nicola Wood » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:41 am

Andy Coates wrote:I've wondered why it isn't Bodgers' ...glad I'm not alone.

Me too ... I'm a little embarrassed about my old-fashioned obsession with apostrophes so I've never mentioned it before :oops:

To Don - I think the Gazette and the Forum serve different audiences. On here you tend to have active (and internet-savvy) makers who are doing stuff and solving problems. I guess it's quite bowl-orientated because there is little information anywhere else to help bowl turners. The Gazette maybe suits more casual members, those who are interested in it rather than actively doing it. It's difficult to get folk to write for it because so many craftsmen are not strong at writing ... I think you'll find a very high proportion of dyslexics amongst the Bodgers!
Nicola Wood
Regular

Postby Declan Kenny » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:50 am

Don't be ashamed! If you wince every time you see a sign for "fruit and vegetable's" or "taxi's for hire" then you are not alone!
Maybe the misplaced apostrophe is nothing of the sort. It could be subliminally correct. After all, bodging is a singular occupation, as is vanishing into your shed for hours on end. All of which reminds me I need to put a few handles on some hook's. Whoops, sorry... hooks.
It's a sad day when you don't learn anything
Declan Kenny
Regular

Postby Donald Todd » Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:07 pm

"Eats, Shoots & Leaves" by Lynne Truss is a good read on this subject. More generally, I go by how a sentence sounds to decide where to put commas. My punctuation still isn't very good, but I do try, even on the Web and e-mail.
Interestingly, Dyslexia is more common among Left-handers. I've just started reading "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain" (1992 edition) by Betty Edwards, which has some interesting discussion on the causes, symptoms and prejudices. For example left-handers, like me, are usually adept at mirror writing. There is a greater proportion of left-handers who are more "bilateral"; these people have more problems telling left from right! Those forced to be right handed tend to have similar problems.
I was an AWGB member for a few years and even submitted a couple of articles. I found that there was no editorial control and some people were obviously exploiting the payment of £50/page. In one case, the Editor told me he didn't understand one 5 page article, which was 50% repetition!
Donald Todd
Regular

Location: Kilspindie, Carse of Gowrie, Scotland (halfway between Perth and Dundee)

Postby Declan Kenny » Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:37 pm

A man after my own heart! I'm the only one I know who uses proper spelling in a text message, and I also note you used a semi-colon! Great little device, the old semi-colon, and under-used (and unloved).
Now, back to the shed...
Declan Kenny
Regular

Postby Nicola Wood » Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:43 pm

Ahhh a punctuation love-in :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Nicola Wood
Regular

Postby Andy Coates » Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:45 pm

There's probaly a forum somewhere just for those of us with a punctuation-inspired nervous tick; maybe I'll go and look for it no..w?

On a stall at a craft fair recently...

Babies Rattle
£10

I've seen this in a book at some time, but thought it anecdotal...

but you do wonder why they rattle!
Andy Coates
Regular

Postby Donald Todd » Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:23 pm

To get back to the point; why is there so little on chair making? I'm interested in other peoples take on all aspects, especially steam bending and seating, but also seat carving and joints. I know Robin Fawcett makes chairs; who else?

I'm not sure about all these semicolons!
Donald Todd
Regular

Postby Declan Kenny » Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:38 pm

I suspect the answer is that the site is largely about turning, which began with spindle work and has expanded to bowls. It seems logical that chairs would eventually feature, assuming you are going to make something out of all those spindles! I suspect too that if someone were to kick it all off, then it would become a mainstay, as per the bowls.
Let's just hope the same can't be said of punctuation...
Declan Kenny
Regular

Postby robin wood » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:49 pm

Yep, the topics you see are the ones that get started by folk. When the forum started getting regular use a year or so ago there were a few of us doing the bulk of the posting and thread starting with an interest in bowls. It is surprising that we have a bowl section and not a chair section. I would suggest you start a new thread asking for advice or examples on whatever aspects of chairs. Get a few threads like that running and soon we may need to start a whole new chair section to put them in. Most forums have many lurkers who read but don't post for every regular poster, many of those may be chairmakers so post away and lets see who joins in.
http://www.robin-wood.co.uk bowls, books and courses
robin wood
Regular

Postby Robin Fawcett » Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:58 pm

Donald Todd wrote: why is there so little on chair making?

I did start a thread on Chairmaking over a year ago Donald.

http://www.bodgers.org.uk/bb/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=570

It fizzled out due to lack of support/interest.
http://www.facebook.com/GreenWoodwork?ref=tn_tnmn[url=http://www.treewright.co.uk/]
Green woodwork courses, treen, demonstrations & talks http://www.treewright.co.uk[/url]
Robin Fawcett
Site Admin

Postby Donald Todd » Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:59 pm

I think it would be most effective to start a number of threads, otherwise everything might end up in one enormous thread. There is a tendency for threads to digress and end covering a number of topics. It's human nature, I know, and can lead to some very interesting conversations, but we should try to curb our tendency to wander off the point, often into the subject matter of another thread! A lot of sharply focussed threads would be the most useful for someone browsing for a specific answer.

I need to scan and compress earlier photos to launch some topics. Prepare for (another) barrage!
Donald Todd
Regular

Postby Nicola Wood » Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:04 am

Donald Todd wrote:I think it would be most effective to start a number of threads, otherwise everything might end up in one enormous thread. There is a tendency for threads to digress and end covering a number of topics. It's human nature, I know, and can lead to some very interesting conversations, but we should try to curb our tendency to wander off the point, often into the subject matter of another thread! A lot of sharply focussed threads would be the most useful for someone browsing for a specific answer.

Whilst it is better that new discussions start in new threads, if threads conversationally wander (like this one has!!) it is possible for us clever mods to split bits out of threads and make them into new ones. If you see one that has wandered off from its original heading and would be best split then you can pm one of us and ask.
Nicola Wood
Regular

Postby Donald Todd » Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:35 am

Thanks, it's good to know you can do that. Using "Search" or Bob's Index can give an awful lot of hits, but they do seem to be effective.
How do you get to Bob's Index. I used a link on a PM.
Donald Todd
Regular

Next

Return to Experiments and Ideas AKA Heretic's Corner