First HookTool

All things bowl turning, hooks, lathes etc..

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

First HookTool

Postby PETER WOOD » Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:25 pm

Hello. I made my first hook tool last week and have now turned a couple of bowls with it. The tool works well but is not holding an edge, I will need to retemper it and while I have the forge fired up I will make some more tools of diferent sizes. Here is a photo of one of the bowls.

Image[/img]
PETER WOOD
Regular

Postby paul atkin » Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:27 am

lovely looking bowl there Peter, i am no expert in blacksmithing but when you retemper the tool, wait for the colours to run and when you get a straw shade at the tip quench.
paul atkin
Regular

Re: First HookTool

Postby robin wood » Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:35 am

PETER WOOD wrote:Hello. I made my first hook tool last week and have now turned a couple of bowls with it. The tool works well but is not holding an edge, I will need to retemper it and while I have the forge fired up I will make some more tools of diferent sizes. Here is a photo of one of the bowls.

Image[/img]

Great looking bowl, well done and great that you are making your own tools too. Personally if you have a tool that is working that well why not keep it as it is and make another to experiment with hardening and tempering. Its not the end of the world to have a tool that works but is on the soft side, just means you have to sharpen more often. My very first tools I used to sharpen with a chain saw file, they did not hold an edge for long but it was very quick and easy to touch them up. Its worse to get a tool that is too hard and snaps when you have a dig in.
http://www.robin-wood.co.uk bowls, books and courses
robin wood
Regular

combination blade

Postby Tomio Imaru » Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:36 am

I think, there would be a chance to introduce a combinationed blade.
Steel is brittle and easy to broken, and iron is easy to exhaused. But combinationed blade is stand long it's cutting edge sharp and absorb the shock.
It is not so easy but also not so difficult to get them together in a one blade.
(But I don't have that kind of combinationed blade. I have a plan to make this combinationed blade this Autumn.) Image
This axe's blade is hard steel and is sandwiched with soft iron.
Tomio Imaru
Regular

Re: combination blade

Postby robin wood » Sat Jun 14, 2008 3:01 pm

Tomio Imaru wrote:I think, there would be a chance to introduce a combinationed blade.
Steel is brittle and easy to broken, and iron is easy to exhaused. But combinationed blade is stand long it's cutting edge sharp and absorb the shock.
It is not so easy but also not so difficult to get them together in a one blade.
(But I don't have that kind of combinationed blade. I have a plan to make this combinationed blade this Autumn.) Image
This axe's blade is hard steel and is sandwiched with soft iron.

That's a nice looking axe Tomio. I also have considered trying a laminated steel plus iron blade but so far all my hooks have been just steel. It is possible to make them hard at the edge and soft at the back by when you do the tempering adding heat from the back (thick part of the hook). The perfect hook would be tempered like a spring at the back (colour blue) and like a chisel at the edge (Colour straw or bronze) though because the heat tends to go easily to the thin part it is difficult to achieve this.
robin wood
Regular

Postby Tomio Imaru » Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:45 am

Robin, thank you for the advice. Anyway I would try a laminated blade this autumn whether if it would go well or not.

Peter, sorry for the deviation from the hook tool. The first wooden bowl you turned looks good. what sort of wood is the bowl? Ash or some thing of sap wood?

When I made first hooked tool, I did not have good ides, where can I get blade material. And then I saw a crowbar in my little workshop, I decided to start a hooked tool of this crowbar.
[img]http://greenwood.tea-nifty.com/photos/uncategorized/2008/02/13/2008_picture_of_the_first_wooden__2.jpg
But now the crowbar hook was changed to a curved blade without hook. Because the blade was snapped, and then the crowbar is still very useful for another jobs.
[/img]http://greenwood.tea-nifty.com/photos/uncategorized/2008/02/13/2008_picture_of_the_first_wooden__4.jpg
This bowl is the third one that I turned from japanese oak like wood.
Thank you.
Tomio Imaru
Regular

hook tool

Postby PETER WOOD » Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:29 am

Thanks Robin & Tomio

It makes good sence not to mess with my working hook tool at least till I have made some more. The laminated tools sound great but a little advanced for me at the moment, I have some coil springs which I intend to use for my next tools. The bowl in the picture is made from Sycamore, I find it quite nice to turn but looks a bit bland. I have some Cherry wood and have just come across some nice bits of Alder so that is what I will be using next.

Peter.
PETER WOOD
Regular

Postby robin wood » Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:11 am

I would suggest use the alder, forget the cherry for now. Cherry is in my experience far more likely to split than any other wood in a green turned bowl, which is a shame since it looks nice and turns well.
robin wood
Regular

Postby Andy Coates » Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:23 pm

robinwood wrote:Cherry is in my experience far more likely to split than any other wood in a green turned bowl,

except the wood of the devil himself...holly!
Andy Coates
Regular

Return to Bowl turning