Ready for a good mow, just the grass has still to grow.

For all those other associated crafts.

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

Ready for a good mow, just the grass has still to grow.

Postby mstibs » Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:07 pm

A hazel rod and some branch wood result in a new scythe snath. I bought the blade yesterday at a local dealer who still has old GDR tools in stock. It cost me 1 Euro and it's stamped "Made in USSR". :D The Collar was the only part that really cost me money - 5 Euros as I remember. On to the pictures...
IMG_0156.JPG
IMG_0156.JPG (179.96 KiB) Viewed 1962 times

IMG_0157.JPG
IMG_0157.JPG (138.61 KiB) Viewed 1962 times

IMG_0158.JPG
IMG_0158.JPG (144.04 KiB) Viewed 1962 times

IMG_0159.JPG
IMG_0159.JPG (101.42 KiB) Viewed 1962 times

IMG_0160.JPG
IMG_0160.JPG (128.9 KiB) Viewed 1962 times

IMG_0161.JPG
IMG_0161.JPG (150.2 KiB) Viewed 1962 times

IMG_0162.JPG
IMG_0162.JPG (127.49 KiB) Viewed 1962 times

Shortcomings of the design: round tenons (16 mm diameter). I had to cheat with two screws so that the handles don't turn while using the scythe. And yes, I sanded the handles. :?
Measurements are metric and fitted for myself (1.84 m height). Advice and improvements are appreciated.
Next hazel rod is already drying:
IMG_0165.JPG
IMG_0165.JPG (62.29 KiB) Viewed 1962 times

I still need to find steel and turn myself a rake maker.

Best!
STIBS
Saxons. Were good wood-turners, they had to be because they were poor potters...from "A Short History of Woodturning with the Pole-lathe" by Brian G. Howarth; My bilingual (de/en) Blog: http://mstibs.wordpress.com
mstibs
Regular

Re: Ready for a good mow, just the grass has still to grow.

Postby steve tomlin » Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:59 pm

Hi STIBS,
We are all now just waiting for the grass to grow, the pleasure of anticipation! While you wait why not join us for International Peening Day on 1st April (honestly) and put your grandfather's peening bench to good use. I mowed with those Russian blades when I was in Transylvania, the metal is a bit softer than the modern Austrian ones so they wear quicker but 1 euro is a good price!

Did you follow a pattern when making your snath? I would suggest turning the right-hand grip round so they both point the same way. A straight line through the grips should ideally meet the blade at a point one-third along it's length from the heel. The shaft looks like it's got some nice curves in it in the first picture. When you're happy with the grips, trim the tenon and then wedge them in the shaft which should hold them.

I'm working on a couple of snaths at the moment as well, this will spur me on to get them done.

cheers,
Steve
steve tomlin
Regular

Postby mstibs » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:39 pm

steve tomlin wrote:the metal is a bit softer

Indeed, my dad had one of these blades on his scythe and I remember it well. I just couldn't resist at this price. As for the International Peening Day, I already commented your Scytherspace posting. :D If the Green League organizes something I'm game and travel to the meeting with two peening stations and two scythes. If not, I just sit alone in the backyard and hammer away. Maybe my wife takes some pictures ... he he :mrgreen:

steve tomlin wrote:Did you follow a pattern when making your snath? I would suggest turning the right-hand grip round so they both point the same way. A straight line through the grips should ideally meet the blade at a point one-third along it's length from the heel. The shaft looks like it's got some nice curves in it in the first picture. When you're happy with the grips, trim the tenon and then wedge them in the shaft which should hold them.

Pattern: My old scythe ... I followed it roughly. I started mowing with it when I was 14 and still use it. But the grips are too low (guess I've grown since), that's why I adapted sizes to my height.
The grips: I tried mowing with turned lower grip when my father bought a snath with this layout and I never got used to it. I usually grab the lower handle at the bent corner so it roughly meets the point at 1/3rd of the blade.
The curves: Actually I searched for hazel with those curves to closely match the steam bended shaft of my old scythe. They've cut masses of hazel on a km's long streetside near me and I spent an hour finding something nice.
The round tenons: Wedging them in - bingo! I've built a lot of stools this way, why not the grips. Sometimes you don't see the wood because of all the trees in the line of sight. Thanks for enlighting me. :idea:

Good luck with your own snaths!

Cheers!
STIBS
Saxons. Were good wood-turners, they had to be because they were poor potters...from "A Short History of Woodturning with the Pole-lathe" by Brian G. Howarth; My bilingual (de/en) Blog: http://mstibs.wordpress.com
mstibs
Regular

Postby steve tomlin » Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:18 pm

mstibs wrote: I usually grab the lower handle at the bent corner so it roughly meets the point at 1/3rd of the blade.

You're right, the line looks good like that. I know well the feeling of looking through hazel for just the right curves, well done on finding it.

Definitely get some pictures of Peening Day, I want to have a gallery online somewhere.
Steve
steve tomlin
Regular

Return to Greenwood crafts