Re handling Mora Spoon Knifes

discussion of anything related to tools

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

Re handling Mora Spoon Knifes

Postby Richtea71 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:41 pm

Hi I am wondering if to rehandle my Mora Spoon Knifes with longer handles, has anyone done this ???
Any info and Ideas on doing this would be great and very much appreciated.... I have ground onside of my double sided 163
Smooth To give a open curved mora.....

Love this site more and more every time I visit
Richtea71
Regular

Re: Re handling Mora Spoon Knifes

Postby woodness sake » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:34 pm

The top Knife is a very old Frost with a 7 1/2 inch handle. It is my favorite, as it sharpens well and keeps an edge.
The lower knife is a Mora with a 9 inch handle. It is not my favorite.
The handles that came with the knives were too short as well as to large in section. I kept thing if I had a longer handle, I could get better leverage and reach. They have worked well for me.
hooks2.jpg
hooks2.jpg (42.12 KiB) Viewed 265 times
Last edited by woodness sake on Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
woodness sake
Regular

Postby Richtea71 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:00 pm

Cool thanks for the pics already giving me ideas thanks
Richtea71
Regular

Postby Simon Hartley » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:54 am

Interesting thread; I use a scorp for hollowing spoon bowls and it has a handle around 3" long. I would have thought that a longer handle for leverage works better for tools like stock knives which are braced against a fixed point.
Simon Hartley
Regular

Postby Richtea71 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:14 pm

Well here is my first attempt today at re handling Mora Knife....... with a 8" Handle had to cut the Tang down a bit as couldn't find a drill bit long enough in toolbox... Twine whipping is Just belt and braces.
Fingers crossed it works well, it feels better in my Hand ( Small Hands).
Not the best pictures just quick snaps.. gives an idea
Look forward to seeing other memebers handles etc...
Attachments
IMG_406.jpg
IMG_406.jpg (101.86 KiB) Viewed 1154 times
IMG_407.jpg
IMG_407.jpg (101.63 KiB) Viewed 1154 times
Richtea71
Regular

Postby ilerner2 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:28 pm

Richtea71, glad you posted this thread. I had purchased all of the Mora crook knives available but sadly I was underwhelmed. Part of the problem was the short handles. When using a double sided knife such as these you can't lever the blade from behind with your fingers as the back edge is also sharpened. So without that ability to push the blade along the alternative is a fulcrum type action with the handle and as the handles are short it makes it hard to work with. I too have been wanting to re-handle mine.

Questions;

What was the process like getting the orignal handles off?
Were the orignal handles destroyed in the process of getting them off?
How long was the tang within the handle? Approximately?
Were they epoxied in?

I do like the fact that the Mora knife blades are thicker and as such transfer energy to the cutting edge more efficiently than a thinner more flexible blade.

There may be hope for these knives after all! Thanks
ilerner2
Regular

Postby Richtea71 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:20 am

Hi there, well the process is quite easy really, If you look at the the end of your Mora Knifes you can see a hole with a Roll pin, all I did was Used a nail Punch to knock the blade out, although One of them I have done Three now I put the blade into a soft jawed Vice and knocked the handle off.....

I still have the original handles and No damage was caused to mine...... But will never go back to short handles.
The tangs are the length of the original handle if that helps so that’s how long I kept them in new handles.

And yes I used epoxy to help hold the blades in place, although I did make the holes nice a tight.....

Hope this helps any thing else just drop me a line and I’ll try my best .... cheers and good luck well worth changing the handles as it makes them a different knife to use altogether, I have also removed the original bevels and rounded the face now and slightly ground the back as well, Super super sharp and work really well certainly if like me budget is always tight.
Richtea71
Regular

Postby ilerner2 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:04 am

Handles came off with no issues whatsoever. I turned three new oak handles on the lathe and drilled them our on the lathe also. I will buy some two part epoxy tomorrow and put them back into service. I plan to try the handles just in the round but if I don't like them I'll carve them into octagons. Thanks for your input. I'll let you know how they turn out for comfort etc. Cheers
ilerner2
Regular

Postby ilerner2 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:17 am

[quote="Richtea71"][/quote]

Well I knocked out those old handles and turned new ones on the lathe, drilled them out and then epoxied them into the new handles. I gave them overnight to cure and was really impressed with the difference in the way the performed vs the way they performed prior to mounting the knives into the current longer (8""long) handle. Not only is it more efficient but much more comfortable in the hands also. It affords me much more leverage which equals more comfort and far less fatigue while in use, it is like using totally different knives. I don't understand why they sell these with such short handles. Yeah, cost etc. I get that. So put a decent handle on and charge more! The difference in the way they perform now vs the way they performed with the short handles is night and day.

Thanks for sharing this post. It encouraged me to try the same and I am anything but disappointed for my efforts. Cheers Rich71!
ilerner2
Regular

Postby Richtea71 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:39 am

Hi ilerner2 that’s great, I am really Glad You are pleased, When I did mine it was a Bit of a leap into the dark, but In for a penny in for a pound I thought and I am pleased that I rehandled mine...... as I find the Blades are really quite good with some fetling and honing , I get super sharp and the edge seems to last well.

All the best for your Carving and next projects cheers Ric
Richtea71
Regular

Return to Tools