Spalted Wooden Spoons?

For all those other associated crafts.

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

Spalted Wooden Spoons?

Postby rodtermaat » Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:49 am

I have some spalted cherry from my backyard. It makes a nice spoon and will post a picture once it is completed. It got me thinking about how this may effect the health of the user. It is pretty obvious this particular wood has a fungi running through out the fibers and therefore I do not plan to use the spoons, but rather display only.

Is that necessary? Does this pose a health risk? Also got me thinking that even if I can not see spalting that does not mean the wood is safe. Just questions with maybe no clear answers? I use my spoons everyday without any issues, but since I also sell these carved spoons it makes me a tad nervous. The last thing I want is for someone to get sick from something I made.

Also this year at the Spoon gathering Dell from Pinewood Forge mentioned that his mentor used potatoes to reduce cracking and splitting when a spoon was in process, but not yet finished. I assume the starch of the potato must contribute, but I am curious if someone can shed more light on this technique. Are they raw or cooked (mashed into a paste?).

thanks as always...
rod - in Nebraska
rodtermaat.blogspot.com
rodtermaat
Regular

Re: Spalted Wooden Spoons?

Postby robin wood » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:09 am

Wille doesn't use potato on a regular basis plastic bags are easier. With potato you bung up the pores in the open end grain of the wood, a halved cooked potato would be easiest.

I personally would not be concerned about spalted wood. If you do web research you will find some recommendations to the contrary but the sources are mostly woodturners using dry wood. The danger is the fine dry dust produced during manufacture.

I like the effects of the first fungi and bacteria as the colour changes a little without altering structural strength. Afterwards the fungi that break down lignin move in the wood starts to loose it's strength and I would not use it. Experience shows when it has gone too far. If in doubt use it in your own kitchen before selling anything like it.
http://www.robin-wood.co.uk bowls, books and courses
robin wood
Regular

Re: Spalted Wooden Spoons?

Postby rodtermaat » Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:02 am

Thanks. That is the answer I expected and was hoping for. Sometimes we just need a little validation.

much appreciated. rod
rodtermaat
Regular

Return to Greenwood crafts