Kuksa pictures

For all those other associated crafts.

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

Re: Kuksa pictures

Postby ToneWood » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:51 pm

Excellent thread, inspiring. (Pity the Flickr images have disappeared). Some interesting designs.
ToneWood
Regular

Postby Mikkel Frederiksen » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:57 pm

Here is my latest kuksa. Alder and oil paint.

Mikkel Frederiksen
Regular

Postby bulldawg_65 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:26 pm

Very nice... I've noticed you put three parallel "v" grooves into each of your carvings. Is that your mark?
Phil Steele
bulldawg_65
Regular

Postby Baggy » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:36 pm

My latest...

Best wishes
Mark
----------------------------
I can spell but I cannot type.

Photos of the Chelmer and Blackwater canal
http://markbaigent.zenfolio.com/chelmer_blackwater
Baggy
Regular

Postby chainsawkid » Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:34 am

M F - I love the way your blue oil contrasts with the Adler and love the little specs and rays!

B - I really like the way the handle serves as a rest so as not to spill any of the important contents! Lovely simple lines too, loads of inspiration. So I'd better get out in the rain and do something :D
James Pumfrey
http://jamesthebowl.blogspot.co.uk/ Turning tales in Sussex
chainsawkid
Regular

Postby fish » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:16 pm

Mikkel Frederiksen wrote:I have been looking for inspiration for kuksas all over the net in the last couple of weeks. And there arent any galleries of kuksas out there (that I know of).

i started a kuksa group on flickr a while back theres a few images on it:
http://www.flickr.com/groups/1565793@N22/

heres a couple of mine:

fish
Regular

Postby ToneWood » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:38 pm

Inspiring images. Curious as to what tool was used to do the "chip carving" on the kuksa on P2?
And, more generally, how are you getting those super-smooth, refined finished? Are these turned on a lathe?

Also, I was surprised to see such highly figured wood in the kuksas (gorgeous), presumably from a burr/burl, and perhaps maple root section(?),
isn't that really hard to carved/adze? (Lathe?) I heard that burls are essentially like a scar/wart on the tree, with
lots of cross-fibres making them strong/tough and reducing the likelihood of splitting. (Somebody gave me a small one but
it may be too small to use.)
ToneWood
Regular

Postby Mikkel Frederiksen » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:23 pm

bulldawg_65 wrote:Very nice... I've noticed you put three parallel "v" grooves into each of your carvings. Is that your mark?

It has become my mark. Although I don't use it on everything i make. First I just used it as a decorative element, but I have become rather fond of it.
It looks good on handles on spoon and kuksa, so thats where i normally put them.

ToneWood wrote:Inspiring images. Curious as to what tool was used to do the "chip carving" on the kuksa on P2?

I did the chip carving with a SD chip carving knife.
Bought one about half a year ago. Lovely knife :D
Mikkel Frederiksen
Regular

Postby Simon Hill » Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:25 pm

Recent one from Birch.

Simon Hill
Regular

Postby ToneWood » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:00 pm

Wow, those are some amazing cups. That carved rim decoration is amazing, outlandish.
Some questions for you all:
* What did you use to colour the cups (e.g. the black & red ones) - wood stain, natural dyes,...?
* What tool or technique did you use to carve that chequering on the last kuksa? I tried using some cheap, small Toolzone carving tools this afternoon but they were pretty useless except the curved gouge - which unfortunately snapped off within a few minutes - and a flat, semi-circular tip, which I used to carved a gill plate and scales on my Bass Ladle, and one with a straight diagonal edge. It occurred to me that a Stanley knife might well do a better job.

It occurred to me recently that gunsmiths must be formidable carvers, what with shaping, precise chequering of the stocks & fore-ends and decorative & functional engraving of the metal.
ToneWood
Regular

Postby Ian S » Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:10 pm

ToneWood wrote:What tool or technique did you use to carve that chequering on the last kuksa?

Looks like kolrosing.

1) Draw a linear design in pencil
2) Incise with a knife (scalpel or craft knife is ideal) to maybe 0.5 mm depth.
3) Rub in powder (powdered alder bark is traditional, powdered cinnamon bark is easy to buy in the supermarket)
4) Rub oil over the top to remove the pencil marks and seal the powder.

It occurred to me recently that gunsmiths must be formidable carvers, what with shaping, precise chequering of the stocks & fore-ends and decorative & functional engraving of the metal.

No they aren't. Gunsmiths do the gunmaking work, but the woodwork is farmed out to a gun stock maker, and the engraving is farmed out to an engraver.
How sharp is sharp enough?
Ian S
Regular

Postby ToneWood » Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:16 pm

Thanks :) BTW Coffee grounds (finely ground) is suggested for staining on Pinewood Forge's kolrosing page. I like the look of the Pinewood Forge Kolrosing knife - it is very much like an ink dip pen to look at, just the thing for writing/drawing perhaps (the tip is unusually broad - which is not apparent in the side-elevation picture).

I guess a Stanley knife is a craft knife, isn't it? Bit big and wobbly perhaps. Actually I notice recently that Stanley now offer a smaller, much slimmer model, with smaller blades which looks more like a craft knife/"box cutter". We probably have something suitable laying around the house or garage.

I take your point about specializations within gunmaking - makes sense. Sounds like "division of labour", which is sometimes blamed for the demise of craftsmanship.
ToneWood
Regular

Postby alexyerks » Tue May 01, 2012 10:21 pm

New guy here from the US. I've been obsessed with carving kuksas the last year.

Here is a pile of my last couple months of carving work. Mainly white birch.

One from poplar:

Another white birch floating in the magnolias.
alexyerks
Regular

Postby alexyerks » Tue May 01, 2012 10:22 pm

Mikkel Frederiksen wrote:Here is my latest kuksa. Alder and oil paint.

I really love your style of carving these. The paint is super interesting too! Great work
alexyerks
Regular

Postby bulldawg_65 » Tue May 01, 2012 10:31 pm

Alexy, those are fantastic! Where are you from in the US? I'm in Indiana.
Phil Steele
bulldawg_65
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Greenwood crafts