Anchoring a dowel plate

discussion of anything related to tools

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

Anchoring a dowel plate

Postby gavin » Wed May 16, 2012 6:34 am

When whacking through the plate, I found a lot of wobble. So I made this
I find the metal hammer useful to drive nearly all the way on thicker diameters. I stop when I am anxious the metal hammer will mark the dowel plate and switch to wooden hammer.

Here is how:
Take a log cross-cut to the height you'll want. Split it to avoid the pith. The rule in this is 12 inches, so I guess this one is 14 inches high .

Drill 4 holes - I used 22 mm drill here.

Split planks with froe and if froe is not long enough, add a wedge.

Make stretchers with Veritas dowel cutter, or pole lathe, or whittling, or even your very own dowel plate!
Then drive the stretchers into each plank.
I fixed the plate with 8 mm headed hex screws. Do angle the screws into the work as seen above.

3 stretchers ( and not 4) allows you to get your hand in under the plate to hold the emerging dowel. But 4 holes allows you to fit another one later if you change your mind, or want to convert it into a stool.
Last edited by gavin on Wed May 16, 2012 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gavin Phillips

- teacher, demonstrator & supporter of greenwoodworking & human-powered turning
- Supplier of Fun & Confidence

info@shed-therapy.com
http://www.shed-therapy.com
gavin
Regular

Re: Anchoring a dowel plate

Postby Davie Crockett » Wed May 16, 2012 7:34 am

Great Idea! I'm thinking about making a revolving circular one that I can mount on top of a stump bench.
AKA Dave Munday
Davie Crockett
Regular

Postby gavin » Wed May 16, 2012 9:50 am

Davie Crockett wrote:Great Idea! I'm thinking about making a revolving circular one that I can mount on top of a stump bench.

Rotating plate would be good. You'd only need a small void under the plate so it would flex less when you strike it in the middle.
So many things to make and try out!!
Gavin Phillips

- teacher, demonstrator & supporter of greenwoodworking & human-powered turning
- Supplier of Fun & Confidence

info@shed-therapy.com
http://www.shed-therapy.com
gavin
Regular

Postby jrccaim » Sat May 19, 2012 3:32 am

Wow! Bravo. That is the ultimate dowel-plate holder. I myself position the dowel plate over a doghole on the workbench and go to it, but for my miniature dowels your design is wonderful; I'll make one next winter. Thanks for sharing.
jrccaim
Regular

Postby ToneWood » Sat May 19, 2012 11:18 pm

Take a look at the PBS website for the WoodWright's Workshop, the episode on hickory: http://www.pbs.org/woodwrightsshop/video/3100/3103.html
Roy Underhill makes the tines for a hickory rake by pushing them through a metal dowel plate mount on the seat of his shave horse, which apparently has a hole drilled through it, allowing the tines to fall through into a bucket underneath.
ToneWood
Regular

Postby jrccaim » Mon May 21, 2012 3:02 am

ToneWood wrote:Take a look at the PBS website for the WoodWright's Workshop, the episode on hickory: http://www.pbs.org/woodwrightsshop/video/3100/3103.html
Roy Underhill makes the tines for a hickory rake by pushing them through a metal dowel plate mount on the seat of his shave horse, which apparently has a hole drilled through it, allowing the tines to fall through into a bucket underneath.

Actually (didn't watch video; have all his books) Roy is using a sharpened tent-pole cutter on his shaving horse. In the books, he uses a dowel plate for the same purpose and puts one foot on the post to which he clamps the plate. But you could easily bore a hole in your horse and clamp the dowel plate over it.
jrccaim
Regular

Return to Tools