Crate making

For all those other associated crafts.

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

Re: Crate making

Postby Simon Hartley » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:46 pm

Avery impressive crate, monkeeboy. Add two wheels and it would make a decent cycle trailer.
Simon Hartley
Regular

Postby arth » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:56 pm

They have one of these crates at MERL

arth
Regular

Postby monkeeboy » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:52 am

Nice one Arth.

So that's two surviving pottery crates, one at MERL and the one I posted earlier that is in New York.

The MERL one looks like one of the later "models"; you can see the saw marks where the heads have been squared-up on a circular saw.
I think they started doing this post WWII and by the 60's all the crates were probably made like that.
monkeeboy
Regular

Postby Alan » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:28 pm

Hi all,

For those still interested in the art of crate making, I am happy to tell you that not only have I located a missing VHS video from some 30 years ago but also the crate maker from the film. I have supplied him with a copy of your comments and he is over the moon that people are still interested and that some of you are trying to make one.

The film was originally made on 16mm film and Prof. Ray Johnson and I are trying to locate it together with the notes from interview and also still photographs. If successful the film should be of much better quality and possibly include parts that are not on the video.

The tape is 18 minutes long but goes through the whole process of making a crate. It has now been transferred to DVD and will be shown at the Stoke-on-Trent Film Theatre, hopefully on Wednesday, 11th December, 2013 together with another old film of a wheelwright making a wheel at Shrugborough Hall.

Alan
Alan
Regular

Postby monkeeboy » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:44 pm

This is amazing news!

Would it be possible get a copy of this DVD somehow?
monkeeboy
Regular

Postby Alan » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:47 am

Hi Monkeeboy,

We are in the early stages of getting it all together at the moment. Hopefully within the next few days I should be able to give you a little more information. Got to find the original film, interview those involved etc., etc.

I can understand you are itching to get your hands on copy of the DVD but please be patient for a little longer. I am sure it will be worth it.

If all else fails I will get a copy to you anyway. Promise.

Alan
Alan
Regular

Postby Brian Williamson » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:12 am

Alan wrote:It has now been transferred to DVD and will be shown at the Stoke-on-Trent Film Theatre, hopefully on Wednesday, 11th December, 2013 together with another old film of a wheelwright making a wheel at Shrugborough Hall.

Alan

Is there somwthing bigger going on in Stoke on that date or is it 'just' the screening?

Brian.
http://www.westcountrycoppice.co.uk

undergreenwood.wordpress.com

'Measure twice and cut once'
Brian Williamson
Regular

Postby Alan » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:15 pm

Hi Brian,
Thanks for showing an interest.

The film theatre in near to Stoke railway station and entrance is free on a first come first served basis.

You can always make a day of it by visiting various places in the area.

The Gladstone Pottery museum in Longton where there is one of the old crates but in a poor state now.
The Museum at Hanley where they have the Staffordshire Gold Hoard on display.
The Wedgewood factory at Barlaston to view the ware being made.

I am hoping that Harold, the old cratemaker in the film, will attend and be available to answer any questions about the trade.

Alan
Alan
Regular

Postby monkeeboy » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:20 pm

Alan,

Is there any update on the Crate film?
Has the date/time been finalised?

I would like to come and it would be great to meet Harold if he can make it.

Have you been in touch with Peter Bloor, who i mentioned in a previous post?

Ta

Mike
monkeeboy
Regular

Postby Alan » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:22 pm

Hi Mike,
I am still waiting for Prof. Ray Johnson to come back to me to confirm whether or not he has located the original 16mm film. The show should go on with what we have if he is unsuccessful.
In the meantime I have been pestering Harold and getting as much information out of him as possible. He has just given me back the copies of the forum I ran off for him. He has made some comments that I tried to post last night. But as I am a light user it seems I ran out of time and it did not accept my offer.
Harold has also given me a file of his own with his written copy of how to make a crate. I am copying this and anything else of interest like the names and sizes of all the different types of crate. Prices etc.
As I said earlier I will update as soon as I know anything more about the show.
Thanks for the interest.
Alan.
Alan
Regular

Postby Alan » Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:59 am

Hi All,
Crate making film in Stoke re-scheduled.
Prof. Ray Johnson has just called me back to let me know that with the pressure of work he will be unable to get the crate making film ready for showing on the 11th December 2013 as promised. Since he already has a copy of the video I can only asume that he has now found the original film that will be of a far better quality. The work needed to get it ready for showing will take some time so It has had to be re-scheduled to Wed 15th Jan 2014.
He has promised to come over next week and give me more details.
Alan.
Alan
Regular

Postby monkeeboy » Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:10 pm

Thanks for that Alan.

Please keep us updated.
monkeeboy
Regular

Postby Alan » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:41 pm

Hi Mike,

There is more. I have been chasing Angela Lee at the Gladsone Museum to find out if she knows of Peter Bloor. It seems she met him at one of the festivals at Etruria some years ago through Andrew Watts of the Etruria Boat Group Volunteers and the link was crates for boats. Andrews email is andrew@ebgvs.org.uk.
She has also had a rummage through her files and has come up with more than she expected. She has sent it all through to me as ten files on a p.d.f. but I am having trouble opening the second half.
So far, I have got an undated photocopy of a file with photographs that she thinks comes from the 1920's titled Making a Crate.
There is another that she has already given to you with hand drawings that you have already posted on the forum.
And there is a photograph of her and Harold with his completed crate at the Gladstone Museum dated 1984.
Not able to do much about the rest at present but will get No. 1 son to sort it out for me then forward the files to you if that is possible. I might need to get Angela to re send the second half next week.
Just need to know where to send it. Email address?
It's not Christmas just yet, so be patient. Santa will come eventually.

Alan
Alan
Regular

Postby monkeeboy » Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:16 am

I have Peter's email.
I'll send you a PM.
monkeeboy
Regular

Postby Alan » Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:47 pm

Hi Mike,
Sorry, but when I eventually found how to get into PM's I only found the date and time from you but no message. I am a bit of a novice at this so you will need to help me with instructions.
Alan
Alan
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Greenwood crafts