Green wood carving books?

For all those other associated crafts.

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

Re: Green wood carving books?

Postby ToneWood » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:54 pm

Good question Nic. I don't have plans currently but I am curious. Not wrought iron-gates (although impressed by the very elaborate ones shown on TV recently). My interest is in smaller, practical things: tools, especially carving tools, bench hooks/hold-downs, maybe hooks for the house/garage, how heat and other processes affect them, iron/steel, etc. Perhaps crafted items for home (e.g. unique door furniture). Basic metalworking knowledge & skills seem to be useful things to have when dealing with tools. I guess repair, maintenance & refurbishment of tools has become an interest too.

BTW I came across this interesting PDF on blacksmithing - more aimed at Bushcraft/developing countries: http://www.bushcraftuk.com/downloads/pd ... ithing.pdf
ToneWood
Regular

Identifying Wood: Accurate Results with Simple Tools

Postby ToneWood » Sat May 11, 2013 8:45 am

Several times, forum members (including myself) have asked for help identifying wood. Other forum members have often been able to help pin it down. But as Robin Wood, has pointed out, it can be almost impossible, short of DNA testing. I just came across this book;
Identifying Wood: Accurate Results with Simple Tools [Hardcover] - R.Bruce Hoadley (Author)

Too specialized for my needs but it occurs to me that some other forum members (e.g. those with microscopes) might find it interesting (perhaps from the library, not cheap). I also notice that: it has a table of trees/species (inc. Latin names) that seems larger and more thorough than any I have seen before, it appears to include North American and European trees. Has some interesting taxonomies, showing how trees are classified. Diagrams of "tree anatomy".
Last edited by ToneWood on Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
ToneWood
Regular

Postby ToneWood » Sun May 26, 2013 10:28 am

I often refer to Jogge's book above. If you are interested but not ready to "splash the cash", quite a lot of it can be viewed in Google Books preview: http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=DDGN ... en&f=false
(Now, if they could just apply Google-translate to the content...)
Last edited by ToneWood on Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ToneWood
Regular

Postby ToneWood » Mon May 27, 2013 8:31 pm

This might interest some of you toolmakers, alas just one used set on Amazon:

"Scandinavian Blacksmithing Set: Norwegian Blacksmithing plus Swedish Blacksmithing"
(2 Book Set) [Paperback]
- by Hårvard Bergland (Author), Karl-Gunnar Norén (Author), Lars Enander (Author)

(Is Scandinavian blacksmithing much/any different to English/British/American/German/French blacksmithing?)

We discussed the Swedish book previously (above). More info. on/images of the Norwegian book here:
http://www.artisanideas.com/product.jhtm?id=1790&cid=13
http://www.bluemoonpress.org/index.php/ ... g-the.html
Last edited by ToneWood on Mon May 27, 2013 8:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ToneWood
Regular

Postby ToneWood » Mon May 27, 2013 8:47 pm

Came across this interesting looking book - nice adze:
"Tool Making for Woodworkers" [Paperback]
- by Ray Larsen (Author)

Cheaper here ($22.95): http://www.cambiumbooks.com/books/hand_ ... 964399989/

Interesting page with lots of links to various woodwork tool making articles: http://www.wkfinetools.com/tmaking/maki ... -index.asp
Last edited by ToneWood on Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ToneWood
Regular

Postby ToneWood » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:26 pm

New book (last year, Nov 2012), reduced price, free shipping , foreword by Mike Abbott and lots to see using Amazon's "look inside"-feature:
Greenwood Crafts: A Comprehensive Guide [Hardcover]
by Edward Mills (Author), Rebecca Oaks (Author)
ToneWood
Regular

Postby ToneWood » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:51 am

FYI Mike Abbott's updated and re-issued book is now available for "pre-order" on Amazon:
Living Wood: From Buying a Woodland to Making a Chair, 4th Edition [Paperback] - by Mike Abbott (Author)

I am beginning to wonder whether it might be worth buying some of these well regarded books (this one, Wille's, Ray Tibor's, Jogge's, Robin Wood's) as small investments - they seem to be printed in relatively small batches and then go out of print, despite continued interest & demand.
ToneWood
Regular

Postby gavin » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:08 pm

ToneWood wrote:I am beginning to wonder whether it might be worth buying some of these well regarded books (this one, Wille's, Ray Tibor's, Jogge's, Robin Wood's) as small investments - they seem to be printed in relatively small batches and then go out of print, despite continued interest & demand.

Yes - course it is. How often do you buy a tool you hope will work but then fails to deliver? You have a risk premium already in your mind when you buy any tool, knowing that perhaps 40% of tools won't deliver. But with books from well-regarded authors you only need one idea to pay back the cost. They are MUCH less risky and readily re-saleable than any 2nd hand tools. If you ain't got Ray Tabor's series you are barking mad in my NOT humble opinion. And depending on your particular interests, the other authors cited are all worth having on your bookshelf. If I am wrong, you'll be able to readily sell them for at least 50% of what you paid for them. They don't rust, go blunt or otherwise suffer tool-deterioration. That's far less downside than for any tool you may buy and then seek to sell on.
Gavin Phillips

- teacher, demonstrator & supporter of greenwoodworking & human-powered turning
- Supplier of Fun & Confidence

info@shed-therapy.com
http://www.shed-therapy.com
gavin
Regular

Swedish Carving Techniques by Wille Sundquist

Postby ToneWood » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:30 pm

Once rare as hens' teeth, at long, long last: Wille Sundqvist's bible on Swedish Woodcarving techniques is available once again. :)
You can order direct from the publisher, Taunton Press, in the USA but -- if you don't need it for Christmas -- simpler & cheaper now to
pre-order it from Amazon, currently @ £14.20 - which includes an 8% discount + free shipping (a considerable saving vs. DHL from the USA):

Swedish Carving Techniques by Wille Sundqvist

I got one from the publisher in the USA and I like it a lot. Although essentially the same book as the hardback German version [see earlier in thread], I am surprised at how different the format, content and even the included images are.

The bubble has finally burst on the price of this book...for now at least...but it seems destined to be a timeless classic.

UPDATE: I've learnt a lot from it already, beyond what I was previously able to glean from the German version (e.g. direction of wet grinding wheel, free-hand grinding technique v. jigs, bevel angles,...) lots of small things that are often discussed on this forum are covered, so it's interesting to finally read Wille's perspective & opinions - he has a refreshingly positive and interestingly pragmatic approach (e.g. he strongly prefers hand tools but uses slow motor driven wet wheels but prefers free-hand grinding to jigs but recommends sharpening sticks to help free-hand grinding...).
ToneWood
Regular

Postby ToneWood » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:44 pm

Not so much a greenwood carving book but perhaps something of interest for those of us with the low-budget workshops. This cheap book explains how to simply convert 415V 3-phase motors to work with regular 240V single-phase supplies . Might be useful if you come across, say, an old professional 415V 3-phase wet grinding wheel on ebay [see: grinding wheel thread for example] but don't have the budget or desire to install 3-phase wiring (as some forum members have done).

Electric Motors in the Home Workshop (Workshop Practice) - by Jim Cox

[Suggestion: Read the first review ;) ]
ToneWood
Regular

Re: Swedish Carving Techniques by Wille Sundquist

Postby ToneWood » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:37 pm

ToneWood wrote:...impler & cheaper now to
pre-order it from Amazon, currently @ £14.20 - which includes an 8% discount + free shipping (a considerable saving vs. DHL from the USA):

Swedish Carving Techniques by Wille Sundqvist

PRICE DROP: Amazon just dropped their price to £13.80 - i.e. 12% discount + free shipping :)
If you already pre-ordered, the price to you will drop for you too - Amazon's "Pre-order Price Guarantee" :)
ToneWood
Regular

Postby ToneWood » Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:59 am

PRICE DROP: FYI The Amazon website says the price has now been lowered to £13.12 inc. delivery but I ordered a copy and they lowered the price again on that to £12.71 inc. shipping - deep joy :) Strengthening £ perhaps?
ToneWood
Regular

Postby arborrider » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:47 am

$18.60 USD at Amazon usa with free shipping option. ~11.3 GBP today. Price keeps dropping. Have not looked at the used prices. Last year here in the USA most were priced +$100usd.
noelh
I may be dull, but my blades are sharp:)
arborrider
Regular

Location: Bayview Township, northwoods of Wisconsin along the SouthShore of Lake Superior

Postby ToneWood » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:18 pm

If you are interested in this book (I like it - built my shave horse from the plan in it - but it is in German :( ), there is a large on-line preview here at Google books: http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=DDGN ... F5&f=false
ToneWood
Regular

Postby ToneWood » Wed May 07, 2014 1:01 pm

Amazon's price for Wille Sundqvist's book has since risen since the above post but alternative vendors selling through Amazon now have lower prices, starting at £10.66 inc. shipping: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1627 ... D7KIOCJ3LD

The new version of Mike Abbott's book is also now cheaper through Amazon's alternative sellers £13.50 inc shipping: Living Wood: From Buying a Woodland to Making a Chair, 4th Edition [Paperback] - by Mike Abbott (Author)

Ditto Robin Wood's Bowl book.
Last edited by ToneWood on Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ToneWood
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Greenwood crafts