Pictures of some chairs I made in 2004

For all those other associated crafts.

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

Re: Pictures of some chairs I made in 2004

Postby Donald Todd » Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:01 pm

matthew wrote:The seating material is reed. It is reasonable priced and really seems to hold up good.

I thought, being in the USA, that it would be Oak or Ash splint, or Hickory bast; these are hard to come by in the UK. You can get flat reed in the UK here 10mm or 20mm wide.

Richard, I tried your suggestion on a test piece, but it fills up the side twice as fast as the front, so moving the bridge too far back (on my seats). It might be OK on a deep seated chair.
Donald Todd
Regular

Location: Kilspindie, Carse of Gowrie, Scotland (halfway between Perth and Dundee)

Postby matthew » Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:59 pm

Donald Todd wrote:I thought, being in the USA, that it would be Oak or Ash splint, or Hickory bast; these are hard to come by in the UK. You can get flat reed in the UK here 10mm or 20mm wide.

you are right Donald i prefer to use hickory bark but some people like this and it is quite a bit cheaper.
matthew
Regular

chair seating materials/ techniques

Postby steve tomlin » Sun May 09, 2010 5:59 pm

hi, i'm looking into good materials for seating ladderback chairs and found this thread. your chairs look great Matthew. what actually is the flat reed made of? does it need to be soaked before use or anything & how do you finish off the ends or join sections together?
steve tomlin
Regular

Postby Emyr Parry » Sun May 09, 2010 9:56 pm

Hello Mathew
I only saw your chairs today on this thread. They look great!
Nice to see some more chairs posted up.
I had a quick look at your blog, but I will enjoy taking a closer look in the next day or two.

Thanks
Emyr
Emyr Parry
Regular

Postby Donald Todd » Tue May 11, 2010 7:44 pm

Flat Reed is actually Rattan Palm; as used for what is termed Cane seating. The palm is cut in various sections and sizes, some from the core, some from the outer part.

Yes, it does need to be soaked to soften it. Refer to a book on cane seating for this.
Donald Todd
Regular

Location: Kilspindie, Carse of Gowrie, Scotland (halfway between Perth and Dundee)

Previous

Return to Greenwood crafts