Bowl repair

All things bowl turning, hooks, lathes etc..

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

Bowl repair

Postby Kevin Downing » Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:34 pm

I turned two beech bowls last weekend. One has two cracks on the rim close together. The photo was taken when they were just finished and the cracks developed during the week. I had them in a shed away from direct sunlight but a little air passing. I believe the tree was dead standing, eventually was blown down last winter or was knocked down and I turned the wood in September. Not fully sure as the owner knocked other trees when he stared clearing the blown down tree.

Is there any way to repair the crack? I was wondering about superglue. I put a dab on a waste piece of the same beech and I can see the stain after it dried. If I use glue and clamp it down and hope this does the trick, then I still think the glue will be very noticeable as it is on the rim. The cracks are not wide so I would need something as thin as a surgical needle to inject the glue without it smearing the rim. I cannot get a close up photo of the rim till next weekend. Any suggestions? It is a birthday gift. Should I just turn another one and axe more off from the edge?

The second smaller bowl is from the opposite half of the log. I turned this on the same afternoon. It had a visible crack which I axed away before turning the maximum I could get. This seems fine so far.
Attachments
beech_bowls7.jpg
beech_bowls7.jpg (145.63 KiB) Viewed 6866 times
Kevin Downing
Regular

Re: Bowl repair

Postby robin wood » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:05 pm

supaglue is the best bet but it will always be a second for use at home rather than sale or gift. It seeps into the wood around the crack and when you oil it that area won't absorb oil leaving it looking paler. Superglue is not a long term fix after a few months hard use chances are the crack will open again. If it's just dry use as a fruit bowl it would be fine. I would suggest this wood is past it's best and if I had a special gift to make I would be looking for fresher wood.
http://www.robin-wood.co.uk bowls, books and courses
robin wood
Regular

Postby ToneWood » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:41 pm

I spoke to a wood turner at the weekend who was demoing at a local community gallery. Unprompted he suggest mixing wood dust with superglue or epoxy (mix well before adding hardener) to fix cracks. I'm sure Robin is right in what he says though. I've tried mixing saw dust with wood glue and it simply did not cut the mustard and I ended up cutting the damaged section entirely out and reducing the size of the bowl significantly - it seemed like the only proper course of action open to me (had it been worse, the firewood pile would have been the next option).
Last edited by ToneWood on Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ToneWood
Regular

Postby nic » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:33 am

If the cracks are small I would try oilling the bowl then wrapping it in newspaper, the cracks may close up. If they do you can hope that they will stay shut as it dries slowly. Or, you could put some superglue into the shut crack. It will run in and as you have already oilled it it may not show. Still wouldn't use it for anything wet though.
nic
Regular

Postby Kevin Downing » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:23 am

Thanks for the advice, I think I'll look for fresher wood.
Kevin Downing
Regular

Postby Tor » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:39 pm

(drinking bowl used as a sewing basket from Halland, South west sweden)

I put togheter a small digital collection of repaired bowls from Scandinavian museums. Most of the items are probably repaired by the museums themselves, but there are also some quite wonderful exampels of home made metal and sewn repairs. Feel free to ask if you have any trouble with the languages!

http://www.digitaltmuseum.se/folder/379

http://www.digitaltmuseum.no/folder/1676
Tor

Postby ToneWood » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:00 pm

Old china sometimes used to be "riveted"/"stapled" with long wire staples to repair it (in the UK). Such items sometimes show up on the TV show Antiques Road Show. Such repairs tend to be very old, modern techniques, especially glues have long ago replaced them. Apparently a repairer would cycle around villages with a fine drill and some wire to make such repairs. I've seen such a piece prominently displayed in the front window of a local cottage - the owner could afford undamaged pieces but obviously enjoys the piece and the repair does add a certain "authentic" charm, it reinforces the idea that the piece is old and worth preserving.
ToneWood
Regular

Return to Bowl turning