Which axe?

discussion of anything related to tools

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

Which axe?

Postby RJWEcology » Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:56 pm

Ahoy hoy!

I've got a £20 gift voucher for Axminster Tools and I'm unsure on what to spend it on. I was thinking of using it towards either the carpenters axe or a small forest axe. I've looked at the Wetterlings SHA and the Wetterlings Carpenters axe but I'm unsure which is the best for my needs. I enjoy a bit of spoon carving as well as trimming larger items for the pole lathe. I already have a side axe and a small Elwell hatchet in my collection.

They also have a Japanese style axe which is also interesting (I remember Robin talking about them on the Facebook page). Any ideas / suggestions are very welcome! :D

http://www.axminster.co.uk/page/find/?n ... NGS&page=1
“When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world” ~ John Muir
RJWEcology
Regular

Re: Which axe?

Postby ToneWood » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:07 pm

I think the carpenters axe would probably be a good choice for you, bearing in mind your current axes and intended uses. Personal preferences are bound to vary. I have different axes and needs, most likely I would go for one of the Swedish axes from Wetterlings - yes perhaps the carpenters axe - which looks like a cross between a Kent-style axe & a carving axe with nice deep "carving" bevels but I have such axes already - so probably the Wetterlings Wildlife hatchet which is currently on sale :). I'm assuming it is similar to the Gransfors Wildlife hatchet which Robin Wood rates as a smaller carving axe (also a generally handy kind of size). The Wetterlings Small Axe is interesting but similar yet less versatile & more expensive than the Wildlife. But perhaps your Elwell hatchet is similar to the Wildlife hatchet (I have a hatchet that is 2lb, which is not really the same thing - but I recently got a very small hatchet which probably is quite close).

I might also consider a side axe but you already have one of those. If you are into Ray Mears style bushcraft then small forest is his style but you might also consider the Swedish Forest Axe (for snedding branches) or the small (or large) Hunting axe (if you skin deer as well as chop wood :)).

I love Japanese stuff in general but I wouldn't get the Japanese axe - I seem to recall that the head is a very broad triangle when viewed from above, which I figure would make it a splitting axe. However others (such as Robin Wood) can probably provide better insight on Japanese axes - also a lot of European cooper's axes seem to have similar triangle shaped heads.
Last edited by ToneWood on Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:29 pm, edited 9 times in total.
ToneWood
Regular

Postby robin wood » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:52 pm

My thoughts on axes http://greenwood-carving.blogspot.co.uk ... craft.html

Avoid the Japanese axe. It was fun when it was £20 delivered it is a great kindling splitter but not a carving or cutting tool.
http://www.robin-wood.co.uk bowls, books and courses
robin wood
Regular

Postby RJWEcology » Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:48 am

Thanks for the reply guys. The problem I have is that the voucher is for Axminster tools (which don't have GB axes). I might look at the Wetterlings Wildlife Hatchet or the Small hunting Axe again and see if they suit my needs (basically, something versatile).
“When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world” ~ John Muir
RJWEcology
Regular

Postby robin wood » Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:13 pm

axminster do decent sharpening stones
http://www.robin-wood.co.uk bowls, books and courses
robin wood
Regular

Postby RJWEcology » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:54 pm

robin wood wrote:My thoughts on axes http://greenwood-carving.blogspot.co.uk ... craft.html

Well.... Just picked up a bargain from Gumtree! £30 for a Gransfors Bruks Small forest Axe! Excellent condition with leather sheath and book. Only a few minutes walk from my house! Huzzah!

I'll look into getting something from the Axminster tool sharpening section (maybe a diamond bench stone or something).

I can't believe my luck! :D
RJWEcology
Regular

Postby ToneWood » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:32 pm

Congratulations. I am wary of Gumtree, apparently it is used for various used-car cons (Google it, I did when my brother came across a deal that was way too good to be true and asked what I thought) & a colleague's bike (he cycles to work) appeared on there shortly after it was stolen.
ToneWood
Regular

Postby RJWEcology » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:08 pm

I'm cautious of Gumtree also! Lots of things on there don't seem very legit. In this case I just got lucky (the chap selling it had a genuine reason). Ill be meetin my local bodger group tomorrow to have a play!
RJWEcology
Regular

Return to Tools