rotten log project

Discuss new ways of doing things, old ways adapted to new contexts.

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

rotten log project

Postby hyperion » Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:28 pm

not too sure where this is oing to go, but i was looking to do some thing different after my last stool seat thingy so ive been up into the woods today and got this

the first bit of scraping, sawing and chopping seems to be revealing some decent wood though the underside is very waterlogged

hopefully if there is a few inches thickness of decent timber in there and it all holds together as it drys it should make a nice seat, stool, small table thingy and if not it can always join the loggery at the bottom of the garden! :D

cheers
pete
hyperion
Regular

Re: rotten log project

Postby Donald Todd » Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:17 pm

The stool here was a similar log of Ash with a rotten core. It still split, preventing me from using the half circle that was originally available.
Donald Todd
Regular

Location: Kilspindie, Carse of Gowrie, Scotland (halfway between Perth and Dundee)

Postby Bob_Fleet » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:07 pm

Have you thought of shitake mushrooms? :lol:

It depends on what you think you've still got once its dry.
Quite often the first task is to find out what you have to work with before you decide.
I had a large elm burr with various options and it sat for ages and eventually I came to some idea of what I could best get out of it.

Looks like a good project.
http://www.onegoodturn.co.uk

Society is like a stew. If you don't keep it stirred up, you get a lot of scum on top.--Edward Abbey

Come and see us all at http://www.wooplaw.org.uk
Bob_Fleet
Regular

Postby hyperion » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:19 pm

Donald Todd wrote:The stool here was a similar log of Ash with a rotten core. It still split, preventing me from using the half circle that was originally available.

i love that stool! great idea!

ive been digging about in it just the now and it seems pretty solid all over, going to try and split some bigger bits off it in the morning
hyperion
Regular

Postby hyperion » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:58 pm

well ive been hacking, sawing and chopping most of the day and its a shadow of its former self

im hoping these old fence posts will be up to making some legs to turn it into a stool
hyperion
Regular

Return to Experiments and Ideas AKA Heretic's Corner