No votes
I prefer wood that has some paint and some natural wood
5%
I refuse to vote
11%

Total votes : 19

Painted wood

Postby SeanHellman » Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:11 pm

Some shrink pots and green woodwork do not need any form of painting, some do. I have a feeling that quite a lot of people have issues with painted wood. I know that this is changing, especially because a few bowls have been painted and spoon makers are certainly getting into painting their handles. I may of course be wrong, so just out of interest I have created a poll. What do you all think? I have just done this painted shrink pot from milk paint and shellac. You may or may not like the painted finish, this poll is not a vote on this painted pot, but on painted wood in general.
Attachments
Stupa-red-shrink-pot-open.jpg
Stupa-red-shrink-pot-open.jpg (24.26 KiB) Viewed 5514 times
Stupa-red-shrink-pot-1.jpg
Stupa-red-shrink-pot-1.jpg (47.4 KiB) Viewed 5514 times
"Scarcely anything is original- it`s very hard to be totally inventive, so I am not terribly interested in originality. Vitality is all I care about" Clive James
Green wood courses, tools, demonstrations.
http://www.seanhellman.com/woodwork/
SeanHellman
Regular

Re: Painted wood

Postby bulldawg_65 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:50 pm

Sean, I think the shrink pot is brilliant. The technique definitely gives it an aged and well used look. :)

Also for traditionalists, there is precedent. Many old pieces were originally painted as well. Seems our forebears liked color in their lives.
Phil Steele
bulldawg_65
Regular

Postby SeanHellman » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:17 pm

Thanks Phil. I agree, many cultures use to paint loads of stuff, even Greek marble statues where known to be painted. We have a very different relationship to colour these days. We are bombarded by bright saturated colour everywhere, especially through the screen. Go back a few centuries and there was not as much colour around us, live in the woods in dark houses, with wooden furniture and gloomy winters and no wonder wood was painted. Some years ago I thought it was heresy to paint wood and of course who would paint a figured walnut. Well actually I was told at a show by a man who when younger made a beautiful walnut serving trolly, he recently gave it to his nephew who promptly painted it. A rather upsetting experience for the maker. I think I am in the camp of mixing paint and natural wood colour,as in this.
Attachments
bear.jpg
bear.jpg (16.4 KiB) Viewed 5479 times
"Scarcely anything is original- it`s very hard to be totally inventive, so I am not terribly interested in originality. Vitality is all I care about" Clive James
Green wood courses, tools, demonstrations.
http://www.seanhellman.com/woodwork/
SeanHellman
Regular

Postby AlexanderTheLate » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:42 pm

It is hard to make a general statement, each object almost has to be treated individually. Personally, I almost never paint wood, I like the look of unpainted wood, and I rarely see it anymore: Few people seem to agree with me (I hear words like 'dark' 'dingey' and 'old-fashioned' being used! :shock: ). But I really like that pot and cup, and I really like lots of other, painted work I have seen. The skill of the painter, and the way they paint probably has something to it as well.
I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots.- Unknown.
AlexanderTheLate
Regular

Postby ToneWood » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:15 pm

Both awesome - original & interesting! :) It may be a passing phase but I really like Jogge's recent partially-painted work - to me, it seems fresh, crisp and modern/modernist. Much of this forum is dedicated to traditional crafts, which is great, but also interesting to see something a bit different.

BTW Jogge's book, Schnitzen mit Jogge Sundqvist, shows an old, carved and painted item [on P11] with the date, 1872, carved into it - it's 141 hundred years old! "Ain't nothin' new under the sun" ;).

A book on old Swedish bowl, featuring painted bowls & one of Jogge's DVDs featuring painted items:

ImageImage
Not sure about that blue dough bowl though.
ToneWood
Regular

Return to Greenwood crafts