Axe mask

Discuss new ways of doing things, old ways adapted to new contexts.

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

Axe mask

Postby RJWEcology » Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:50 pm

Hi all,

I thought I'd have a go at making the axe mask from this video. It turned out pretty well but I think I'll add a slither of leather inside to protect the edge and to stop the wood from splitting if I drop the whole thing! What do you think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhi3ZvIg ... yg&index=1

“When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world” ~ John Muir
RJWEcology
Regular

Re: Axe mask

Postby voodooalpaca » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:53 am

Good video, and good first (free) axe cover.
Like the idea, I was in a bit of a hurry and knocked some of these up from off cuts of wood glued together a while back, and they last really well. I went for a fit where the sharp bit never touched the wood - the sides jammed tight before the blade reached the bottom. However they do have a tendancy to fall off, so the inner tube idea is a must make attachment. Of course this will be harder with my thin wood as there is no much to nail into! I might have to drill little holes and "speedy stitch" it together.
Phill
voodooalpaca
Regular

Postby RJWEcology » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:11 am

The fit isn't perfect but its a good start. I'll certainly make more in the future and try to refine the shape so the fit is better. Again, my friend suggested some leather (or something similar) for the inside to help protect the edge and to act as a cushion should I drop it!
“When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world” ~ John Muir
RJWEcology
Regular

Postby ToneWood » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:14 pm

I like the idea of adding leather inside. Sean Hellman's videos are excellent (and he is active on this forum :)). I was inspired by the same video. Firstly to create masks/guards for my draw-knives (I have 3 now!) and secondly to get to grips with using a mortice chisel - I hadn't really grasped all that they could do until I saw Sean in action, great fun and something I am still working on.
ToneWood
Regular

Postby RJWEcology » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:31 pm

ToneWood wrote:masks/guards for my draw-knives (I have 3 now!)

I'd like to see them! How did you get it to attach? My drawknife is a curved French one so it may be a bit more difficult to get it to fit (unless I make the gap wider and not curved). Hmmm :?
RJWEcology
Regular

Postby ToneWood » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:48 pm

Two of them + a similar froe guard are are shown on this thread: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2282&start=45

I just used string to secure them :) Actually English-made polyester washing line (£1 for a long spool maybe 20-50m, I have several and use it for all sorts of thing)
- actually it's a little too stiff and/or thick. I might switch it for something else later, or perhaps just remove one of the 3 strands. Just don't see bailing twine around anymore :( :D.
Last edited by ToneWood on Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ToneWood
Regular

Postby RJWEcology » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:29 pm

Wicked! I'll give it a go when I next get a chance.
RJWEcology
Regular

Postby SeanHellman » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:53 pm

RJWEcology wrote:The fit isn't perfect but its a good start. I'll certainly make more in the future and try to refine the shape so the fit is better. Again, my friend suggested some leather (or something similar) for the inside to help protect the edge and to act as a cushion should I drop it!

I would not worry about the edge of the axe coming in contact with the bottom of the mask, even if dropped. I use ash and beech for mine and I doubt that the mask would break if dropped. A softwood may split if dropped. An axe is used for chopping wood, so why should it be a problem in the mask?
Thanks for the thumbs up on the videos, when I have more time I will shoot more. I also hope to improve the lighting, fluorescent tubes and mixed with daylight are not the most flattering.
"Scarcely anything is original- it`s very hard to be totally inventive, so I am not terribly interested in originality. Vitality is all I care about" Clive James
Green wood courses, tools, demonstrations.
http://www.seanhellman.com/woodwork/
SeanHellman
Regular

Return to Experiments and Ideas AKA Heretic's Corner