Show us your bowls

All things bowl turning, hooks, lathes etc..

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

Re: Show us your bowls

Postby ToneWood » Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:05 pm

Nick, those decorated spoons are amazing. Care to explain some of your techniques? Will you be selling/demonstrating anywhere this summer?
ToneWood
Regular

Postby Sharif Adams » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:16 am

Jarrod; that blue bowl really is a beauty! I've been looking in to getting some earth pigments but they are pretty pricey here as far as I can tell. Anyone know of any suppliers in the UK that won't break the bank? Anyone experimented with things likke turmeric or beetroot with any interesting results?

Nick; very nice post..lovely work and great photo of the fox with your lathe. Great selection of bowls. The decoration on your spoons is stunning. I hope you'll be at spoonfest?
Sharif Adams
Regular

Postby grinagog » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:56 pm

Sharif Adams wrote:Nick; very nice post..lovely work and great photo of the fox with your lathe. Great selection of bowls. The decoration on your spoons is stunning. I hope you'll be at spoonfest?

Hi Sharif, and thanks..
yes I am going to spoonfest, now that I am bitten by the bug! :D

nick
strive to survive causing least suffering possible
grinagog
Regular

Postby Sharif Adams » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:45 pm

Good news!
Sharif Adams
Regular

Postby grinagog » Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:04 am

ToneWood wrote:Nick, those decorated spoons are amazing. Care to explain some of your techniques? Will you be selling/demonstrating anywhere this summer?

Hi Tonewood and thanks!

I would like to demonstrate anywhere I can but have trouble getting about due to lack of money for fuel! This doesnt bother me much though as money is not that important to me and I sometimes have an audience to demonstrate to just outside my boat on the canal where I live! And this is where I sell the odd bowl or spoon to put fuel in my boat as I have to move every two weeks!(whithout a mooring!)
As for spoons, my techniques are all I have learned from visiting this site from time to time, and also a little persistance and patience, and spotting good wood! :) The carved spoons are my first go's at both styles known as Kolrosing and chip carving!

all the best
nick
grinagog
Regular

Postby ToneWood » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:19 am

I wondered if you might be demo'ing at the Steam Rally at Rainscombe Park, Oare (9th/10th June). Not far from Honey Street/Pewsey Wharf, where a lot of long boats moor. Or Wilton Windmill, which usually has a small country fair/fete around June-ish, not far from Crofton Pumping station. It's small but last time I went the weather was good & it was packed, the parking field filled up so that cars where having to park down both sides of the road - people walked in from nearby village too (it's not always that busy though).
ToneWood
Regular

Postby grinagog » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:24 am

ToneWood wrote:I wondered if you might be demo'ing at the Steam Rally at Rainscombe Park, Oare (9th/10th June). Not far from Honey Street/Pewsey Wharf, where a lot of long boats moor. Or Wilton Windmill, which usually has a small country fair/fete around June-ish, not far from Crofton Pumping station. It's small but last time I went the weather was good & it was packed, the parking field filled up so that cars where having to park down both sides of the road - people walked in from nearby village too (it's not always that busy though).

Hi again,

(quick reply as I get to use comp at work...but will be without after this morn for another week!)

I didnt have time this weekend to do Steam rally, but I did do open day at crofton this year and should be doing there again in September! Nice and local and close to canal.
I moor between Honey street and Bedwyn for ease to access work three days a week!
Where are you in wessex then?

nick
grinagog
Regular

Postby jarrod stonedahl » Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:41 pm

nice work grinagog!
jarrod stonedahl
Regular

Postby grinagog » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:26 am

jarrod stonedahl wrote:nice work grinagog!

Thanks Jarrod! :)
grinagog
Regular

Postby ToneWood » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:45 pm

Nic keep us posted on Crofton/Sept. Might try to get over there. Rainscombe was cancelled this year due to all the rain - I've been meaning to attend for years but have not managed it yet, thought I'd finally make it this year but it was not to be. The house, grounds/setting are supposed to be worth seeing (and usually out of sight of the public). Somebody suggestedHighclere Castle's Game Fair to me - people sell bowls there - apparently it's not a huge affair (like the famous, vast CLA game fairs). It's an annual event and already happened this year. I've not been there but it's between Newbury & Andover. It's where they shoot the Downton Abbey TV series.
ToneWood
Regular

Postby kikodenzer » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:04 pm

my boys like going the local renaissance faire, but I get a bit bored, so this year I thought I'd carve up a bunch of spoons and get a booth (they're pretty reasonable). That way, I could sit and carve while the boys run around, and maybe break even, or even make a few bucks! Then a friend sent me a link to one of Ben Orford's videos. I found more of Robin Wood. Then I turned a carving class I was giving into a lathe-making class so I could have a lathe. Now, thanks to Ben and Robin and the folks who joined me in the making of the lathe, I've been trying to turn at least 3 bowls a day for the past couple of weeks. I think I'm starting to get the hang of it, tho I have a lot more learning (and tool-making to do). In any case, I'll be able to turn a bowl at the faire this weekend! Thanks to you all. And to my nine-year old, who keeps me company by turning out wooden swords on the shaving horse when I'm on the lathe (most of the play swords at the faire are pretty lame, so he thought it would be good to provide good, stout, one-piece weapons for serious pages and squires. We're calling our gig "weapons for peas and play.")
Attachments
inventory1.jpg
inventory1.jpg (77.41 KiB) Viewed 11516 times
kikodenzer
Regular

Postby grinagog » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:26 am

kikodenzer
thats a nice looking setup! And bowls etc!
I too have knocked out the odd sword or two for my onlooking young warrior friend! (I shall try and get a photo!) :)
Next on the list is a good shield!

regards
nick
grinagog
Regular

Postby ToneWood » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:07 pm

Somebody pointed this out to me (this Sunday afternoon):
[BTW I recommend their wholemeal flour, mixed 50:50 with regular flour & cooked in a breadmaker (not ours) - best tasting/textured bread I've tasted.]
Last edited by ToneWood on Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ToneWood
Regular

Postby ToneWood » Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:27 pm

Dropped by the above event. It was free, it was heaving (they've added an extra field of parking), it was v. pleasant but it could really have done with some more attractions, in particular it really could have done with more crafts people demonstrating with products to sell - e.g. a green-wood worker/carver/turner, leather worker, potter, weaver - there was just one blacksmith, a bee-keeper and a company that restored shepherds huts into offices, etc (quite neat). Was hoping Nick might have been there with some bowls & spoons - I reckon he could have sold quite a few.
Last edited by ToneWood on Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ToneWood
Regular

Postby ToneWood » Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:40 pm

Reading magazines in a waiting room this week, I came across a magazine about the canal. Some guy had written an article about his walk along the canal and it featured a picture and writing about some bloke called "Nic" working on a foot powered lathe.
ToneWood
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Bowl turning