Kuksa pictures

For all those other associated crafts.

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

Re: Kuksa pictures

Postby alexyerks » Tue May 01, 2012 10:33 pm

bulldawg_65 wrote:Alexy, those are fantastic! Where are you from in the US? I'm in Indiana.

Hey Phil,

I live in upstate NY. I had to join this forum after reading so many amazing threads with green woodworking. So many talented people here!

Thanks for the nice words
alexyerks
Regular

Postby bulldawg_65 » Wed May 02, 2012 2:22 am

You aren't kidding... I'm honored their even willing to talk to me! :)
Phil Steele
bulldawg_65
Regular

Postby ToneWood » Wed May 02, 2012 3:14 pm

Ditto. Those are also great photos Alex(y?) - I love that image of all those kuksas piled up :)

BTW Del Stubbs says the Kol in Kolrosing refers to coal - so coal dust is presumably another (traditional) option.
[Kolrosing discussion continued on this other thread: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2235&start=15]
ToneWood
Regular

Postby alexyerks » Thu May 03, 2012 3:34 pm

ToneWood wrote:Ditto. Those are also great photos Alex(y?) - I love that image of all those kuksas piled up :)

BTW Del Stubbs says the Kol in Kolrosing refers to coal - so coal dust is presumably another (traditional) option.
[Kolrosing discussion continued on this other thread: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2235&start=15]

Thanks Tonewood! Youre one of the reasons I joined here. I always see your useful posts and thought I might as well help the cause!

I really want to pickup a Stubbs kolrosing knife. Very affordable for a hand forged knife!
alexyerks
Regular

Postby Darrell » Fri May 04, 2012 10:48 pm

[quote="alexyerks"]New guy here from the US. I've been obsessed with carving kuksas the last year.

One from poplar:

Hey, that looks like you have something HOT in there (tea or coffee I presume?)
Can you put hot stuff in a kuksa without it self destructing?
I'm fearful of putting anything hot in my shrink pot, but I drink cold stuff out of it.

Maybe I need to try making a kuksa...

Darrell
any excuse to try my new Stubbs hook knife, before my wife wears it out on that djembe drum she's making
Wood Hoarder, Blade Sharpener, and Occasional Tool User
Darrell
Regular

Postby alexyerks » Sun May 06, 2012 5:15 pm

Darrell,

HECK YA! Hot coffee or birch tea on a daily basis. When I was boiling my wine brew a couple of weeks ago, it fell in the boiling pot for 10 minutes until I realized and pulled her out... she was fine.

I try to carve one everyday now, so if one broke it'd make a nice wall trophy for me 8)

Del Stubbs... I wish I had some of his stuff. I want his kolrosing knife and sloyd.

I'm unsure of how shrink pots work. I understand they shrink and hold themselves together.. I bet it'd be fine if you let your coffee cool for a moment
alexyerks
Regular

Postby ToneWood » Sun May 06, 2012 8:47 pm

Darrell wrote:...any excuse to try my new Stubbs hook knife, before my wife wears it out on that djembe drum she's making
After each use, I strop my knives and axes (or sharpen if the edge is damaged), with autosolv (chrome polish) then plain leather - so I figure they get better with each use :). It's an "empowering belief" :D

Perhaps oak kuksas for hot beverages are the future? Tannins from oak casks are said to responsible for the supposed health benefits of red wine and real ale (although the alcohol can rot your liver). If the kuksa can take it, drinking hot (green) tea from an oak mug sounds like a good way to get the benefits while avoiding the damage. But I guess it'd have to be raw, unoiled/unwaxed wood.

Was hoping to make my first kuksa soon but haven't found a suitable blank yet (not sure how big it needs to be).
ToneWood
Regular

Re: Kuksa pictures - maple burr

Postby Baggy » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:49 am

Maple burr kuksa

Best wishes
Mark
----------------------------
I can spell but I cannot type.

Photos of the Chelmer and Blackwater canal
http://markbaigent.zenfolio.com/chelmer_blackwater
Baggy
Regular

Postby bulldawg_65 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:14 pm

That is pretty nice Bags... Hopefully I'll be able to do my apple burl that kind of justice. :D
Phil Steele
bulldawg_65
Regular

Postby ToneWood » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:50 pm

Nice work Baggy. I thought burrs are super-tough and could only be worked on a lathe, so interesting to see this, which presumably was carved with only hand tools. Was the burr tough to work with, I understand they have cross fibres (scar tissue) which makes them strong and stable? (Are you a guitarist?)
ToneWood
Regular

Postby Baggy » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:50 pm

bulldawg_65 wrote:That is pretty nice Bags... Hopefully I'll be able to do my apple burl that kind of justice. :D

Thanks, I suspect apple will be tough :-)
Best wishes
Mark

Baggy
Regular

Postby Baggy » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:55 pm

Hiya

ToneWood wrote:Nice work Baggy. I thought burrs are super-tough and could only be worked on a lathe, so interesting to see this, which presumably was carved with only hand tools. Was the burr tough to work with, I understand they have cross fibres (scar tissue) which makes them strong and stable?

The burr was interesting to work with constant grain changes, from hard to crumbly. Yes only hand tools were used.

ToneWood wrote:(Are you a guitarist?)

That clean hand belongs to my daughter, my paws are somewhat less feminine :-)
Best wishes
Mark

Baggy
Regular

Postby fish » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:50 pm

finished this one recently,its made from beech burl that i found local to me ,the leaf inspiration came from http://spooncarvingfirststeps.blogspot.co.uk/ my atmpts are not as refined as his for sure!

thanks for looking.
fish
Regular

Postby Baggy » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:26 am

Hi Fish, I do like your kuksas and that is another good one :-)
Best wishes
Mark

Baggy
Regular

Postby fish » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:09 am

thanks baggy!
fish