DIY mini Stock knife - first attempt

discussion of anything related to tools

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

DIY mini Stock knife - first attempt

Postby gavin » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:32 pm

I took an old drawknife and popped him in the forge.

I then straightened one tang (where the handle is now fitted) and I bent a kink into the other tang. In mine, I kinked the right-hand tang as shown so as to end up with a right-handed stock knife.

Here are two views of the finished item:

Then I fitted a gate-eyebolt to a scrap of softwood. The holes in the softwood are not related to this application:

Now fit the mini-stocknife into the eye:

And you can now get a useful cut into a lump of wood:

I imagine this will be useful for preparing spooncarving blanks but need to do a bit more experimenting. ( It is great for splitting kindling! :D )

:!: I think a left-handed mini stock knife would be helpful, so if you have any spare draw knives to give or sell cheap, let me know and we can come to some arrangement. This could be a good fate for that drawknife you never use.

My images are somewhat misleading, cos they suggest the scheme works with a little bit of softwood rolling round your kitchen. Actually you need anchor the softwood very firmly. I anchor mine in a vice, but have not shown you any images of holding the softwood in a vice as there is too much snow just now!

• I found it is useful to be able to raise or lower the eye to find the sweet spot for cutting.
  • The softwood billet would benefit from having ridges or perhaps shallow 20 mm diameter holes cut into it to better anchor the work as you heave on the handle.
Gavin Phillips

- teacher, demonstrator & supporter of greenwoodworking & human-powered turning
- Supplier of Fun & Confidence

info@shed-therapy.com
http://www.shed-therapy.com
gavin
Regular

Re: DIY mini Stock knife - first attempt

Postby dave budd » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:10 am

better than letting the drawknife go to waste I guess :) what sorts of things will you be making with it?

about 5 years ago I ran a drawknife making course using my iron age forges (for a friend, I wouldn't do it again!) and one of the fellows didn't have a use for another drawknife so we turned it into a small stock knife like yours. I don't know if he ever used it, but it was a similary shaped tool that he didn't already have :roll:
dave budd
Regular

Postby RichardLaw » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:10 pm

What a coincidence, I spotted the kindling splitter here: http://www.dick.biz/dick/category/dickc ... detail.jsf and tried rather badly to replicate it by nipping the nose of a froe between two pieces of wood bolted together - didn't work. I was going to ask whether anyone had made anything like the expensivo version, and now my question's answered! Still think there must be a way of doing this in a non-destructive way with an adze. I'll try again sometime.
RichardLaw
Regular

Postby dave budd » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:44 am

I knocked a kindling splitter up for my dad once that was just an old meat clever that had a hole through the front end ;)
dave budd
Regular

Postby gavin » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:49 am

dave budd wrote: what sorts of things will you be making with it?

Dunno yet, but think it would be good for roughing spoon blanks. Has anyone tried this?
Gavin Phillips

- teacher, demonstrator & supporter of greenwoodworking & human-powered turning
- Supplier of Fun & Confidence

info@shed-therapy.com
http://www.shed-therapy.com
gavin
Regular

Postby goldsmithexile » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:03 pm

It would be neat for making oak framing pegs, as well as accurate and safe spoon blanks (especially complex forms with many dirctions and angles), you could fit a gouge/adze type blade in the centre to do kuksa and bowl's. even fit vee tools and stuff to do applied decoration like on that fluting engine of David Pye. Leverage, power, acuracy AND safety in one package, cant be bad....... :D
goldsmithexile
Regular

Postby Nicola Wood » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:44 am

Yes, when I was working with clog maker Jeremy Atkinson a few years back I was thinking a smaller version of his knives could be used for spoon carving which is basically what you are suggesting. Clog makers use a flat bladed knife like the one Gavin made for the basic shaping, a hollower to shape the top of the sole, and a v-shaped one to cut a channel for the leather. Mind you, as with any tool there is a huge amount of skill involved in getting them to work effectively. A fair amount of force is needed to get them to cut effectively and it is easy to crush the wood that is against the bench or snap chunks off. I was watching Jeremy teaching somebody at the time so could both see how effectively it could be done and how difficult it actually was!
Nicola Wood
Regular

Postby robin wood » Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:56 am

When I first got into spoons and bowls and forging tools I did think that it would be the obvious way to go for spoons, make a mini clog makers set with stock knife and hollower. The reason I didn't was that actually it looses most of the things I find enjoyable about spoonmaking. That is freedom to do it anywhere with cheap, simple, readily available tools. It may speed things a little in a serious production workshop though I am not sure how much. Big leverage is needed for cutting clogs and tent pegs, I am not sure how much power it is possible to put into a spoon blank without crushing. Given good technique with hand held tools I suspect we get quite close to the limit.
http://www.robin-wood.co.uk bowls, books and courses
robin wood
Regular

Postby jrccaim » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:22 am

Good going, Gavin. It just occured to me that if you couldn't find a disposable drawknife, you could use a paper-cutting guillotine blade, which comes with the pivot already installed. One more thing to look out for at yard sales, come spring. Probably will have to regrind the blade.
jrccaim
Regular

Postby Artful » Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:41 am

The value of keeping old messages!
Been thinking of using old log cleaver/draw-knife to make stock knife - then saw suggestion of using old guillotine blade
- thankfuly they are quite easy to find thanks to phenomenon of 'health and saftey gone mad' - though they were one of the scariest pieces of office equipment!
Just bid for one on ebay - so will see how works out.
Artful

Return to Tools