workshop fire

vaguely woodworking

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

workshop fire

Postby steve tomlin » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:05 pm

Look away now if you're of a sensitive nature...

On Saturday I got a message on my phone to say there'd been a fire in the barn where I've been doing my work since I moved house. Thankfully noone was hurt but it started in the part where I store all my stuff. So yesterday I went over to have a look and, sure enough, the hayrakes I'd been working on, materials for a course I'm running and both my tool bags had been consumed in the flames. With a rake I fished out the remaining metalwork, some of it so changed in appearance by the loss of all wooden parts and the actions of fire and water that it was like a game of 'guess what?'.

It's an odd feeling for sure, all the tools gone literally overnight.

Image Image
steve tomlin
Regular

Re: workshop fire

Postby robin wood » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:28 pm

Steve that is devastating. I know it would be for me anyway. I have tools which are just tools and can be replaced but many become deeply personal and would be sorely missed. Apart from that just having to sort everything out when we all run businesses rather hand to mouth is a problem, no tools no income.

If there is anything we can do to help just shout. If you have courses and need to borrow tools in the short term I will help if I can. If you want to come play in the forge to re harden and temper any tools that have softend in the fire you would be welcome.

Seeing that GB carving axe head there is very sad but it can be fixed.
http://www.robin-wood.co.uk bowls, books and courses
robin wood
Regular

Postby RichardLaw » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:43 am

Steve,

You have my every sympathy, I've been there. If there's anything I can help with do ask.

Condolences,

Richard
RichardLaw
Regular

Postby paul atkin » Sat May 07, 2011 10:41 am

I am really sorry to read this Steve. I hope you are back in action soon
http://paulatkin.co.uk/

{the one with the pole of glee} morrigan 2008
paul atkin
Regular

Postby JonnyP » Sun May 08, 2011 7:57 pm

Awful.. Sorry to hear this Steve..
JonnyP
Regular

Postby steve tomlin » Mon May 09, 2011 3:23 pm

hi. thanks for all your kind words and to all the people who came over during the BB to sympathise. Special thanks to the Warwickshire local group who passed on to me some tools that had been donated to them, to Richard for posting me an axe and drawknives and Ben & Lois for the lovely hook knife. Mark Allery kindly lent me his tools and shelter during the weekend to work with.

I've decided I'm going to try to resurrect whatever I can, reharden and temper them if necessary, fit new handles and make the sheaths. It might all take a while and there are some pieces I will just have to replace but I'd like to keep going what I can and it will be a brilliant learning opportunity.

They often say that you find out the true nature of people at times of hardship and I think everyone's response is a brilliant reflection on the bodger's members, it feels good to be part of that.

thanks, steve
steve tomlin
Regular

Postby Mark Allery » Tue May 10, 2011 9:57 am

Hi Steve,

It was a great pleasure to have your company over the weekend and your scything was magic - your improvement in technique is just so marked, which of course says everything about the teacher:-)

Well done on deciding to rework the tools which will be a worthwhile project all of its own.

cheers

Mark
PS - I'm splitting out my rake head log this morning. What will I find? :-) I'll be building a stail straightening break onto one of the front beams of my rented cartshed - in the hope that I have a straight stail for the festival, thanks for the inspiration.
Polelathe Turner, Woodsman & Green Woodworker. Demonstrations and Coppice Products
http://woodlandantics.wordpress.com
woodland.antics@virgin.net
Mark Allery
Regular

Return to Any other business