Craft doesn't count?

vaguely woodworking

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

Craft doesn't count?

Postby davestovell » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:12 pm

Link to news that Department for Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS) is looking to remove craft from the report on measuring the creative industries!

http://www.craftscouncil.org.uk/about-u ... ress-room/

Seems that if its difficult to measure, just pretend that it don't exist!
davestovell
Regular

Re: Craft doesn't count?

Postby robin wood » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:52 pm

There is more to this than meets the eye. http://traditionalcraftsblog.blogspot.c ... e-not.html
http://www.robin-wood.co.uk bowls, books and courses
robin wood
Regular

Postby davestovell » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:27 pm

So a vibrant and exciting sector that contributes to the economic,historical and cultural make up of these isles, enables people to execute skills and pass on knowledge, is not centred in any geographic location, is enjoyed by a wide range of ages and backgrounds, is admired by many, has a wide secondary economy (material supplies, tools, tuition, galleries, books, magazines, internet sales and transport) is merely shelved as some quaint hobbyists tinkering in the shed making pin money. who do they turn to when they want pomp and splendour, when they want ceremony and richness. Their ermine robes and chattels of office don't come from TK Max, their leather benches don't come from Ikea and their stationary doesn't come from Staples. There is no way would the FA cup come from the local key cutter, the shields of Wimbledon from the factory outlet. Craft is so ingrained into our national blood we can't see it! Sure there are economic battles and hardships but it's there and to sideline craft like this is naive.
davestovell
Regular

Postby simon » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:51 pm

davestovell wrote:So a vibrant and exciting sector that contributes to the economic,historical and cultural make up of these isles, enables people to execute skills and pass on knowledge, is not centred in any geographic location, is enjoyed by a wide range of ages and backgrounds, is admired by many, has a wide secondary economy (material supplies, tools, tuition, galleries, books, magazines, internet sales and transport) is merely shelved as some quaint hobbyists tinkering in the shed making pin money. who do they turn to when they want pomp and splendour, when they want ceremony and richness. Their ermine robes and chattels of office don't come from TK Max, their leather benches don't come from Ikea and their stationary doesn't come from Staples. There is no way would the FA cup come from the local key cutter, the shields of Wimbledon from the factory outlet. Craft is so ingrained into our national blood we can't see it! Sure there are economic battles and hardships but it's there and to sideline craft like this is naive.

GO Dave GO. I can hear vast crowds cheering you on. Best rant ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Make it, mend it, wear it out,
Make it do or do without.
FB Simon Lamb Green woodwork
simon
Regular

Postby robin wood » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:48 pm

We are clearly a very significant sector. The "Mapping Heritage Craft" document published last September gives all the detail in exactly the form government need it. £4.4 billion GVA contribution to the economy 209,000 people employed etc. The Heritage Crafts Association will be talking with DCMS about this, it is a consultation document and I am confident we will change it.
robin wood
Regular

Postby davestovell » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:52 pm

Robin Wood wrote:
The Heritage Crafts Association will be talking with DCMS about this, it is a consultation document and I am confident we will change it.

Good luck Robin.
davestovell
Regular

Postby Christophe » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:02 pm

Dave, thanks for bringing that up, even though it got me real cranky ;)
Robin, Hope you are right, good luck anyway.
Be Water
Christophe
Christophe
Regular

Postby robin wood » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:24 pm

I am less confident tonight than I was this morning. The definition of creativity in this context is "those industries which have their origin in individual creativity, skill and talent and which have a potential for wealth and job creation through the generation and exploitation of intellectual property"
We are still working on it though consultation is open to June 14th.
robin wood
Regular

Postby davestovell » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:25 am

You have my sympathy Robin, trying to make those clowns see sense and jump through the relevant hoops but:

those industries which have their origin in individual creativity, skill and talent

Craft

have a potential for wealth and job creation

Craft

through the generation and exploitation of intellectual property

A bit more tricky. I work more in the designer/maker sphere and the intellectual property issue is only of interest if I can afford the cash to fight for my intellectual rights. If I can't pay a patent lawyer does that mean I am not generating creative based wealth, no! it means that I am vulnerable but that is the world within which I work. Some people sell under license etc but many sell as small batch production or one off made or commissioned by themselves. I make tables and stools from newspaper and sell them in the UK and Europe, I have some limited intellectual rights but I do not count on them as a business asset as it would be totally uneconomic to defend them, does this mean that I am not creative?

It would be stupid to audit the transport system and exclude unlicensed private taxi cabs, they may not be desirable but they are moving people which for one reason or another are not using licensed services, this is not a judgment but an observation. Intellectual property is an insurance policy for those that can afford to fund their defence. I am pretty sure that if we wanted to account for all the vehicles using the road system and then only counted the vehicles that had valid insurance the figure would be different from the actual number of vehicles on the roads.
davestovell
Regular

Postby robin wood » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:47 am

The problem we have is HCA are fighting this fight in the evenings on voluntary time after the days work, I am teaching bowlcarving this week and playing catch up with this here and there. It highlights the problem of not having a centrally funded organisation that is responsible for and can fight the cause for the sector. Many think the crafts council should do that but their remit is for contemporary innovative craft only.
robin wood
Regular

Postby ToneWood » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:00 pm

From what I heard on Radio4 this morning, it sounds like the government want to hear how the arts contribute to society, directly & indirectly. The Scandinavian countries provide a good example: they have a diverse network of crafts & businesses that seem to complement and support each other and export widely. Countries with a strong craft traditions seem to prosper (Sweden, Norway, Finland, Japan, America, Germany, England, Italy,...).
ToneWood
Regular

Return to Any other business