Spoon Appreciation - old spoons

For all those other associated crafts.

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

Spoon Appreciation - old spoons

Postby ToneWood » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:01 pm

Interesting Swedish spoon - c. 1970s?

This Swedish spoon on ebay caught my eye: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Swedi ... 3382c882dd
Red spoon 2 - small rotated.jpg
Red spoon 2 - small rotated.jpg (52.17 KiB) Viewed 7667 times

My first thought was "70s"/modernist - it reminds me a lot of the highly modern designs that started appearing in the late 60s/early 70s. Also of modernist Cornish Troika pottery. But there was an earlier modernist period (1930s).
Red spoon 3 - small.jpg
Red spoon 3 - small.jpg (34.64 KiB) Viewed 7667 times

"...bought it some years ago at an antique market in Stockholm, Sweden...spoon measures approx. 7 7/8" long x 2 1/4" at the widest part of the bowl." - shorter than I expected.

Red spoon 5 - small 180.jpg
Red spoon 5 - small 180.jpg (63.77 KiB) Viewed 7664 times

Red spoon 1 - small vert.jpg
Red spoon 1 - small vert.jpg (56.34 KiB) Viewed 7667 times

Love it!
ToneWood
Regular

Re: Spoon Appreciation - old spoons

Postby kikodenzer » Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:08 pm

I recently got a gorgeous (old? E'n European? boxwood?) spoon in a trade, and am wondering if anyone might recognize anything about it: wood, maker, regional style/detailing. None of my pix see to want to load, so forgive me for pointing you to a post on my website: http://www.handprintpress.com/authors/beautiful-spoon/ I also did a little analytical sketch so I could better understand why I like it so much. Now to work on making my own copies! The spoon came from the collection of a traveler and collector who did a lot of wandering in Europe.

-- Kiko
kikodenzer
Regular

Postby ToneWood » Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:04 pm

I've never seen one quite like that Kiko:
It's funny how some spoons grab a person & some not, the one at the top did it for me (not terribly practical but it reminded of the home of a family friend c. 1970s) & as did a much different one by forum member bulldawg (a ladle/salad spoon, image elsewhere on this forum). The one you reference didn't immediately grab me, at first glance it looks "normal", even though, as I said, I've never seen one quite like it. Perhaps that is the beauty of it: that it looks normal/right/correct/eminently usable & functional?

Your diagram is insightful. You clearly like the relative proportions of the spoon (as do I)- which is interesting, useful information. I will think of it next time I carve a spoon - I have not been satisfied with the shape & proportions of the bowls on the spoons I have carved so far.

[The images above are just image links to your website. If you remove or move the images there, they will disappear here too.]
ToneWood
Regular

Postby Steve Martin » Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:33 am

Your sketch reminds me of a book - By Hand & Eye by George Walker and Jim Tolpin, published by Lost Art Press. Even though I have been carving spoons for about 25 years I hadn't "seen" the proportions you demonstrated until I read your post. Thank you! Even after reading their book, I was still thinking in terms of furniture and buildings, not spoons.
Recently, at a historic site demonstration one of the other demonstrators asked me to make a cover for each of his 3 small cannons, the largest barrel was about 22" long. I proceeded to make a story board to use after I got home as I did not have timber with me that was large enough to turn the pieces. He asked how I was going to know what size to turn the pieces as I had not recorded any inch measurements to use when I got home. I think he finally understood what the storyboard was all about, but it certainly made an impact on me that many "craftsman" can't seem to do their work if they don't have a measurer to tell them "how long/big something is". With your relational drawing, one can make a "copy" of virtually any size if one has a blank large enough.
Steve Martin
Regular

Postby kikodenzer » Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:02 pm

golden.jpg
golden.jpg (20.02 KiB) Viewed 7087 times
thanks, all for the replies. I know the book By Hand and Eye. Tho I haven't bought it yet, I enjoyed their online demo videos, which are fascinating. Interesting, too, that despite the obvious differences in style, the proportions of both spoons are very basically similar -- roughly three bowls long -- and both display a similar proportion between the wide part of the handle at the end, and the narrower neck at the bowl end -- and both of those relations also happen to measure out to something very close to the golden mean -- ha! I hadn't gotten that far in my drawing. (The mention of using a story board rather than a tape to transfer measurements is very interesting. I didn't really "get" the golden mean until I saw it graphically illustrated as a whole number progression:

golden.jpg
golden.jpg (20.02 KiB) Viewed 7087 times

which is, of course, how nature arrives at all relationships.

And speaking of drawings/pix, thanks very much, Tonewood, for putting those up!
kikodenzer
Regular

Postby ToneWood » Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:45 pm

No problem ;) By the way, as a handy reference, credit cards are (perhaps fittingly) a golden rectangle i.e. their sides are in the ratio 1:1.612, the golden ratio. The wonderfulness of the golden rectangle risks being overstated though. Other ratios are can be as pleasing or more pleasing - for example 2:3 rectangles. Robin Williams (bless him) provided a warning in Dead Poets Society: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpeLSMKNFO4
ToneWood
Regular

Postby kikodenzer » Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:50 am

can't help it: more on fibonacci and golden ratios:

a wonderful movie that relates number to nature's processes: http://www.etereaestudios.com/docs_html ... _index.htm

and a video by "mathmusician" Vi Hart, also explaining the nature of the numbers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahXIMUkSXX0

useful and beautiful, like spoons!
kikodenzer
Regular

Return to Greenwood crafts