Some pictures for Brian

vaguely woodworking

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

Some pictures for Brian

Postby nic » Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:08 pm

A few years back I met Brian Williamson at Westonbirt and have told him about some hazel stakes I used taking root. finally got some pictures: one was some 'thorn these two are keeping pace quite nicely. The other was a willow, I think taken from the gutter of my workshop, I don't think the hazel will prevale here. Needless to say the next year I went round planting sections of hazel, none took!

nic
Regular

Re: Some pictures for Brian

Postby Brian Williamson » Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:04 pm

Thanks for those photos, Nic.

The striking of cuttings from hazel is one of those topics dear to the heart of many coppice workers. If we could get it to take even half as readily as willow does it would make coppice restoration much simpler.

I have refined my theories on this over the years. When layering hazel, rooting seems to occur most readily from the base of new shoots as long as they are in contact with the ground. It also seems to be most successful ifpegged at a major branching fork - the end of the first years growth is ususally good for this.

A similar effect can be observed in the routine cutting of hazel coppice. If the stools are cut very low, they will shoot at ground level and new roots will be encouraged to form. This should be routine good practice.

So, next spring I shall try inserting some chunky forks into the ground, pushing them in until the fork is virtually buried. Hopefully, shoots will arise from the fork and the chunky nature of the cutting will help ensure that it stays alive until roots can form from the base of new shoots.

I'll let you know how it works. This summers attempt, two dozen cuttings taken in early July, have alreadsy rotted!

Nic, how big were the stakes that you put in and did the new shoot arise from ground level or higher up? The third photo seems to show a new shoot coming up from ground level.

Brian.
http://www.westcountrycoppice.co.uk

undergreenwood.wordpress.com

'Measure twice and cut once'
Brian Williamson
Regular

Re: Some pictures for Brian

Postby nic » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:26 am

Hi Brian,

The stakes were about 1" cut and 'planted' the same day in January. Had a look at the shoots- they came at or below ground level. A bit hard to be certain as there is a thick layer of dead grass. No roots in sight in around them though. I can take a picture again if you want? From memory the shoots only came up in the second or third year, not immediately.
nic
Regular

Return to Any other business