billhook sheath suggestion please

discussion of anything related to tools

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

Re: billhook sheath suggestion please

Postby Billman » Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:37 pm

Found a recipe for grammel bread - dough with chopped pork cracking in it - so I guess use as bread cutter is not too far out.... Sorry, another sheath to make up again...
Attachments
Billhook sheath 2.jpg
Billhook sheath 2.jpg (100.54 KiB) Viewed 9468 times
Collector and restorer of old agricultural edge tools, especially billhooks
Billman
Regular

Postby RichardLaw » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:34 am

Billman wrote:Found a recipe for grammel bread - dough with chopped pork cracking in it - so I guess use as bread cutter is not too far out.... Sorry, another sheath to make up again...

Bit like the French fougasse then?

Of course they are still in plentiful supply in France for cutting baguettes into those slices that are omnipresent in French restaurants.
RichardLaw
Regular

Postby jez » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:26 am

They are all rather complicated. I made one just by folding a piece of card over the billhook and making it so it just slides in and sits there with a single Sam Brown stud at the handle end of the blade to stop it escaping. A more elegant solution than any of the above Unfortunately although I stitched it up on a 45k and I've had it for over fifteen years I made the sheath left handed and I can no longer get hold of the 5mm horsehide. I stitched it up the top side of the blade, so there's no chance of the blade catching the stitching. I suppose I could take a photo but I've no idea how to post one.
jez
Regular

Postby RJWEcology » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:19 pm

I made one just by folding a piece of card over the billhook and making it so it just slides in and sits there

That's how I did mine. I'll post a pic if I can. I do like some of the leather suggestions though.
“When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world” ~ John Muir
RJWEcology
Regular

Postby gavin » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:21 am

jez wrote: I suppose I could take a photo but I've no idea how to post one.

refer here how to do this: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2439&p=19854&hilit=post+pictures#p19854
Gavin Phillips

- teacher, demonstrator & supporter of greenwoodworking & human-powered turning
- Supplier of Fun & Confidence

info@shed-therapy.com
http://www.shed-therapy.com
gavin
Regular

Postby jez » Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:53 pm

Thanks Gavin, I looked at the link and I'm still none the wiser.
jez
Regular

Postby jrccaim » Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:30 am

jez wrote:Thanks Gavin, I looked at the link and I'm still none the wiser.

OK, here you go.

(1) get the pic off the camera and into your computer. Remember where you put it. Can't tell you how to do that because I don't know how you manage pictures. Millions of packages.

(2) When you have composed your text and are ready to include the picture go to the bottom of the post page, right under the "Save Draft/Preview/Submit" buttons. There you will find a tab labeled "Upload attachment" Click on it. You will get a space to enter the filename. It is always safer to click on "browse" rather than enter the full path to the file; too easy to make a mistake.

(3) Just what happens next will depend on your browser and operating system, but all of them will pop up a panel that allows you to select the file and in fact to find it among the welter of files we all accumulate. So find your pic, select it, and click on "done" or "upload" or whatever your browser uses to indicate "yes, George, I want this one." Under Firefox, which I use, the correct response is "Open."

(4) With this hurdle overcome you will see the file name (usually a piece of it, not enough room for the full path to the file in the little area) to the left of the browse button. Success is almost in your grasp. Click on "Add the file". You will get a brand-new bit of stuff at the bottom of the post-you- text area. It will be labeled "Posted Attachments." I actually went through the selection process with a full-size file of my avatar, called "me.jpg."

(5) There are two buttons below a text box labeled "File Coment." the latter is a captioning option; I never use it. What you do is click on the "Place inline" button. What will happen is that you get some odd-looking text added to your post. It will took like the text in green letters below, only it won't be colored green :) and ignore the stuff above it -- had to use it to get Bodger's board not to take me literally :)
Code: Select all
[attachment]me.jpg[/attachment]

Do not worry about the odd look, it will all come out in the wash. You will not see anything resembling a picture.

(6) You may add any number of pictures by repeating steps 1-5. But beware. Bodger's board has a limit on file size. I can't remember what it is. But I take pictures in the "e-mail" size on my camera. Typical image around 250K. I reduce that by half, then take off 10% to make sure it fits. So I bring image size down below say 120K. If you have Adobe Photoshop(tm) this is trivial. If you don't (I sure don't; I run Linux and Adobe does not make photoshop for Linux), use XV. This is a freeware program, very useful, which is sort of the poor man's Photoshop. You may google on XV; it runs under a variety of OS including (yuk) Windows. Another free program is the Gimp. Again under all common OS. Linux, Windows, Mac. Just as capable as Phosotshop, and just as hard to master. That is why I don't use it; it is much easier for me to use XV. Just as a reminder, I save the reduced file with the latter "h" appended to the file name; stands for "halfsize". So me.jpg gets reduced to meh.jpg. Periodically I do a blitz and wipe out all the jpgs ending in "h." Once posted the file is of no use.

(7) And finally when you preview or submit you will see your pics in all their glory, provided only that they fit.

I find tthat the preceding steps (for me, anyway) are the easiest way to post pictures to Bodger's. But there is yet another way. For this, go to the Beginner's Corner and among the sticky items there you will find Robin Wood's clear instructions on how to post pictures. It involves using Photobucket. This is a website on which you may upload pictures. It requires joining (signing up) for photobucket. I have a constitutional aversion to giving away information. This is the road to being hacked. I did this in the beginning; no longer. My photobucket account has not been used for about three years now. But if you do not share my scruples you are welcome to go use this method. I suspect, but have not tried it, that the Picasa album method; and if you blog this might be yet a third way to go. After all it is just a link to some existent picture somewhere on the web. .
jrccaim
Regular

Postby jez » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:41 am

I really appreciate the effort you've gone to. I've followed your instructions but always get file name invalid. I even moved the file to different places and tried again and again. I'll ask my techy friend Roy to check my system. Thanks again. I thought I was doing something wrong but your instructions have reaffirmed that I have a glitch.
jez
Regular

Postby ToneWood » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:38 pm

Billman, that last billhook sheath is a beaut.
gavin wrote:
rogerspianocat wrote:...Image
I'll now make one very like this!

I think the nicest, and toughest looking, sheath that I've seen for something as big as a billhook, by far, is Lois Orford's sheath for Ben's award-winning Parang (the ultimate machete):
http://www.benorford.com/BushcraftWoodc ... fault.aspx
I think the D-ring is a clever feature. With large knives, esp. if they have a thigh strap, it is often useful/necessary to have a pivot.
ToneWood
Regular

Postby bodgerMorgan » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:38 am

I've been improving my billhook sheath design over the years and this is what I produce and sell now:

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/593529869/billhook-sheath-holster?ref=shop_home_active_2

Designed to be worn on the belt for quick and easy access when working in the woods. I add a copper protector so the billhook doesn't cut the leather as it slides in and use 5mm thick British leather. The extra layer of leather sewn between the front and back pieces also prevents the billhook from cutting the thread. And there's an option to include a pruning saw pouch on the front.

--
Morgan Leather
NATURAL - HANDMADE - BRITISH
http://www.morganleather.co.uk
@ukmorganleather
bodgerMorgan

Previous

Return to Tools