Newbie here...attempting to post some pics...

All things bowl turning, hooks, lathes etc..

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

Newbie here...attempting to post some pics...

Postby Sharif Adams » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:51 pm

Hello folks and thanks for all your contributions which have been a great help to me. Using all the great info here I made a lathe and forged some hooks and have been having a go at making some bowls. The advice and ideas shared on this forum are such a great, valuable resource...'gold dust' really. A real source of inspiration and encourgement.

My lathe is a fairly ramshackle affair and I intend to make a nicer one at some point. I made it quickly when I had some time last autumn, using trees as supports. It works fine but it's not very pretty. My hook tools do the job, made from old car springs in a home made gas bottle forge/hoover combo and charcoal. They cut ok but i suspect the angle of the bevels could be better and I still haven't worked out how to sharpen them really well. The next ones will no doubt be better and in time I'll suss out how to get them really sharp.

But I'm happy with how it has all come together and I am well and truly bitten by the bug. I'm going to try and post some pictures..not sure if it'll work....

Some of my first bowls, made autumn/winter last year. A steep learning curve but great fun and a fascinating journey which would have been so much slower without this great forum.
Sharif Adams
Regular

Re: Newbie here...attempting to post some pics...

Postby Robin Fawcett » Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:07 am

Well done Sharif. Some really nice shapes there. Those spalted Birch bowls are killers... and they sell really quickly!
http://www.facebook.com/GreenWoodwork?ref=tn_tnmn[url=http://www.treewright.co.uk/]
Green woodwork courses, treen, demonstrations & talks http://www.treewright.co.uk[/url]
Robin Fawcett
Site Admin

Postby Donald Todd » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:18 am

Beautiful bowls: how big are they?
Donald Todd
Regular

Location: Kilspindie, Carse of Gowrie, Scotland (halfway between Perth and Dundee)

Postby Sharif Adams » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:54 am

Thankyou for the kind words folks. The bowls are all quite small. The biggest spalted birch bowls are like large cereal bowls, the cherry ones smaller. Hopefully soon I'll be able to make some bigger ones as I've met a friendly tree surgeon who says I can pop round and take bits off his wood pile.

Quite right about the spalted birch; I took some to a couple of local craft fairs in December and they sold like hot cakes. I wish I'd kept one for myself, but I'm sure there's more birch lying around in the woods...
Sharif Adams
Regular

Postby Donald Todd » Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:51 pm

The reason I asked is that I made some 4" to 5" last year (this), but I think bowls that small are more difficult than slightly bigger ones. I have very little experience of bowl turning and need to make a sturdier lathe and proper hooks.
Donald Todd
Regular

Location: Kilspindie, Carse of Gowrie, Scotland (halfway between Perth and Dundee)

Postby Sharif Adams » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:44 am

Hi Donald, your novel approach to dealing with a knot-hole made me smile. Please post some more pictures when you have made adjustments to your lathe and hooks and when you've made some more bowls, (although it seems to me that your tools must be up to the job to have made that bowl?).
Sharif Adams
Regular

Postby robin wood » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:27 am

Lovely bowls, the first one particularly is a lovely form apart form the jazzy wood.
http://www.robin-wood.co.uk bowls, books and courses
robin wood
Regular

Postby Sharif Adams » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:19 pm

Thanks Robin. I also like the shape of that bowl. If only I knew how I achieved it! But I s'pose that will come with time..
Sharif Adams
Regular

Return to Bowl turning