Robin Wood's guide to using bowl turning hooks

All things bowl turning, hooks, lathes etc..

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

Re: Robin Wood's guide to using bowl turning hooks

Postby Nicola Wood » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:07 pm

Glad they're useful. I'll see what I can come up with, but it won't be very soon as I'm madly busy at the moment.
Nicola Wood
Regular

Re: Robin Wood's guide to using bowl turning hooks

Postby jrccaim » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:36 am

Made a pole lathe. Not a real bowl lathe (next year!) but might do for small bowls. So I made a hook tool, and have spent some time sharpening it. Made a mandrel. Cut a small piece of birch. I was going to cut it on the bandsaw, but the whole makeshift motor support on the saw went west. I did not feel like remounting the motor properly. So with saw and hatchet I sort of roughed out a bowl. Started in with the hook tool. To my never-ending amazement it cuts! It doesen't scrape, it's shaving! I have reread the instructions for the fifth time and will read them again tomorrow. But I may yet have a bowl.

Some points to add: For a beginner, the closer to round your blank is, the easier it will be. Roughing it to circular is by far the hardest part of the thing; this is also true for spindle turning. Square corners catch the tool. I think I need to sharpen Capt. Hook some more, but I have a round bottom part on the bowl. The instructions in this post are invaluable. Many thanks.
jrccaim
Regular

Previous

Return to Bowl turning