why is there so little chair making discussion?

Discuss new ways of doing things, old ways adapted to new contexts.

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

Re: why is there so little chair making discussion?

Postby Donald Todd » Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:38 pm

gavin wrote:There is little chair making discussion here because chairs take a long time to make - even for the skilled, who will have a workshop set up for that purpose.……
Jim Steele makes chairs and sells these for ( I think) £300 to £700

Seems you were wrong Gavin: anyone can bash one together with a hammer!
Donald Todd
Regular

Location: Kilspindie, Carse of Gowrie, Scotland (halfway between Perth and Dundee)

Postby emjay » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:42 pm

If you fear there is a chance of the leg splitting as you drill, or force an oval tenon into a round hole try putting a jubilee clip each side of the hole. Once the tenon is forced home there is little chance of it splitting later.
Mick.
emjay
Regular

Postby Donald Todd » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:15 pm

Have you actually tried that? I doubt it would be effective. The post takes months to dry completely.
If you have gone to the trouble of turning a post to a good finish, the last thing you want is the imprint of a jubilee clip or bruising from a hammer. Both these approaches damage the structure of the wood, whereas my approach is to remove the wood from the mortise without compromising the surrounding material. The 19th century chairmakers used spoon bits which removed material without damaging the surrounding wood.
I don't think you appreciate that the wood cannot recover if crushed beyond a certain point.
Donald Todd
Regular

Location: Kilspindie, Carse of Gowrie, Scotland (halfway between Perth and Dundee)

Postby gavin » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:28 pm

Donald Todd wrote:If you have gone to the trouble of turning a post to a good finish, the last thing you want is the imprint of a jubilee clip or bruising from a hammer.

It may be that Donald's comments are driven in the fact he seems to turn all his components.
I'd be interested to hear your comment Donald if you were to make a simple cube stool from the shave-horse i.e. nothing turned except the tenons. And if making a shaved stool is more than you care to do, then you could try just a single rung driven into a shaved ( not turned) post and then drive the other tenon into a new shaved post. You'll have a test 'H' piece.
I will try turning a leg and whacking that with the hammer onto a tenon to observe how much the leg's surface is marred by the hammer.
I'll post images shortly of a hammer-whacked joint and my later sections through it with the saw.
Later edit:
For images of ]sections of tenons whacked together with METAL hammer, refer here.
Last edited by gavin on Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gavin Phillips

- teacher, demonstrator & supporter of greenwoodworking & human-powered turning
- Supplier of Fun & Confidence

info@shed-therapy.com
http://www.shed-therapy.com
gavin
Regular

Postby Donald Todd » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:11 pm

I think you're all missing the point.: battering and crushing the wood weakens it. I've only made 60+ pieces of furniture of all kinds, including this rung and post chair with shaved only back posts. We are supposed to be working with the wood, not trying to see how much abuse it can stand by cutting corners.
Donald Todd
Regular

Postby emjay » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:16 pm

No, i've not tried it Donald, it was just a thought. All my legs are shaved not turned. I do use jubilee clips at each end of the tenons for the back slats on my ladder back chairs, but this is just to set the length and to prevent me bruising the ends of the tenon when levering with the chisel. They don't mark the wood, but if they did I could spoke shave them clean.
Mick
emjay
Regular

Postby Donald Todd » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:31 am

emjay,
I think you mean the mortises, but that is is a good idea if there is sufficient material to let you clean off the marks. On my chairs with shaved posts I go over the posts with a cabinet scraper once the chair is finished. The chair I showed is made of Wych Elm and was a pig to work with all tools because of the wayward grain and knots.
Gavin, I did all these sorts of test years ago. Making a stool out of turned parts is simply more involved; assembly is just the same.
Here is a previous discussion on chair joints.
Donald Todd
Regular

Postby Robin Fawcett » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:02 am

emjay wrote: ...to prevent me bruising the ends of the tenon when levering with the chisel.

If you're bruising the end cheeks of your mortices you're not cutting them properly. Have a look at Peter Follansbee doing it on this triangular stool in Roy Underhill's Woodwright's Shop http://video.unctv.org/video/2270257698
You can also drill a hole at each end of the mortice and form the ends of the tenons to fit (I think this looks better...)
http://www.facebook.com/GreenWoodwork?ref=tn_tnmn[url=http://www.treewright.co.uk/]
Green woodwork courses, treen, demonstrations & talks http://www.treewright.co.uk[/url]
Robin Fawcett
Site Admin

Postby emjay » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:51 pm

Mortice not tenon, I'm always getting that wrong. Robin, I may not be cutting them properly, but I'm not much of a carpenter and found the clips help. I've only got a 1/4 inch standard chisel. I do drill a series of holes (as per Mike Abbot) but I prefer the square end, I think it looks more "hand made".
Mick
emjay
Regular

Postby emjay » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:47 pm

Jubilee clips to help control the mortice
Attachments
DSCN4832 (Small).JPG
DSCN4832 (Small).JPG (46.25 KiB) Viewed 10576 times
emjay
Regular

Postby emjay » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:20 pm

A set of octagonal legs for a welsh stick chair. I've been wanting to make one with legs like this since seeing an original old chair a few years ago. On that one the sticks were also octagonal, but I'm not too sure about doing that
Attachments
DSCN4905 (Small).JPG
DSCN4905 (Small).JPG (51.87 KiB) Viewed 10529 times
emjay
Regular

Postby emjay » Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:02 pm

I've recently made a Kentucky stick chair from sawn oak. Not green wood I know but I've just tried one from coppiced hazel and it works well. It's a good use of coppiced sticks. No joints, just 4 strands of galvanised fence wire hold it all together.
Pip
Attachments
DSCN5010.jpg
DSCN5010.jpg (74.42 KiB) Viewed 9160 times
emjay
Regular

Postby gavin » Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:41 am

That looks good!
Gavin Phillips

info@shed-therapy.com
gavin
Regular

Postby emjay » Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:52 pm

Thanks Gavin. I've nearly finished a third. They're simple to make, only take a few hours.
On a different subject. Is anyone going to the National Forest Wood Fair at the end of this month?
Pip.
emjay
Regular

Postby gavin » Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:34 am

do these chairs fold?
Have you plans?
or tell me where I can get them?
Gavin Phillips

info@shed-therapy.com
gavin
Regular

PreviousNext