Britian's Heritage Heroes

All things bowl turning, hooks, lathes etc..

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

Britian's Heritage Heroes

Postby chainsawkid » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:04 pm

I know it's just finished but you may be able to catch it on i-player (BBC2) featuring Robin Wood!

I missed the start of the feature so i'll be catching up too.

Well done Robin, again, for getting the craft into the "lime light"!

All the best

james :mrgreen:
James Pumfrey
http://jamesthebowl.blogspot.co.uk/ Turning tales in Sussex
chainsawkid
Regular

Re: Britian's Heritage Heroes

Postby monkeeboy » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:41 am

I have been watching this series.
It's a bit weird.

Reminds of "Bellamy's People".

But anything to keep disappearing heritage in peoples minds is a good thing...
monkeeboy
Regular

Postby robin wood » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:10 pm

Just caught up with this was away from TV and computers last week. We fed them a lot of stories and suggested people to visit including Portland Works in that program and I know they filmed Gail MCGarva with her boat building for another. You can never have any control over final outputs but we keep trying, currently talking to 2 other potential BBC craft programs lots of work doing their research for them and chances are little benefit at the end of the day but I reckon any craft on TV is a good thing, who knows who is watching and being inspired.
http://www.robin-wood.co.uk bowls, books and courses
robin wood
Regular

Postby Terence » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:27 pm

I got a car spring from a local garage here in north west London a while back and on Friday on my way to work popped back into the garage to show the mechanic the hook tools I had made with the spring. Coincidentally he had seen heritage heroes the night before (which I hadn't) and he was extremely enthusiastic. Having seen the tools in use and Robin talking about the turning he understood exactly what was different about this type of turning and why I had forged the tools - those few minutes on TV were stuck in his mind. Its a very powerful medium, there must be many people across the country who saw it and it opened their eyes to something they had never considered, how bowls were turned before steam or electricity! Thats what Robins youtube video did for me and got me into turning bowls.
Terence
Regular

Postby jez » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:35 pm

I hated the presenters so much I couldn't get past the intro, and I was featured!
It's so formulaic. The blokes are superficially blokey and women flounce around aka Julia Bradbury, but unfortunately it only works for Ms Bradbury. Bring back John Peel, or Andy Kershaw, or someone with genuine talent rather than the prats they trot out. Ben Fogle? but he's probably got too much integrity to do something he's not interested in/and knows it wouldn't do the Fogle brand any good, so we get 3rd raters for a minority interest programme.
jez
Regular

Return to Bowl turning