This week I have mainly been making.....

For all those other associated crafts.

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

This week I have mainly been making.....

Postby Whittler Kev » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:05 pm

Today I cut my thumb :cry: .

I was sharpening a blade to make some curly, flowery type wood

and pointy sticks as I had made myself a drawknife

as I was too impatient to wait for one to be delivered, and I wanted to try this

Shave horse I made on Friday.

Now SWMBO has put a plaster or three on for me and I am happy again as everything I have made this week works OK :mrgreen: :wink:
( Note to self: Old Dry Oak is so very hard to get nice, tight, curly shavings off, when trying to make flowers)
Happy as a .........
Whittler Kev
Regular

Re: This week I have mainly been making.....

Postby SeanHellman » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:15 am

They are certainly getting bigger. Whats this moaning about cutting a finger, where are the pools of blood? :lol:

Joking aside, what did you use for the blade of the drawknife? and are they old chainsaw file handles on each end?

Wood selection is important, with dry wood, as in sticks, it should not be too many years old, as as you said it can be brittle. If the wood is really dry it can become to brittle, and difficult to work, and sticks that size take forever to regain some moisture even if soaked. Why not do a test and go out and cut some hazel and willow sticks, say about 12 and use half a stick every week for 2 months to make a flower and then say half a stick every month and see how different the wood is to use
"Scarcely anything is original- it`s very hard to be totally inventive, so I am not terribly interested in originality. Vitality is all I care about" Clive James
Green wood courses, tools, demonstrations.
http://www.seanhellman.com/woodwork/
SeanHellman
Regular

Postby Whittler Kev » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:28 am

Wise words as always Sean.
I bleed like a stuck pig! :shock: The drawknife slipped and the end of my thumb had a cut 1/2" straight down. At least the nail stopped it going further. :D
The steel was some 3mm 01 I had left over from making Bush Blades. I made another childs one but didn't temper it enough after hardening and snapped it (I have been playing with different temperatures as I usually temper the blades in the kitchen fan oven and was trying for straw instead of the pale blue that 200 degs C gives)
Happy as a .........
Whittler Kev
Regular

Postby SeanHellman » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:37 pm

Good to hear you can get a good edge on your tools :mrgreen: Sounds like a nasty one
"Scarcely anything is original- it`s very hard to be totally inventive, so I am not terribly interested in originality. Vitality is all I care about" Clive James
Green wood courses, tools, demonstrations.
http://www.seanhellman.com/woodwork/
SeanHellman
Regular

Return to Greenwood crafts