Ebony Spoon

Discuss new ways of doing things, old ways adapted to new contexts.

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

Re: Ebony Spoon

Postby Ian G » Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:47 pm

gavin wrote:
Ian G wrote:Hi Gavin, I'm a bit too far from you, I'm up in Argyll. So sorry I can't make one of your shed therapy meetings. But don't worry I'm very chilled out in my own shed...up to my ankles in wood shavings, very busy bowl turning and spoon carving. Just about to post a new thread about carving.
Ian

Ah - do you know Olvin Smith? You jolly well should. Look him up in Bodgers Membership directory . If you are not member of Bodgers Assn, you should be.

Hi Gavin, I've been a member of the APT for many, many years. I don't know Olvin, I'll look him up.

Ian
Ian G
Regular

Postby Ian G » Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:54 pm

Wandrika wrote:Ian, thanks for the comments - so I'll give it a try and carve the ebony blank.
BTW, judging from the list of woods you carved, I thought you were from Australia at first :D
I'm glad that I'm not the only person to collect spoons from various woods - keep up the good work!

No not Australia......give me the west coast of Scotland any day. I'm lucky enough to work in a very large mature garden so when I'm either pruning or sorting storm damage I come across a whole load of different woods. My boss used to wood turn so he's always encouraging me to take a bit for turning.

Ian
Ian G
Regular

Postby Jan Krobot » Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:24 pm

...spoons from many different kinds of wood...

Hmmm, interesting idea. I guess i'll try it too:)
Thaks for ispiration
Jan Krobot
Regular

Postby Wandrika » Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:11 pm

Hi all, I haven't finished the ebony spoon yet (I had to sharpen my knife very often and I was quite lazy lately). But I thought I could share the work in progress.
Both the bowl and the handle will be a bit thinner. Then I will use Dremel and high speed cutter bits to carve the handle decorations. I used just a very small carving knife on the birch prototype - I stabbed with the blade deep into the wood and then removed a layer of wood between two cuts - but I surely can't stab the ebony wood with any tool without breaking it (the tool, not the wood :lol: )
Attachments
unfinished2.jpg
Side view
unfinished2.jpg (73.23 KiB) Viewed 6912 times
unfinished1.jpg
Top view
unfinished1.jpg (72.15 KiB) Viewed 6912 times
Wandrika

Postby Wandrika » Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:35 pm

So, I finished it at last! The whole process is documented here: http://wandrika-en.blogspot.sk/2015/04/pitch-black-spoon.html
Wandrika

Postby Ian G » Tue May 05, 2015 6:53 pm

Hi Wandrika ,nice to see the end result, beautiful spoon.

Ian G
Ian G
Regular

Previous

Return to Experiments and Ideas AKA Heretic's Corner