New HK axe on the way...

discussion of anything related to tools

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

Re: New HK axe on the way...

Postby ToneWood » Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:00 pm

Re. the Baby SD carving axe, I was picturing a small viking-style/Gotland axe but I see it is more like, one of the small Gransfors hatchets (e.g. Wildlife?).
http://countryworkshops.org/Axes.html
That really is tiny: http://www.djarv.se/djarvenglish/yxor.asp Decent size handle though (more versatile I think).
I have a tiny Kent pattern axe - it's very light (much lighter than the small Swedish axes I expect), probably too light (looks like a different construction method was used, compared to larger traditional Kent pattern axes - it has no poll). I have sharpened it but haven't found it useful yet. Perhaps I should sharpen more and give it a more serious try.

I love those horizontal lines on the SD handles, I associate that with SD. I suppose they must use a different wood to everybody else (red birch perhaps)?

I was thinking of these SD axes:
ImageImage
I see SD have a new "sculpture axe" too:
ToneWood
Regular

Little contact adhesive & leather

Postby arborrider » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:33 pm

Came across couple sq ft of leather. Sorry Gavin for going this route. Not having sufficient funds for proper leather crafting tools I ended up using contact cement. Left enough of an allowance to allow for either stitching or riveting if needed. Whittled a toggle from a scrap piece of butternut to cinch the guard tight. Total cost assuming the balance of the glue and leather is wasted was ~$13usd. Sorry for the blown out image. Taken with an old p&S camera. No image processing software on this ancient Mac.
Attachments
HKedgeguard.jpg
HKedgeguard.jpg (65.14 KiB) Viewed 8794 times
noelh
I may be dull, but my blades are sharp:)
arborrider
Regular

Location: Bayview Township, northwoods of Wisconsin along the SouthShore of Lake Superior

Postby ToneWood » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:29 pm

Coincidentally I was thinking about making leather guards on the way home tonight. You can buy simple leather sewing sets consisting of just a single spool of cord/thread and 2 needles for about £3 on ebay - I already have a cheap Dremel-clone drill, which might be all I need. For material, I have an old saddle-leather belt (from a charity shop) and an old, wide, saddle-leather guitar strap that was defective and so never used. The other tool I am considering is the Speedstitcher or similar Tandy awl - which was recommend by jrccaim.

Leather work appeals to me (v. useful) but I am reticent to start down the path of yet another craft, having only recently started out with carving & green wood working. A cheap kit of leather tools & supplies with instructions would be the ideal solution (e.g. super-stitcher, 2 needles, big spool of cord, metal fittings & any other tools needed that I don't know about yet - e.g. planes, hole markers,...). I just don't have the time or inclination to do all the research at the moment. Some kind of local craft group/club/class would be a useful - for learning and/or commissioning such work, hmm.

Came across this rather nice one on Ben Orford's website, apparently made by his wife Lois:
ToneWood
Regular

Snickaryxa Axe (Sloyd or Carpenters Axe)

Postby ToneWood » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:05 am

It appears that the Hans Karlsson Sloyd axe and Carpenters axe are indeed one and the same, at least according to this webpage: http://traditionalskills.wordpress.com/ ... sloyd-axe/
Hans Karlsson Klensmide AB
Snickaryxa Axe (Sloyd or Carpenters Axe)
Specifications:
Weight: 24.5 oz (695 grams)
Blade length: 4″ (100mm)
Overall length: 14″ (356mm)

A serious competitor (or complement) to the Gransfor Bruks Swedish Carving axe and/or the Ronnqvist Viking axe.
ToneWood
Regular

Postby bulldawg_65 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:58 pm

I recently picked up one of the HK sloyd axes. I traded it for my GB carvers. Really useful for carving carving a spoon blank. Not so good for cleaving or for wasting wood. Because of the light axe head you really have to swing hard to waste wood from a blank. I think the GB wildlife hatchet does it better. However the HK is a true finesse tool. Once the heavy axe work is done, you can nearly carve the entire spoon with it. Not much knife work is needed afterwards. That being said I do miss my GB Carver. I'll be getting a new one as soon as possible.
Phil Steele
bulldawg_65
Regular

Postby gavin » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:55 am

bulldawg_65 wrote:I recently picked up one of the HK sloyd axes.

Who sells these in UK?
Gavin Phillips

- teacher, demonstrator & supporter of greenwoodworking & human-powered turning
- Supplier of Fun & Confidence

info@shed-therapy.com
http://www.shed-therapy.com
gavin
Regular

Postby robin wood » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:08 am

woodland craft supplies stock some HK products not sure if they keep the axes in but would get them.
http://www.robin-wood.co.uk bowls, books and courses
robin wood
Regular

Postby ToneWood » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:22 pm

Matt @ Woodland Craft Supplies (UK) link:
ToneWood wrote:... HK carpenters axe ...: http://www.woodlandcraftsupplies.co.uk/ ... 39046dd6c4

Bulldawg, when you say Gransfor Carver, do you mean you swapped you Gransfor Swedish carving axe (surely not! :D) - or one of their smaller carving "hatchets"?
How do your various carving axes compare (e.g. Ronnqvist-style viking axe v. SCA V. HK v ...)?
ToneWood
Regular

Postby bulldawg_65 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:07 pm

Hi Tone,

Yes, I swapped my GB Swedish-style carver for the HK. My sources here have them both at nearly the same price, the HK being more expensive actually when you add in the cost of a sheath. I was willing to do that because my GB carver was a right hander and I wanted to switch it out for a balanced edge. Right now of my carving style axes I have a Wetterlings wildlife hatchet, a GB hand hatchet, a Gilpin style hatchet, a Bear Creek Tool Co. Swedish-Style hatchet (looks similar to the Ronnqvist axe) and the HK sloyd hatchet. I have several other broad axes and axe heads that I need to haft.

I like the Wetterlings, holds an edge real well, has nice weight to the head and works really well for carving spoons. You can easily carve most of a spoon with it. One criticism is the blade is a little too narrow, makes it difficult to get a good planing cut on a broader spoon blank. Also the price point is great, about $40 less expensive than the GB and was ready for carving out of the box.

The GB hand hatchet is fantastic. The wider blade does a really good job on broader spoon blanks, although I can see it coming up short on a really large spoon blank. It too holds an edge really well and the weight and handle length allows for some really precise swinging. Like the Wetterlings you can carve most of a spoon with it. Also ready for carving right out of the box. Because it is so short though it doesn't work too well as an all-around hatchet.

The Gilpin style hatchet I have is really light, about 1.3 lbs. It was designed as a kindling hatchet. Holds an edge well if not quite as well as the Wetterlings and the GB. Works well on planing cuts on a spoon but not as easily as the others for fine shaping work. It's greatest advantage is, it is the least expensive hatchet of the bunch. I think I spent $25 total with shipping included.

The Bear Creek hatchet I haven't gotten the blade where I like it yet. The edge needs a lot of work and I'm just not happy with it as it is. So the jury is still out as of right now. I'm still looking for a use Ronnqvist axe should one become available at the right price.

Now the HK Sloyd axe. I really do like it. It is very light though, around 700 gr. although it feels lighter. Maybe it is because of the broad blade 4.5 inches. Comes hollow ground from the factory so you have to work on the edge a little. That isn't too bad because the blade is thin and therefore doesn't take a ton of grinding to get the convex edge needed. Does a great job on planing cuts although I find myself holding the axe at the butt of the handle and swinging hard when I am doing them. I'd much rather be using the GB hand hatchet for that even with the shorter handle or even better the GB carver. However, none of the hatchets I have come close to this one when it comes to the actual shaping of the spoon. This hatchet has all the properties needed to carve a spoon almost in its entirety. Like Nic's axes, with proper honing you can use this axe just like a knife. (BTW: you can do this as well with the Wetterlings and the GB hand axe but not as well). Funny thing about this hatchet is that is feels almost dainty in your hand compared to the others. But it is tough as nails. Holds an edge very well. The downside is the price, it is as expensive as the GB Carver. Also, if you plan on using this as your only axe, make sure you have a very accurate swing as you will be swinging it hard and using the full length of the haft when you are working on your spoon's profile.

I hope this answers your question adequately Tone.
Phil Steele
bulldawg_65
Regular

Postby ToneWood » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:49 pm

That's great thanks Phil. As you may know, I have a Gransfor Bruks Swedish carving axe (SCA) and an inexpensive supermarket axe that I have ground for carving (my "LCA" :)). The latter is 600g or 700g, I forget which, and I find it extremely useful BUT as a complement to the SCA rather than as a replacement for it* (it could be a replacement for it but bigger axes are generally better for bigger jobs, the weight does the work - as I'm sure you already know).

My LCA is one of these, pretty sure:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/280744059002? ... 1438.l2649
I wouldn't be without it.

*I've been doing up a 3lb Kent axe recently. Too big for carving really but I've given it deep 1+" carving bevels (it's very sharp now) and reshaped the top and bottom of the handle, which was way too fat (even for my size large hands). I was thinking of using it for flattening the face & bottom of bowl blanks - either that or a Viking-style invasion :D.

BTW I recently bought a badly pitted #2 Kent axe - which I'm trying to clean-up & restore - and a v. good condition Eagle head about the same size which I've re-handled. I'll probably sell these on or give them to family/friends.
ToneWood
Regular

Postby bulldawg_65 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:14 am

The reason I was willing to give up the SCA is because it is a right hander and after using it for a while, I thought I'd be better served by a center grind instead. Besides if I need to flatten the face of a piece of wood I have a couple of hefty broad axes that will do the job better. So now I'm in the market for a new SCA. :)
Phil Steele
bulldawg_65
Regular

Postby ToneWood » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:18 pm

I understand. The HK is far more expensive than the GB SCA in the UK - so sounds like you got a good deal. Seems like several of us are thinking along similar lines re. the SCA, expressing a preference (in theory at least) for symmetric bevels, per Robin Wood's article. I'm pretty happy with the right-hand grind though (and it was cheaper & more readily available at the time), if I didn't have the RH SCA then I'd likely be looking for a similar size side-axe to do bowl blank tops & bases. I'd like to try a symmetrical bevel SCA for comparison though -- so let us know how you get on when you get yours!

If I were you, I think I would get the symmetric bevel SCA and keep the HK axe (or viking axe?) for lighter work. I probably use my 600g LCA for slightly more than 50% of the time, compared to the SCA. I often start off with the SCA to remove bulk and then move to the LCA when greater care & precision are required and/or my arm tires :D. My arm doesn't really tire much at all with the LCA so I can keep using that for a long time. I have a small hatchet now too but haven't felt the need to move to that while carving, so far - the LCA is light enough.

BTW Swedish carving tools are likely to stay expensive for the near future: I listened to a currency trader on the radio 4 yesterday (one of George Soros's colleagues I think). He reckoned he doesn't currently hold any euros or pounds as many of the more developed countries (specifically: UK, Euro-zone, USA, Japan & Switzerland) are all "printing money" which devalues their currencies. He mentioned several countries whose currencies are more stable/strong by comparison: Canada, Australia and... Sweden.
ToneWood
Regular

Previous

Return to Tools