"Tree-stump" lathe - will it work?

All things bowl turning, hooks, lathes etc..

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

"Tree-stump" lathe - will it work?

Postby gavin » Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:00 pm

I have knocked out the legs of the Norwegian Cruising lathe ( which is now cruising round the woodshed on its end!) to create more floor space in the garage.
I have an idea the "Tree-stump" lathe may work - but am also concerned it may lack sufficient inertia and wobble in use, esp since I have a concrete floor - unlike Geo Lailey who buried his vertical posts in the ground ( and I think Robin Wood does so too? ).
update 24 April 2009: I LIKE this lathe as it takes up very little floor space. By touching it against one wall or two walls in a corner, you cut down the wobble a lot.

Anyway , I'll report on developments when some more threaded bar is delivered this week. Meantime, you'll see the general construction from the pix below:
- I suggest you measure this stump-lug 5 mm shorter than your lathe beds' height.

- you'll see I have cut the stump-lug shorter in the image above, so your tools can lie flat across the bed.

I may have to anchor the stumps to the wall if they vibrate. I know Geo Lailey and Robin use dove-tail joints to unite the vertical post or 'stump' to the horizontal lathe bed. I'd rather avoid that level of level of joinery just for the moment, but it may be necessary!
Last edited by gavin on Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gavin Phillips

- teacher, demonstrator & supporter of greenwoodworking & human-powered turning
- Supplier of Fun & Confidence

info@shed-therapy.com
http://www.shed-therapy.com
gavin
Regular

Re: "Tree-stump" lathe - will it work?

Postby Nicola Wood » Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:08 pm

Robin's lathe isn't dug in - his workshop has a solid floor although it's usually several feet deep in shavings so you can't see it. He just dug it out last week and was very pleased to find a lost Gransfors axe and his spare van keys!!
Nicola Wood
Regular

Postby RangerKris » Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:21 am

Gavin you have given me an idea to fix the posts of a lath in our field, in the next few weeks we will be making 2 lathes (At the local wood yard)for our volunteer group to come along and use when ever they wish, im sure i will have to give them what little knowledge i have of bodging so far :mrgreen: we will be running a day for them in Jan at some point.
RangerKris
Regular

Postby gavin » Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:55 am

RangerKris wrote:Gavin you have given me an idea to fix the posts of a lath in our field, in the next few weeks we will be making 2 lathes (At the local wood yard)for our volunteer group to come along and use when ever they wish, im sure i will have to give them what little knowledge i have of bodging so far we will be running a day for them in Jan at some point.

I suggest you bury the base of the posts for greater stability. Your posts can be then of smaller cross-sectional size than those shown here. No matter how you anchor them, if your posts are stable enough, you could then have a long lathe-bed with say double :mrgreen: or treble :mrgreen: :mrgreen: poppet heads.

:!: I look forward to entries in "World's Longest Pole Lathe" competition - actually it is really "The lathe with the most poppet heads allowing the most people to work on it at once" competition, but that's a bit wordy . I'll award a prize of 4 bowl-turning hooks to the winner, delivered at my expense world-wide. (It need not be a bowl lathe either.) All you have to do is post a picture here of the lathe in use and the more people we see turning something on it, the better your chances!

Entries by noon on 7 May 2009 on this site, or in person at the Bodgers Ball in Doncaster May 2009.
Gavin Phillips

- teacher, demonstrator & supporter of greenwoodworking & human-powered turning
- Supplier of Fun & Confidence

info@shed-therapy.com
http://www.shed-therapy.com
gavin
Regular

Postby Nicola Wood » Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:14 am

I seem to remember Nick and Katie Abbott having a very lovely two person lathe for when they are out demonstrating. I wonder if you need to match your treadling so the vibrations from one person don't upset the other? Maybe it's not so important when spindle turning as it maybe doesn't shake the lathe as much as roughing out a bowl!
Nicola Wood
Regular

Postby robin wood » Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:59 am

I don't have a picture but several years ago there was an article in the gazette from a guy at a county park type property over on the Welsh borders I think that had a "pole lathe fence" Basically a fence set up with twin rail at the top which took poppets and they could set up as many lathes as they wanted quickly. I seem to remember a picture with 4 or 5 poppets/lathes set up side by side and room for more.
http://www.robin-wood.co.uk bowls, books and courses
robin wood
Regular

Return to Bowl turning