Bicycle grinder ?

Discuss new ways of doing things, old ways adapted to new contexts.

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

Postby Bob_Fleet » Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:26 am

Another take on it with a scroll saw
Comes from an interesting site too.
http://villagecarpenter.blogspot.com/

Bob
http://www.onegoodturn.co.uk

Society is like a stew. If you don't keep it stirred up, you get a lot of scum on top.--Edward Abbey

Come and see us all at http://www.wooplaw.org.uk
Bob_Fleet
Regular

Postby riptoff » Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:54 pm

Hi, back again. I have now completed Mk2 grinder; what I did is this:
1. I spun wheel and with a wide turning gouge removed tread from tyre. This does two things, flattens the tread, and allows greater area for adhesive to stick.
2. Deflate tyre to about half normal cycling pressure.
3. Apply double-sided carpet tape to the tyre.
4. Stick emery strip onto carpet tape, respecting direction of rotation when overlapping.
5. Reflate tyre to normal pressure.
It seems to work well, and the roller and grindstone system is unaffected.
I like the Solex analogy, but I think the inspiration was my grandad's treadle dental drill.
tony bryant
riptoff
Regular

Re: Bicycle grinder ?

Postby ToneWood » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:14 pm

Love the bicycle grinder - I like sharpening tools (OCD?!) & I like bikes, perhaps this is what I have been looking for :D
Anyone know what the "spring" was made from?

Bob_Fleet wrote:You could fill the tyre with fine sand then water to give it weight.
I think it also needs a bit of weight in the wheel resting on the tyre.

If you want to add mass to make it a better flywheel, perhaps you could somehow incorporate an old brake disc
(I used to have a couple of really thick heavy vented ones sitting around, from a Toyota MR2). A friend told me that the
Cambridge rowing teams used to add big lead weights to the bike wheels used in their homemade rowing machines, for
similar reasons.

We used have have a big old stone wheel sharpener, unused, in the garden - probably grandad's. I found the stone recently,
buried in the garden, chipped but possibly serviceable. The 1-piece iron axle and cranking handle has disappeared somewhere & the wooden frame
long ago rotted away (probably ended up on the fire). Seems like it could only work with 2 people: one cranking, one sharpening. A pedal
mechanism might perhaps allow this to become a working stone again (and I think I know where I can find a broken
old bike and pallet!). Stone might be too heavy though (about 18" x 5").

There are several videos on youtube of bike-powered sharpener being used in places like India & Africa:
e.g
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bx_PkNIfK4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxly222EE0U
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cjmAt96 ... re=related "Innovate or Die"!

Pity the forum doesn't support automatically embedded youtube videos (yet).
Last edited by ToneWood on Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ToneWood
Regular

Postby ToneWood » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:17 pm

I should 'fess up - I was lucky to pick-up a small, low speed, water-cooled, electric grinding wheel, inexpensively a few years ago.
American I think, probably designed for sharpening chisels. It has limited capabilities - just one small diameter but wide medium-fine stone + a spare somewhere
- but it helps and is a pleasure to use. I am surprised there aren't a lot more of these handy little devices around. A fraction of the price of those big pro machines & none of the
heating issues of a bench grinder.
ToneWood
Regular

Postby gavin » Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:03 pm

ToneWood wrote:I should 'fess up - I was lucky to pick-up a small, low speed, water-cooled, electric grinding wheel, inexpensively a few years ago.
American I think, probably designed for sharpening chisels. It has limited capabilities - just one small diameter but wide medium-fine stone + a spare somewhere
- but it helps and is a pleasure to use. I am surprised there aren't a lot more of these handy little devices around. A fraction of the price of those big pro machines & none of the
heating issues of a bench grinder.

Is that Tormek? I think them great.
Gavin Phillips

- teacher, demonstrator & supporter of greenwoodworking & human-powered turning
- Supplier of Fun & Confidence

info@shed-therapy.com
http://www.shed-therapy.com
gavin
Regular

Postby ToneWood » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:49 pm

No, unfortunately not. I am familiar with the Tormek product(s) - the ultimate blade sharpener, perhaps. I know a former cabinet maker that owns one (not nearby unfortunately).
The thing I have is much smaller, simpler and cheaper - I paid less than £20 for it, used, including shipping. I used it this afternoon, I think the company/product is called StoneyCraft.
And I was surprised to see the stone is rated as 250 grit - much coarser than I had thought. I'll probably change the
way I use it in light of that. It worked well for getting an edge on all the kitchen knives and I just used it for finishing up my axe (for which it is a bit small - but it did a nice job).

It also includes a cheap pull-off round stone & guide (I already had one of those, new off ebay) and a small, finer flat stone on top, presumably for finishing off.
There is also a strange metal angle guide but if seems all wrong, so I don't/can't use it - there is probably some trick to it, probably intended for chisels (if anybody knows,
please let me know). Actually I need to have a think about that guide - I suspect it needs to be unscrewed and moved to a different position, hmm.

BTW I also have a small, old round stone with plastic guide that fits onto an drill - it belonged to my father, although I saw a similar product demo'd at the CLO Game Fair
a few years ago (it seemed to work much better in the demo :D). Not expensive. It is quite handy for getting the initial edge onto large seriously blunt garden tools, axes, billhooks, even lawn mower blades - although I recently invested in a large mill b*stard file which will probably replace it in most instances. [Just purchased a second-cut file, to clean-up the grooves left by the rough-cut mill b@stard file.]
ToneWood
Regular

Postby ToneWood » Thu May 10, 2012 3:41 pm

On ebay (cheap) currently - treddle saw (in Nottingham, UK): http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hobbies-A1-tr ... 6518148893
ToneWood
Regular

Postby bulldawg_65 » Fri May 11, 2012 2:52 am

That wheel looks dangerous... Watch out for your knees!
Phil Steele
bulldawg_65
Regular

Postby ToneWood » Fri May 11, 2012 5:27 pm

It has a Heath Robinson charm - like a cross between a bow-saw & a sewing machine. Price has gone up, was only about £1.20 when I first saw it.
ToneWood
Regular

Re: Bicycle smoothys

Postby voodooalpaca » Thu May 31, 2012 10:41 am

slightly off at a tangent...

I made this earlier this year to knock up smoothys (it was made for the local transisition town who use it at fairs to promote sustainability etc)

Untitled.jpeg
Untitled.jpeg (17.03 KiB) Viewed 9874 times

Anyway it's a standard bike with a blender attached - I removed the electric guts and put a small wheel which rubs on the bike wheel. it's has massive gearing, so you only need to peddle like a granny to make a smoothy in moments! you could modify the design to cut or grind anything, as per some of the other examples in this thread. I would think for grinding you would want a far lower speed (increase the size of the second wheel), and as there is very little resistance I don't think a fly wheel would be required. The saw would need a more robust solution to cut anything more than a very thin item

The flaw in this design is that you can't see what you are doing (i.e. the blender is behind you). I Might knock up a Mk2 some time, with the blender in front, but that would require cutting the bike to bits.

Phill
voodooalpaca
Regular

Previous

Return to Experiments and Ideas AKA Heretic's Corner