First bowl

All things bowl turning, hooks, lathes etc..

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

First bowl

Postby lee33 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:17 pm

Hi All,

I thought I'd share a photo of my first attempt at turning a bowl on a pole lathe. I've had a go at bowl turning on an electric lathe before but I found this to be very different, a lot more enjoyable in fact!

bowl.jpg
bowl.jpg (72.35 KiB) Viewed 3848 times

It's made from silver birch, which felt quite nice to turn with one of Ben Orford's hook tools. I found that you really do have to pay attention to what you're doing with these hooks. They're nice to use but very aggressive, I guess that's the nature of a hook.

bowl 2.jpg
bowl 2.jpg (39.98 KiB) Viewed 3848 times

I found the thinning down of the core to be the hardest part, any tips or demonstrations at the next BB greatly appreciated!

Thanks to the local Sussex APTGW group for letting me have a go on your bowl lathe at the Weald Wood Fair. It really inspired me to try completing the bowl making process all the way through once I returned home, I'm glad I did!
lee33

Re: First bowl

Postby SeanHellman » Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:27 pm

Looks like a very nice bowl. How big is it? I found the same making the core into a cone shape was really difficult at first.
"Scarcely anything is original- it`s very hard to be totally inventive, so I am not terribly interested in originality. Vitality is all I care about" Clive James
Green wood courses, tools, demonstrations.
http://www.seanhellman.com/woodwork/
SeanHellman
Regular

Re: First bowl

Postby lee33 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:51 pm

Thanks, it's about 6 1/2 inches in diameter. I was speaking to my friend this evening about turning the very last part of the bowl, he has been turning bowls for a while and suggested trying a crooked hook tool like the one that Ben Orford sells. Have you started making any hook tools yet Sean?
lee33

Return to Bowl turning