knife sheath

discussion of anything related to tools

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

Re: knife sheath

Postby rico lighthouse » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:37 pm

Ok, since we're on th' topic, any good ideas for a hook knife sheath?
I like th' one you have steve, with th' leather wrapped around... and i think i've seen a carved wooden one, anyone else get creative here?
rico lighthouse
Regular

Postby JonnyP » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:18 pm

rico lighthouse wrote:Ok, since we're on th' topic, any good ideas for a hook knife sheath?
I like th' one you have steve, with th' leather wrapped around... and i think i've seen a carved wooden one, anyone else get creative here?

Its been discussed many times on the Bushcraft forums.. If you want something cheap, use an old 35mm film canister and some imagination. Some old glasses cases work well. Or you could knock up something nice like this, if you can do a bit of leather work. http://www.mjbushcraftleather.co.uk/pouches.html scroll down to see spoon knife case.
JonnyP
Regular

Postby ToneWood » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:09 pm

rico lighthouse wrote:...any good ideas for a hook knife sheath?...
Ben Orford wraps strips of leather around the blades of his hook knives (see his classic hook knife sharpening videos on his website or youtube, part 2 has this wrapping information, at the end).

Alternatively, just get a leather chisel roll and put your hook knife in there with your gouges - that's what I do.

Woven beech bark sheath? See the "Adze guard"-thread, I put up a couple of good links that show how to make one of these, yesterday.
Last edited by ToneWood on Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:15 pm, edited 5 times in total.
ToneWood
Regular

Postby ToneWood » Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:42 pm

steve tomlin wrote:i'm no expert on this at all but i made a roll for my turning tools out of what i'm pretty sure was chrome-tanned leather (horrible sort of blue colour) and it was fine, no rusting at all.

I wonder if the problem here might be wood tannin from working with, say, oak or sweet chestnut - I often get blue-black staining from these woods. Either way, it might be harmless or even beneficial - read on...

rico lighthouse wrote:...del stubbs of pinewood forge... he let me know that chrome tanned leather would rust th' blade and that i needed to use veg tanned leather... he then suggested i take th' knife out immediately and wash it...

I just gained an interesting insight into why veg tan leather might be so much better than chrome-tanned for sheaths & edge guards:
1. veg tan leather is tanned using things like tannin from wood/bark (e.g. from oak & sweet chestnut)
2. tannins typically cause blue-black staining of carbon steel tools
3. rust convertors convert gingery rust (iron III oxide) to a more stable, protective, black iron tannate layer.
When I looked up "rust converter" on wikipedia, it saysthat tannic acid is one of the two primary ingredients of most rust convertors! So perhaps not only is veg tan leather less likely to cause your tools to rust (as chrome leathers do) but it may well convert any existing rust to a protective layer!

Also, perhaps the blue-black tannin stains often seen on tools after working with oak/chestnut is not harmful to them, might not encourage rusting &, on the contrary, might even be protective. Think I'll continue cleaning/stropping my Hans Karlsson tools after use though!
ToneWood
Regular

Postby redsquirrel » Wed May 20, 2015 8:30 am

First a hook knife sheath is difficult to make in leather, not impossible, just a lot of work. A wooden alternative developed from Sean Hellman's design is a solution. Look up Sean's youtube video for the Mora knives and see what's possible.

Second, it is a myth that chrome tanned leather causes rusting any more than veg tanned. If anything itis likely to be the other way round. Peter from The Identity Store explained the chacteristics, and for one document this will explain what's going on. Leather tends to produce acids over the years, and so this probably sets the scene for corrosion, all you then need is some moisture.

I have kept Japanese chisels in chrome tanned leather tool rolls for more than thirty years, they are still as clean as when I bought them, but then I do keep them indoors in the warm. I suspect the rusting problem comes from keeping tools in a shed, which gets cold, so the heat is turned on in the winter, warms the air which can hold more moisture, then the air wanders round to the tools which are still cold, and the moisture condenses onto the tools. A bit of acid, and bing, just what is needed for corrosion.

I now never heat my shed in the winter, just add more clothes.
redsquirrel
Regular

Postby jjj » Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:40 pm

I made this for my crook knife, it's not pretty but does the job. I thought about making a more classy version but this works.
Cheers
Jack
jjj
Regular

Previous

Return to Tools