Things to make and do...

For all those other associated crafts.

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

Things to make and do...

Postby warrenee » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:51 pm

Hi All,

Has anyone ever compiled here anything in the way of a comprehensive list of any and all green woodwork projects? In other words, I'd be interested in seeing a list of everything everyone has ever produced, if such a thing is possible!

I admit that's a rather open question, but my reason for asking is that as a beginner progress is slow - I can spend all my weekend learning to perfect a few spindles on the polelathe, with little to show for the effort (despite all practice being beneficial, of course. And very proud I am of my spindles thus far, too...). Not to mention the fact that rain can very much stop play, especially this time of year, and so it would be great to have some inspiration for other off-lathe 'side projects' to keep me busy in between waiting to get back on the lathe. Also, alternative lathe projects beyond chair legs and baby rattles etc...

Obviously I'm talking projects beyond the obvious spoon carvings and all the other ideas one can find in Mike Abbot's & Ray Tabor's books, etc.

Would love to hear of some of the other more unusual projects, however big or small.

Thanks,

Warren
warrenee
Regular

Re: Things to make and do...

Postby Robin Fawcett » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:10 pm

Have you seen my spinning top vid ?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dLBCUxbYZ0
http://www.facebook.com/GreenWoodwork?ref=tn_tnmn[url=http://www.treewright.co.uk/]
Green woodwork courses, treen, demonstrations & talks http://www.treewright.co.uk[/url]
Robin Fawcett
Site Admin

Postby forestdesigns » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:07 pm

Hey... I think I´ve finally managed to post a photo!

This is my bed. I bought the wood at a sawmill using the rejected pieces after a log is squared off. Quality material (oak, chestnut & poplar) is cheap & green.
Make whatever you may need or want... a stool, small table, what-ever! Using basic motise & tenon (if that´s the correct english phrase) you can make anything, & it´s always good to practice these skills.

Ooops... it´s much bigger here in my room, really! :oops:
Attachments
fotos Danny 039.JPG
fotos Danny 039.JPG (17.88 KiB) Viewed 4645 times
Danny Ellis
forestdesigns
forestdesigns
Regular

Postby jrccaim » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:33 am

Making a comprehensive list of GW projects is a bit like counting grains of sand on a beach. You run out of patience long before you have counted them all. But for what it's worth, I'll start a list.

First come the things you need to make other things. Tools, in other words. Make a shaving horse. See the shaving horse thread elsewhere. Make wooden wedges to split logs. Make a turning saw to cut stuff out with, using an old bandsaw blade. Make a bucksaw to cut your winter wood. If you are very ambitious make your own plane (a la James Krenov). Find some old knives, sharpen, make handles for them. Make cart and wheelbarrow to haul the wood you found in the forest. Make a rounder plane and a hole plate to make your own dowels. Find a big stump to use as a chopping block. Make a sawhorse, to cut your winter wood to size. Get a froe and learn to rive wood; it will require that you make a brake for it. Make axe handle for that old axe head you found at the car boot sale.

Puff, puff. I'm getting tired already...

The butcher, the baker, the candlestick maker... well, two out of the three. For the baker, make a dough bowl, out of a log. Lots of examples in this board.
The candlestick maker: turn a few candlesticks on your pole lathe. Not too sure what we can do for the butcher... ah, yes, make an elegant chopping block, and a cutting board (from the log) for the chopper in you (or in your life).

All this food requires utensils. There are spoons, forks, sporks, plates, bowls (look at some of Robin and Nicloa Wood's beauties); salt shakers to be turned on the lathe. Peppermills require the steel guts to be purchased, unless you have a machine shop.

Then we have furniture. Stools, chairs of all kinds -- Britain has many of them. Look at Mike Abbot's book. Or see Drew Langsner. Or both. A Picnic table suggests itself. A bed. A sofa. An Adirondack chair. Rustic stuff.

Gotta clean house. A broom of birch twigs might be a good idea. How about a rustic dustpan?

Garden anyone? A hay fork, useful for other things. A rake. I lived for three or four years with a self-made greenwood lawn rake.

And now I'm work out. My problem is that I have more projects than I have time to do! Seriously, I'd find a copy of Drew Langsner's Country Woodcraft (1978), Rodale Press, Emmaus PA (USA). There are so many things to do that you will be busy for years. The book is out of print, still available secondhand at reasonable prices. (Reasonable two years ago. Haven't looked recently.)

Have at it!
jrccaim
Regular

Postby forestdesigns » Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:25 pm

jrccaim wrote: Make a turning saw to cut stuff out with, using an old bandsaw blade. Make a bucksaw to cut your winter wood... Make a rounder plane and a hole plate to make your own dowels.

OOooo... I like the sound of those. Although I must admit that I´m not too sure what the main differance is between a turning saw & a bucksaw. Correct me if I´m wrong but I believe it ´s in the teeth. Should a turning saw have a narrow blade to cut corners like a jig saw? Or perhaps I´m mistaking it´s purpose, with a bandsaw blade perhaps it´s for cutting along the grain? If that´s correct then a bucksaw is for cutting across the grain.?.?. :? To be honest I´ve been thinking of making these & was not sure about the blades, can you help me out on there different uses.

Rounder plane... ok got it, but a hole plate... isn´t that a chunk of metal witha hole in it, or have I missed the point once again.

Thanks for the help, I´ll definetly be making those before (or after) too long.
Danny Ellis
forestdesigns
forestdesigns
Regular

Return to Greenwood crafts