Show us your bowls

All things bowl turning, hooks, lathes etc..

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

Re: Show us your bowls

Postby Ian G » Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:51 pm

I've been meaning to turn a bit of eucalyptus for a while now, with particular interest in a tree which lost a branch during a storm a year or two ago and gave us 4 days without electricity. During May of this year the offending tree was cut down and after looking through loads of previous posting on the forum I decided to turn a bowl. The posting warned of massive distortion to the bowl but after carving some nice spoon with it I was still tempted to give it a go. As you can see the forum never lies, the bowl has been drying for about 4-5 weeks. It was a joy to turn, I'm now interested to see how far the distortion will go. Also pictured a birch bowl turned green and a poplur dish. Based on information gathered from an experiment turning green bowls I know birch and poplur are among some woods that will not overly distort when turned green. As mentioned before on earlier posting I now turn the majority of my bowls green. Just finished a bird cherry bowl and sycamore one. About to put a bit of nothofagus on the lathe, I haven't turn a bit of this for ages. I love this wood, great for summer shows and it stays green for months. I've seen me cut some for shows/demos in May and I'm still using well into the summer. Enjoy the pictures.
Ian
Attachments
euc1.jpg
eucalyptus,birch and poplur bowls
euc1.jpg (35.82 KiB) Viewed 3208 times
euc2.jpg
eucalyptus
euc2.jpg (20.38 KiB) Viewed 3208 times
Ian G
Regular

Postby Ian G » Sat Mar 05, 2016 5:52 pm

Just a quick update on my previous posting and a verification that all the postings regarding turning eucalyptus as mentioned before are spot on. Check out the splitting on this bowl 10 weeks from turning. Also a pic of a fresh nothofagus bowl turned green about 4 weeks ago. No sign of any distortion. I've turned nothofagus before but the wood was mellowed. This bowl turned a treat green with a nice crisp finish. Enjoy.
Attachments
noth1.jpg
nothofagus
noth1.jpg (34.63 KiB) Viewed 3123 times
euc2.jpg
eucalyptus
euc2.jpg (41.19 KiB) Viewed 3123 times
euc1.jpg
eucalyptus
euc1.jpg (39.75 KiB) Viewed 3123 times
Ian G
Regular

Postby Sprot » Tue May 03, 2016 2:23 pm

My latest greation. Silver birch. about 23 cm in diameter.

Sprot

Postby SeanHellman » Tue May 10, 2016 7:50 pm

Very nice shape.
"Scarcely anything is original- it`s very hard to be totally inventive, so I am not terribly interested in originality. Vitality is all I care about" Clive James
Green wood courses, tools, demonstrations.
http://www.seanhellman.com/woodwork/
SeanHellman
Regular

Postby Craig.B » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:49 pm

125_1331 (640x480).jpg
125_1331 (640x480).jpg (200.97 KiB) Viewed 2663 times
Hey folks,
Haven't posted for a good while as I've been concentrating on my craft, but thought I'd share a pic of a recent cherry bowl spun on my bowl lathe.
Regards,
Craig
Craig.B

Postby Ian G » Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:56 pm

Hi Craig, nice colouration on your cherry bowl, I've turned a fair bit of cherry and know it distorts a bit but I've never seen a cherry bowl as wavy as yours. I wonder, maybe someone can let us know. Is the excessive distortion on your bowl due to your location, being warmer than Argyll and resulting in a slightly more open grain ?????. Some pictures attached of some of my cherry bowls.

Ian G
Attachments
cherrygl.JPG
wedding gift 8in bowl
cherrygl.JPG (62.48 KiB) Viewed 2620 times
bowl6.jpg
6in bowl
bowl6.jpg (54.14 KiB) Viewed 2620 times
7incherry1.JPG
7in bowl
7incherry1.JPG (82.07 KiB) Viewed 2620 times
5incherry1.jpg
5in bowl
5incherry1.jpg (66.3 KiB) Viewed 2620 times
Ian G
Regular

Postby Ian G » Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:11 pm

A few new cherry bowls, a 7in bowl and Quaich sitting in a nice 9in cherry bowl. The 7in bowl can been seen being made by me in a video by my son Ewan at this link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBRkoMZ8qvM The 2 spoons are made from well seasoned (10 month at least) goat willow, as easy to work as it would be green. The grain is amazing. The spoons were made using my new Hans Karisson carving knife, what a bit of kit...fantastic knife. Enjoy
Attachments
spoondec1.jpg
Goat willow spoons
spoondec1.jpg (41.86 KiB) Viewed 1786 times
bowlsdec1.jpg
Cherry bowls and goat willow spoons
bowlsdec1.jpg (33.98 KiB) Viewed 1786 times
Ian G
Regular

Postby Ian G » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:34 pm

Hi, not a lot of posting on the forum at the moment but if everyone is as busy as me with cutting grass, veg plot and cutting enough firewood for the winter its not surprising. Saying that I have managed to turn these after a good clear out of bits of wood. Beech platter, bird cherry bowl and a nice birch spoon..........enjoy

Ian G
Attachments
Maybowls.jpg
Maybowls.jpg (40.9 KiB) Viewed 638 times
Ian G
Regular

Postby blackhood1 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:21 pm

That looks great!
Disease.
blackhood1

Previous