cordless drill batteries

discussion of anything related to tools

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

Re: cordless drill batteries

Postby Billman » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:12 pm

What batteriews do you want to use?? Car batteries are usually lead acid and much more than 3Ah - typically 100's Ah - but you can get small lead acid type e.g. for motorbike or mowers... However, if you are using dry batteries ZnC (non rechargeable), Alkaline, NiCad, NiMh then typically 6 volt batteries are made up with 4 x 1.5 volt cells....

AA type batteries are typically 1300mAh, 2100mAh, 2500mAh or high power at 2850mAh (1000mAh = 1Ah).... Linking 12 x 1.5v x 1300mAh batteries in series will provide an 18v 1300mAh (1.3aH) battery pack. C type batteries, and D type batteries tend to be higher power... 12 x 1.5v C cells are often used in 18 volt battery packs - 3000mAh = 3Ah
(I say 1.5 volts, typically most rechargeables are rated at 1.2 volts but can hold up to 1.6 volts at full charge)....

If you want to rewire a battery pack you will have to strip it and buy the appropriate batteries - at £3/£4 each this may cost as much as a proprietry (non manufactuers)replacement battery - you have to solder it up and no guarantee if it goes wrong...

Query in the UK Dewalt tools and batteries are guaranteed for one year, in the US the tools have two year guarantee and the batteries three years.... oh, and they cost the same amount in dollars as pounds in the UK. 2x 3Ah 18v LioN batteries and charger cost me 100 USD last year (mind they are still in the US, pending my mate bringing them over) - why are we always ripped off in the UK?? (but not as bad as in France where NO trade discount is the norm)...
Collector and restorer of old agricultural edge tools, especially billhooks
Billman
Regular

Re: cordless drill batteries

Postby 1josephsutton » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:25 am

Yes, I have experience with Makita. I'm using it from last 2 years. It still has good battery backup. Now I need another one. I'm thinking to check out another brand. So can anybody suggest me another brand form this page? http://bestproducts-4u.com/best-cordless-drills/
Thanks.
1josephsutton

Previous

Return to Tools