Home made elder flutes perplex!

For all those other associated crafts.

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

Re: Home made elder flutes perplex!

Postby Stanleythecat » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:00 pm

Donald Todd wrote:I did some research too. The size of the hole adjacent to the sharp edge is important. It should have resonant frequency close to a harmonic of the pipe. A shorter pipe will have a higher resonant frequency and a closed end will not produce the the full harmonic series. Confused?

The length of the pipe and size of the hole adjacent to the sharp edge have to be adjusted to get the sound.
The airway should be a slit and direct the air symmetrically at the sharp edge. The aim is not to direct all the air down the pipe, but to have the edge cut the air stream. The edge should have a very narrow angle. Over or under blowing will affect the occurrence of the sound and the harmonic produced. The shape of the end will affect the pitch slightly.

This was from "The Physics of Music" in the chapter on ORGAN PIPES.

I have to say it has been a great learning experience and not being at all musical perhaps slightly futile! But when someone who could play picked up my last attempt and played it really well (despite being out of tune!) it has spurred me on to make one that is in tune and perhaps try to learn how to play.

The fipple is sorted now it is just the tuning that poses the real problem. I have a lovely whistle that can easily produce three octaves but I haven't any information on how to tune it correctly, hole size and spacing etc and if I plough on I might ruin the the best one I've made yet! :cry:

Donald or Robin have you the answers!?!

Leo
Stanleythecat
Regular

Postby Donald Todd » Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:52 pm

I don't think there's a simple answer to the hole spacing/size. You need to try asking someone who plays or makes Recorders such as The Early Music Shop.
Google "recorder making" for some insight such as this: fine tuning by enlarging the holes. Another gives dimensions rather than proportions or a formula.
Donald Todd
Regular

Location: Kilspindie, Carse of Gowrie, Scotland (halfway between Perth and Dundee)

Postby FGYT » Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:49 pm

i keep seeing this thread and wondering why you would do a Flute out of Perspex :shock: :roll: guess i need another eye test

ATB

Duncan
FGYT
Regular

Postby SeanHellman » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:32 am

FGYT wrote:i keep seeing this thread and wondering why you would do a Flute out of Perspex :shock: :roll: guess i need another eye test

ATB

Duncan

Maybe it is a secret desire to work with plastics :lol: If so I am sure there must be a forum somewhere for plastics
"Scarcely anything is original- it`s very hard to be totally inventive, so I am not terribly interested in originality. Vitality is all I care about" Clive James
Green wood courses, tools, demonstrations.
http://www.seanhellman.com/woodwork/
SeanHellman
Regular

Previous

Return to Greenwood crafts