forging hook tools

All things bowl turning, hooks, lathes etc..

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

forging hook tools

Postby robin wood » Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:58 pm

last weekend I went on a bladesmithing course with Owen Bush to try to improve the quality of my hook tools. I learned quite a bit and had a good time as well as playing with lots of big powerful tools.

Nicola did some video for yourube here http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=YDTsSEeW_5M

and another longer one here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Q3CzpozR9A
robin wood
Regular

Postby robin wood » Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:31 pm

120 views, Gavin has booked on the course and not one comment? Come on guys there are clearly a lot of folk out there just looking at this forum but saying nothing, makes it hard work for the few folk making posts...you will get a lot more out of it if you sign up and start chatting and asking questions.
robin wood
Regular

Postby Terry in Ottawa » Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:07 pm

Looks fascinating. We'll be doing some bowl turning at our July 5 pole lathe day near Ottawa. Darrell will be bringing some of his hook tools I'm sure.

But I've also found a local blacksmith who is willing to give instruction. His primary interest is in making cannons for American Civil War re-enactors, but I'll bet he'd be willing and able to help us make hook tools.

When you make the hook tool, I assume you make the bevel (on the anvil?) prior to making the hook? No use for a grinder in this process?

Terry in Ottawa
Terry in Ottawa
Regular

Postby robin wood » Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:14 pm

I tend to grind the bevel rather than forge it, they are pretty thin its more like knife making than anything else then pop it back in the forge and curl the hook.
robin wood
Regular

Postby robin wood » Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:16 pm

Owen now has a website here http://www.owenbush.co.uk/
robin wood
Regular

Postby Mark Allery » Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:43 pm

Hi Robin,

I've found that if the end is normalised sufficiently (soft enough) its quite easy to file the bevel rather than grind it - I find it easier to control filing the bevel, but I guess it doesn't make a lot of difference, and I have been starting with quite small tools (for goblets mainly - and I will make a goblet without breaking it before tooooo long :-) ). Then heat to red/orange hot and just use a pair of pliers to curl the hook around, heat and quench and then temper with a blow-torch and quench in tepid water.

I am only just starting on this - but many thanks to Mike Gordon for holding a hook forging masterclass before xmas - complete with forge powered by his own charcoal fines and an old electrolux hoover the wrong way around to provide the air - it works, classic stuff! The charcoal was a lot cleaner than the normal coke, so less crap stuck in the end of the hook,

cheers

Mark
Mark Allery
Regular

Postby paul atkin » Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:30 pm

Imagemy first attempt at forging a hook tool, no prior knowledge, i got the chance to spend an afternoon with a 76yr old blacksmith, had a great time,learnt loads, and came away with a tool that works very well, and holds its edge well. i would recommend anyone who is interested in bowl turning to have a go if you get the chance, they really are not that hard to make.
paul atkin
Regular

Return to Bowl turning