Hazel for bowls

All things bowl turning, hooks, lathes etc..

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

Hazel for bowls

Postby davestovell » Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:06 pm

Has anyone turned any bowls from hazel, if so how was it and do you have any tips or experiences you would be willing to share? I know they would be fairly small in diameter but I am interested in how they turned and how they finished. I aim to try some after Christmas but was wanting to get some feelers out.
davestovell
Regular

Re: Hazel for bowls

Postby Davie Crockett » Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:02 am

I know Sean Hellman has. I posted a question about a hazel that had gone to a standard size (25' high, 14" diameter bole)some time ago. He says it is possible and it smells lovely when you're turning it. I still haven't been able to get my hands on that tree!! I'll try to find a link to that post.
AKA Dave Munday
Davie Crockett
Regular

Postby Davie Crockett » Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:07 am

Here's a link to the older thread....http://www.bodgers.org.uk/BB/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2697 not much help on technique etc but it's a start.
AKA Dave Munday
Davie Crockett
Regular

Postby davestovell » Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:08 am

Thanks for that Davie, I love carving it for spoons, I use an abrasive (that is made for use on aircraft windscreens) on the round handles. It is used under or with lots of water and the handles feel like they are made of bone. It seems such an obvious choice for small bowls but not tried it, but will when I get some larger wood.
davestovell
Regular

Postby anobium » Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:57 pm

I have made several spoons from hazel and find it easy to work and finishes smooth.
The snag is that it is attacked by woodworm. Any ideas as to how to prevent this?
anobium
Regular

Postby Davie Crockett » Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:10 am

20 seconds in a microwave will kill any woodworm larvae already in the wood or freeze it for 2 weeks before you use it, I nuke the blank before carving. Store your spoons in a box with dried artemisia leaves to prevent reinfestations... http://entheology.com/plants/wormwood-artemisia-absinthium/. Easy to grow and perennial you can get seeds here in the uk: https://www.victoriananursery.co.uk/Wormwood_Seed/ It should be freely available in France as it was used to flavour Absinthe.
AKA Dave Munday
Davie Crockett
Regular

Postby SeanHellman » Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:19 pm

Dave, go for it. It is lovely to turn and I prefer it mellowed a bit beforehand, but no problem to turn fresh. It has lovely medullary rays in it. Problem is getting big usable stuff, it so often has flutes and twists in.
"Scarcely anything is original- it`s very hard to be totally inventive, so I am not terribly interested in originality. Vitality is all I care about" Clive James
Green wood courses, tools, demonstrations.
http://www.seanhellman.com/woodwork/
SeanHellman
Regular

Postby davestovell » Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:29 pm

Thanks all, think I'm going to try and source some and give it a go. Will post photos when done. Happy Christmas, Holiday, Winter solstice to all.
davestovell
Regular

Return to Bowl turning