Chair Rockers

For all those other associated crafts.

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

Re: Chair Rockers

Postby emjay » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:34 pm

Donald, did you ever fit that chair onto rockers? I'm in the process of steam bending a pair of rockers on the same jig as used for the backs of Mikes tweenie chair. I'm using 45mm square section ash, hoping there will be enough wood on them to even up any uneven springback. I'm thinking of cutting shoulders on the bottom of the legs to fit a long mortice in the rockers going through and wedging from underneath. Didn't want to get too tied up with radii etc, the curve on the jig looked about right so I've gone with it.
All the best Mick
emjay
Regular

Postby emjay » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:39 pm

Just taken them off the bending jig. Both perfectly even, but they are from adjacent pieces of the same log. Out of interest I scribed a 43 inch rad arc on the floor to check against. They match this for about 33 degrees of arc and then flatten out.
Mick
emjay
Regular

Postby emjay » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:51 pm

I'll soon be starting my fourth rocker (one for each daughter) I think we can ignore centre of gravity except to say it's much lower than the centre of the arc of the rockers and it varies greatly depending on how you sit in the chair. These latest rockers are only 26 inches long and give a good easy rock with no chance of falling backwards. They started off much longer and I gradually reduced the length bit by bit until they seemed right.
Mick
Attachments
DSCN4871 (Small).JPG
DSCN4871 (Small).JPG (44.88 KiB) Viewed 3355 times
emjay
Regular

Previous

Return to Greenwood crafts