indoor set up for bowl pole lathe

All things bowl turning, hooks, lathes etc..

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

indoor set up for bowl pole lathe

Postby jarrod stonedahl » Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:35 pm

has anyone got any good ideas for setting up a pole for turning on a bowl lathe indoors....i don't like the bungee's action compared to the pole...not as "snappy" any help/ideas would be appreciated. this would be for a demo in a very large room....would need to be portable...maybe some really heavy log on the floor to attach end of pole to? don't want to try to reinvent the wheel if any folks here have tried this.
jarrod stonedahl
Regular

Re: indoor set up for bowl pole lathe

Postby robin wood » Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:54 pm

jarrod stonedahl wrote:has anyone got any good ideas for setting up a pole for turning on a bowl lathe indoors....i don't like the bungee's action compared to the pole...not as "snappy" any help/ideas would be appreciated. this would be for a demo in a very large room....would need to be portable...maybe some really heavy log on the floor to attach end of pole to? don't want to try to reinvent the wheel if any folks here have tried this.

Bungee can be every bit as nice to use as a pole you just need a good long length of proper powerful shock cord, maybe 10m or more. Fix some good strong uprights that won't bend to your lathe , wrap the cord round 3 or 4 times or better still 5 or 6. Then attach your strap to the bundle of cords. Adjust pre-tension in cords until you get the spring you like.
http://www.robin-wood.co.uk bowls, books and courses
robin wood
Regular

Postby jarrod stonedahl » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:53 pm

thanks robin, i'll try a few more wraps and see if i can get the snap i want. but for a demo nothing beats a real pole....any other ideas anyone?
jarrod stonedahl
Regular

Postby robin wood » Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:09 pm

jarrod stonedahl wrote:thanks robin, i'll try a few more wraps and see if i can get the snap i want. but for a demo nothing beats a real pole....any other ideas anyone?

Have you seen the room? I have set poles up inside particularly in old buildings where there is a sturdy cast iron radiator or handrail by the stairs or something to lash the end of the pole to. If there is a lashing point for the end say 2-3 foot off the ground then the pivot point is easy.
robin wood
Regular

Postby jarrod stonedahl » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:36 am

this is going to be in a large convention/civic/gymnasium center...but maybe it has bleacher seats that fold up against the wall...i might be able to attach to that...i'll have to find out, but i'm really planning on having nothing available, so perhaps a large heavy tree trunk hewed flat and the end of the pole attached to that? the fulcrum i can figure that one out...i've seen diagrams of some sort of verticle post tennoned into a timber base with braces and the pole mortised into the post horizontaly up high above the lathe...but the down side to something like this is it's alot of weight and alot more stuff to bring along...back to the idea though...anyone tried something like this....how much weight is needed to hold the end of the pole down? this might be more of a pain than what it's worth, i always have the bungee. i'll run some experiments...but was just asking cause if someone's tried this it'll save a lot of time...
jarrod stonedahl
Regular

Postby robin wood » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:08 am

I have thought long and hard about it and decided the upthrust on a bowl turning pole would need something near the weight of an anvil to hold it down, hence why I use bungee. The pivot is very easy, a 4 foot board on the floor with 2 nails coming up into the base of two poles which cross over to form an A frame lashed with rope at the cross point. Knock the board off at end of day the A folds up like scissors and you have 2 pieces flatpacked.

One option I considered but never tried was a large Y shaped forked tree lying flat on the ground with fork toward lathe. Tenon on an upright at the base to attach pole to or if you have a very long pole just attach it to base of tree then attach your A frame pivot point at top of Y. This set up in theory works by leverage rather than sheer weight, but I never built it.
robin wood
Regular

Postby jarrod stonedahl » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:58 pm

thanks again robin...yeah i'm not sure i want to lug some heavy set up like that around and have it sit around til the next time i might set up indoors....the bungee set up is looking more simple...and i already have that set up...i got til november to decide...we'll see. i'm going to play around with it a bit and see though...maybe something for later in the summer..
jarrod stonedahl
Regular

Postby Darrell » Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:51 am

I built a Bodger's Muddle a few years back. Works great indoors. I've demonstrated at a local school, they had me set up in sort of an atrium area near the door. Nothing to attach a pole to, and outside was no good (February in Canada, the ground is frozen solid). Not sure you could use it for a bowl lathe or not. I have turned small bowls with the Muddle, but nothing really large.

Darrell
who spent the weekend at a Scout Camp; making rope, carving spoons, and forging nails. Tiring but loads of fun.
Wood Hoarder, Blade Sharpener, and Occasional Tool User
Darrell
Regular

Return to Bowl turning