Show us your bowls

All things bowl turning, hooks, lathes etc..

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

Re: Show us your bowls

Postby grinagog » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:19 pm

ToneWood wrote:Reading magazines in a waiting room this week, I came across a magazine about the canal. Some guy had written an article about his walk along the canal and it featured a picture and writing about some bloke called "Nic" working on a foot powered lathe.

hahaa, was that the magazine called "the Butty"?
They said they may do an article about me..
All very quiet for me after turning at the crofton event! I have no wood to turn bowls, if I have its for the fire...I have a hole 6 ins wide in my engine block and I just spent my last cash on a second hand one and its got problems..I hate buying and selling, you just cant trust anyone these days! Im not going anywhere..with no electric too! At least I can cut a branch and carve a spoon to calm my mind! Phew... :)
strive to survive causing least suffering possible
grinagog
Regular

Postby ToneWood » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:40 pm

:DYes, Butty that was it. I didn't hear about the Crofton event, I might have dropped by if I had. Lost your power just as the nights are drawing in and the weather is getting colder, that sucks :( - this is when our Bosch-Worcester furnace usually breaks down (water & heating :(). Thank heaven for wood-burners. Hope you managed to moor up near a good pub. Got any kerosine/paraffin lamps?
ToneWood
Regular

Postby grinagog » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:24 am

ToneWood wrote:: Thank heaven for wood-burners. Hope you managed to moor up near a good pub. Got any kerosine/paraffin lamps?

I agree, a good woodburner is essential. And when them freezing cold dark winter nights and days come, being happy in nature is even more essential! Oh and a few candles safely burning! :)
strive to survive causing least suffering possible
grinagog
Regular

Postby Ian G » Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:56 pm

Thought I would show anyone who is interested the bowls I turned during a very productive festive season 2014....nothing much on TV and I had to burn some calories off. The single cherry bowl is 8in across and is a wedding gift. The collection of bowls are turned from ash, alder, birch and some amazing bird cherry. Enjoy
Attachments
mixedb4.JPG
mixed woods
mixedb4.JPG (66.76 KiB) Viewed 9948 times
scott1.JPG
cherry bowl
scott1.JPG (67.86 KiB) Viewed 9948 times
Last edited by Ian G on Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ian G
Regular

Postby SeanHellman » Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:52 pm

Lovely bowls Ian. I assume that they are still green, we would love to see another picture when they are dry, I have seen cherry distort a lot as they dry.
"Scarcely anything is original- it`s very hard to be totally inventive, so I am not terribly interested in originality. Vitality is all I care about" Clive James
Green wood courses, tools, demonstrations.
http://www.seanhellman.com/woodwork/
SeanHellman
Regular

Postby Ian G » Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:36 pm

SeanHellman wrote:Lovely bowls Ian. I assume that they are still green, we would love to see another picture when they are dry, I have seen cherry distort a lot as they dry.

Hi Sean, your right cherry does distort, the cherry bowl in the photo is from a big log that was almost 18months old, it was fairly hard going on the pole lathe but worth it, I sanded it only because it was for a wedding gift. I've only had a little distortion on previous cherry bowls and it tends to give them a bit of character. The other bowls were a bit of an experiment with very green timber that was only 2-3 weeks old. Normally I leave any wood I use for a few months to get better colouration, I find the likes of alder, nothofagus and cherry colour up well if left for as long as possible (I've turned some beautiful alder over the year, I think it's a brilliant wood for turning). I turned the collection of bowls in the second photo as thin as I dare, hopefully this will help..... so far they are ok.
Ian G
Regular

Postby Ian G » Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:10 pm

As promised here are the green bowls I turned during the Christmas holidays now dried and sealed (all apart from the beech and poplar bowls). As mention like many bodger's I usually let my bowl wood dry out a bit before turning. But due to tons of wood being available after some stormy weather before Christmas I didn't want to wait. What's been interesting is how well some woods have turned green, with very little or no furring of the end grain. The finish on the beech bowl was amazing, very clean and I'm just waiting to see how it dries out. The oak bowl(my first) turned brilliantly with a very clean finish but distorted to a very extreme oval as you can see, a bit too groovie for me (not too good for my tools, which were well cleaned after). The bird cherry bowls distorted as I expected but still look ok, again the finish wasn't too bad but would of benefited from a bit more mellowing before turning. The birch and alder didn't distort much more than I would get from wood that had been mellowed normally. The ash did distort more than normal but nothing too extreme. The poplar bowl turned well but was a bit furry on the end grain, not as much as all the books say but I'm leaving it on the mandrel so I can re-turn it. I have tons and tons of poplar to potentially turn, so I can turn a poplar bowl each month for the next year.

All in all a very interesting experiment and I will continue to dry out my bowl turning wood but will now turn a percentage of my bowls green. The large Gean bowl which had been mellowing for 18months still distorted a bit but looks really nice, still a have a few bits of this to turn.
Attachments
oak2.jpg
very groovie oak bowl
oak2.jpg (46.31 KiB) Viewed 9795 times
oak1.jpg
Oak oval
oak1.jpg (51.36 KiB) Viewed 9795 times
GBBP.jpg
Beech and Poplar Bowls
GBBP.jpg (51.5 KiB) Viewed 9795 times
gbbi1.jpg
Birch Bowls
gbbi1.jpg (36.02 KiB) Viewed 9795 times
gbal1.jpg
Alder bowls
gbal1.jpg (41.73 KiB) Viewed 9795 times
gbcl1.jpg
Bird Cherry Bowls
gbcl1.jpg (41.91 KiB) Viewed 9795 times
gbas1.jpg
Ash Bowls
gbas1.jpg (44.82 KiB) Viewed 9795 times
gbch1a.jpg
Gean Bowl
gbch1a.jpg (52.25 KiB) Viewed 9795 times
Last edited by Ian G on Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ian G
Regular

Postby Steve Martin » Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:38 am

Good information and nice job. Bowls really look good to me! Love them all!
Steve Martin
Regular

Postby Ian G » Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:10 pm

Well my odyssey of turning bowls from very green wood continues. The pictures show a western balsam poplar bowl, I sanded and burnished this one as the grain looked so good. The beech bowl is straight from the lathe, the finish is brilliant. I did try and turn a bowl from Poplar x canadicans 'Aurora' but it was like turning wet cardboard, I will try again later as I fancy turning some big plates.

I was very surprised that the poplar didn't distort that much. Would I be right in thinking that willow would be the same and doesn't distort when green, never turned green willow as I've always assumed it would.
Attachments
bepo2.jpg
beech & poplar bowls
bepo2.jpg (43.62 KiB) Viewed 9684 times
poplar1.jpg
poplar bowl
poplar1.jpg (65.06 KiB) Viewed 9684 times
bepo1.jpg
beech & poplar bowls
bepo1.jpg (58.94 KiB) Viewed 9684 times
beech1.jpg
beech bowl
beech1.jpg (59.68 KiB) Viewed 9684 times
Ian G
Regular

Postby Tlil » Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:52 pm

Side 02 small.jpg
Side 02 small.jpg (29.36 KiB) Viewed 9300 times
Side 01 small.jpg
Side 01 small.jpg (23.52 KiB) Viewed 9300 times
First bowl I have managed to turn,
Monkey puzzle, finished with Walnut oil
Tlil
Regular

Postby Ian G » Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:23 pm

Hi Tlil, what a nice shaped bowl, your very adventurous turning a conifer for your first bowl. I've only seen power turners turning monkey puzzle. Saying that I have been tempted to see how some of the really slowing growing thuja or junipers might turn on the pole lathe. Your finish looks slightly ridged, with practice you'll get a finer finish, it still look good though....I really like the shape. I think my next bowl will be inspired by your shape. I have sycamore, cherry or eucalyptus to try it out on. Happy future turning, post pics of your future bowls.

Ian G
Ian G
Regular

Postby woodness sake » Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:35 am

White oak bowls made from the other end of the log they are sitting on. I split the blanks out radially so the one side of the bowls is to the center of the log and the other is to the sap wood, sort of like using quarter sawn lumber. This keeps them from curling up as they dry.
BOWLS2.jpg
BOWLS2.jpg (85.26 KiB) Viewed 3607 times

bowls and tools_1.jpg
bowls and tools_1.jpg (149.53 KiB) Viewed 3607 times
Last edited by woodness sake on Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
woodness sake
Regular

Postby gavin » Sat Oct 31, 2015 8:30 pm

These look very smooth. Did you turn them with hook tool?
Gavin Phillips

- teacher, demonstrator & supporter of greenwoodworking & human-powered turning
- Supplier of Fun & Confidence

info@shed-therapy.com
http://www.shed-therapy.com
gavin
Regular

Postby Ian G » Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:00 pm

Just took delivery of some new hooks from Dave Budd. He was making copies of some of my oldest hooks that were getting a bit thin. The pictures shows the best one, a heavier copy of an old C.I.Fall hook I bought from a friend when I started bowl turning over 12 years ago. This is an awesome tool, external bevel. Its great for the outside of the bowl removing wood really fast but comes into its own on the inside. the finish it leaves is amazing. On the 5 month seasoned willow bowl it was like cutting butter. Even with the 12 month'ish seasoned cherry it preformed really well. Fair chuffed with it. About to try it out on some fresh cherry and a bit of an Acer.

Enjoy
Attachments
willow4.jpg
cherry and willow bowls
willow4.jpg (52.79 KiB) Viewed 8363 times
willow3.jpg
willow with hook
willow3.jpg (56.76 KiB) Viewed 8363 times
willow2.jpg
willow with hook
willow2.jpg (47.39 KiB) Viewed 8363 times
willow1.jpg
willow with hook
willow1.jpg (47.8 KiB) Viewed 8363 times
Ian G
Regular

Postby woodness sake » Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:29 pm

All made from the other section of the log on which they are sitting.
woodness sake
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Bowl turning