bowl lathe drive straps - the definitive answer!!

All things bowl turning, hooks, lathes etc..

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

bowl lathe drive straps - the definitive answer!!

Postby gavin » Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:51 pm

After a year of experimentation, my strong recommendation is to approach Chiorino on +44 1977 691 880 or http://www.chiorino.co.uk

Ask for their product 'LL1' which is 3.2 mm thick leather, laminated either side of a nylon core. It lasts for ever (well mine has lasted a year with no sign of wear!) , and grips a 40 mm diameter mandrel beautifully. Small diameters of 40 mm or so demand so much flex that normal leather ( and even veg tanned leather) will soon snap.

All you need is 2 meters of the 10 mm wide LL1 £2.94 / meter +VAT + carriage. I rivet a 50 mm loop in either end, and fix an 'S' hook in that, or pass your pole through the 50 mm loop. For under £10, you'll have a strap that will see you through all the bowls you - or your grandchildren -are likely to make. When you first use it, the edges will fray a little as they rub on each other, but that will round off soon enough.

I have tried IRC (or Impregnated Rubber Canvas) drive straps, but that material frays and wears out. Chiorino can supply that if you want.

For spindle turning you may ask Chiorino if they will cut it to say 3 mm wide for you, or you can try to cut it yourself. ( I have not found it easy to get a constant-width cut in the laminated leather, but you can do it if you fix the leather very firmly e.g. in a vice.)
Last edited by gavin on Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:52 am, edited 4 times in total.
gavin
Regular

Postby paul atkin » Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:43 pm

nice one gavin, sounds spot on, will give it a try
paul atkin
Regular

Postby robin wood » Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:44 am

Sounds good Gavin, wonder how George Lailey ever managed for 60 years without "the definitive answer". I am getting on quite happily just now with recycled conveyor belt straps, the same as used by Romanian turner Ion Constantin. For 10 years I was happy with the webbing & rubber type strap, I am surprised you say they wear out I used to get several months out of one which means several hundred bowls...enough for most folk I would think.

I agree veg tan leather is not good but its not as strong or flexible as chrome tan.
robin wood
Regular

Postby gavin » Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:42 am

If you do have access to recycled conveyor belting and can conveniently cut that into a parallel-sided strip of constant width ( say 12 mm) , that has to be worth a go! Since Robin reports he'll get several hundred bowls from the conveyor-belting rubber-canvas before wearing out, that obviously will see most of us through quite a few seasons!

Having tried both the rubber and laminated leather drive-straps, my personal preference is definitely the laminated leather described in my post above. I wanted to recommend it because if you are building a bowl lathe, you will definitely have a no-fuss, sweetly-working result with laminated leather from Chiorino.

Presuming I have my lathe at the next Bodgers' Ball, come and try the freel of the laminated leather strap for yourself.

Chiorino also do sell rubber belting ( they call it IRC or Impregnated Rubber Canvas) in varying widths. I got reasonable results from their thinnest rubber-canvas at half-inch wide. I think that was 5-ply ( and it may have been 3-ply). I did also try next thicker ply, but that was just too thick to easily wrap round the mandrel. And if anyone wants my now-discarded thicker drive-strap, send me a padded A4 envelope with £2.50 of stamps, and you can have it with my compliments!)

When I write 'reasonable results' I mean I have yet to wear a rubber drive-strap through, but they do fray where the edges meet on the mandrel. The frayed dangling threads also tangle - though you can burn those off.

And if anyone is aware of a supplier of recycled conveyor belting, do please advise for those who'd like to try the approach outlined by Robin above.
gavin
Regular

I have now given away my rubber drive strap

Postby gavin » Tue May 13, 2008 9:20 am

At the Horton-cum-Studley 2008 AGM, I gave Lancelot the rubber strap mentioned in the above posting. So the rubber is no longer looking for a home ( unless Lancelot now decides to get Chiorino's strap and then pass on the rubber strap to someone else!)
Gavin Phillips

- teacher, demonstrator & supporter of greenwoodworking & human-powered turning
- Supplier of Fun & Confidence

info@shed-therapy.com
http://www.shed-therapy.com
gavin
Regular

Postby paul atkin » Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:34 pm

new strap is very good, thanks for the info gavin :D no stretching makes a pleasant change.
paul atkin
Regular

Re: bowl lathe drive straps - the definitive answer!!

Postby robin wood » Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:00 pm

Just to update my experiences on recycled conveyor belt, I am now about 1 year down on my first belt and it shows no sign of wearing out, that is far longer than anything else I have ever tried. If enough people wanted drive straps I could pick a bunch up and fetch them to the AGM.
http://www.robin-wood.co.uk bowls, books and courses
robin wood
Regular

Postby dervishcarving » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:08 am

unfortunatley Chiorino have gotten more expensive. more like 15 quid (including vat + postage) for 2m or 1cm belt. Still probably worth it tho, just need to remember to order soem
dervishcarving
Regular

Postby robin wood » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:03 pm

and to update my conveyor belt strap wore out late last year, I thought it had done a couple of years but seeing this thread it looks like it was nearer 4.
http://www.robin-wood.co.uk bowls, books and courses
robin wood
Regular

Postby grinagog » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:13 am

I use the old fan belt from my merc sprinter van, split down the middle I also have a spare!
seems to work fine.
:)
strive to survive causing least suffering possible
grinagog
Regular

Postby GingerChris » Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:49 pm

Hi All, a further update on these LL1 straps from Chiorino.

Having read the comments here, being dissatisfied with string and not knowing where else to get hold of a suitable strap I approached Chiorino. The 2000x10mm straps are now £8.40 each (ex VAT) but they have a minimum order of 3 pieces and a minimum over value of over £15 so I had to set up an account and find others who were interested. Postage is £15 too...

They seemed to be cheaper than another drive belt supplier who was suggested in another forum. I may be able to convince one of the green wood tool suppliers to stock them but if not, club together to place your orders. Apart from all the fuss I brought to the transaction, Chiorino were good and so far the transaction has been trouble free.

I'm writing this before they are delivered so can't offer an opinion on their use yet but since I found the thread so useful I thought I would update it for any other aspiring bowl turners to benefit from. Thanks for sharing!

With best, Chris
GingerChris

Postby Nigel M Little » Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:18 pm

Hi there! I'm just setting up my bowl turning lathe and all l need now is a drive strap. Does anybody have an update on what to go for and where to get it? I'd quite like to go with the Chiorino strap but don't want to pay £50 for three lengths and postage, l also don't have bits of old fan belts etc knocking about. Ideally I'd like a website where I can get something at a reasonable price. Any help appreciated.
Cheers
Nigel
Nigel M Little

Postby gavin » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:24 pm

Nigel M Little wrote:Hi there! I'm just setting up my bowl turning lathe and all l need now is a drive strap. Does anybody have an update on what to go for and where to get it? I'd quite like to go with the Chiorino strap but don't want to pay £50 for three lengths and postage, l also don't have bits of old fan belts etc knocking about. Ideally I'd like a website where I can get something at a reasonable price. Any help appreciated.
Cheers
Nigel

Contact James Pumfrey - he may be able to help.Refer Bodger Membership List - or Google "James Pumfrey bowls"
Gavin Phillips

- teacher, demonstrator & supporter of greenwoodworking & human-powered turning
- Supplier of Fun & Confidence

info@shed-therapy.com
http://www.shed-therapy.com
gavin
Regular

Return to Bowl turning