York Train Station Bench

For all those other associated crafts.

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

Re: York Train Station Bench

Postby paul atkin » Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:52 pm

Probably about ten years ago now i fiitted a kitchen for a widower in Kilburn. Her departed husband had worked at the factory all his life from a very young age. Her house was a shrine to the mousemans work. Every piece of furniture including the fireplaces shelves and cupboards all had the distinctive mouse on them. The point that really hit home with me was the simple storage jars that she used for her flour and sugar. The mouse was on the side; not stuck on but part of the piece, yep they had been made on the polelathe. I had several long conversations with this lady it was fascinating to listen. Her husband had enjoyed most of his working life, but with the introduction of modern machines he became a little dispondent. Nowadays the mice are carved seperately and stuck on to most pieces. The lovely bowls from the early periods all had the mouse on the outside; now they are stuck in the bottom. Sadly the lovely adze marks on the york bench look to me like they have been made with a modern scollaped tooth electric planer. Oh well thats progress i supose :(
http://paulatkin.co.uk/

{the one with the pole of glee} morrigan 2008
paul atkin
Regular

Re: York Train Station Bench

Postby monkeeboy » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:33 pm

paul atkin wrote: Sadly the lovely adze marks on the york bench look to me like they have been made with a modern scollaped tooth electric planer. Oh well thats progress i supose :(

Interesting Paul.

Humans have a funny way of defining progress don't they?
Techno-fixes seem to be "progressive", even though they are actually regressive in many ways.

A "modern scollaped tooth electric planer" is a ridiculous concept in my opinion.
BUT, it does say on the Mouseman website that the surfaces are "hand adzed", I hope they don't mean "a hand-held automated adzing machine"!
monkeeboy
Regular

Previous

Return to Greenwood crafts